Pepsi Maxil
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Blum, Jon Blum Empty Blum, Jon Blum 21st April 2020, 4:09 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

These are absolute classics.

"Unmitigated self-obsessed bollocks" Well said, guy in the hat. That describes everything he says perfectly.

2Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 21st April 2020, 5:22 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

I'm just astonished that the guy still manages to maintain such an ego. All that time spent shoring up the new series on the net....and still no gig. 😂

At this point, the vast majority of his written work has seen publication only by gallifrey base.

3Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 22nd April 2020, 11:53 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

LOL Jon Blum is one of the most condescending, new who apologists on the web, but I have to say I don't dislike him at all.

I'm not sure how he feels about me LOL, (I've noticed I sometimes annoy him to the point where I don't get a "Cheers" only a "Regards" Jon Blum) but I enjoy our chats on GB.

Yes it can get frustrating the frog logic he uses. "Hartnell flubbed a line in 1966, so that proves there are no constants in DW." Still he nevertheless always puts the time into responding to you, actually does try and answer your points and is rarely if ever a dickhead about it. He is extremely condescending, but never nasty.

The worst posters on GB were people like Nullain who got really hysterical and nasty at the drop of a hat. To be fair to him even Nullain seems to have calmed down a bit now. We've all had periods where we've been dicks online (look at me and Mike's feud here, neither comes out of that particularly well.)

Still Jon Blum never reacted the way Nullain did, others like Loonyboyx meanwhile are so ideologically driven there really is no point in arguing with them. Loonyboyx said that it's a good thing Jodie's viewers are in the toilet as it means fewer white supremacists watching.

What do you say to that? Seriously? The Fantastic Alice Fox is another one that I feel is a bit too ideologically driven. I think I was a bit too hard on her though and I at least tried to make amends, not sure if she accepted. Still I do think from an argument point of view she is far too ideologically driven. For instance she couldn't accept me hating the Doctor/Master pairing was anything other than homophobia.

Again compare that to the Buffy boards where I did a thread going on about hating the Spike/Buffy pairing and everbody, even die hard Spuffy shippers were polite and had a proper discussion with me on it.

See here.

Buffy Boads: Was Spike Falling in Love With Buffy A Mistake: Link

The worst on GB though are the total hypocrites like Count Alucard who white knights about how as a white man he desperately wants to see a black Doctor, tries to lecture me on being a sexist for not wanting the Doctor to be a woman, yet later when I brought up Amy Winehouse in another thread, said she was an ugly chimp, and a skank.

He is literally BeKind! That really isn't a parody.

Jon Blum whilst condescending and at times desperate in his attempts to defend NuWho is nowhere near as bad as that lot.

I don't think Blum is a shill to be honest. I think New Who fandom has become cult like. Again because it was so shamefully bullied by cunts in the media, when it became popular again, then guys like RTD became almost holy figures. To criticise them was to criticise the people who had delivered us to glory LOL.

You don't see that in other fandoms like Buffy. As you can see from the board, my critique of Spuffy, though controversial as it's not the majority opinion, wasn't treated like actual heresy the way it would have been on GB if it was the Doctor and the Master (which ironically isn't even canon in Classic Who, where as at least James Marsters said he always played Spike as having a perverse attraction to Buffy.)

Cheers Burrunjor

4Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 22nd April 2020, 12:27 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

There is something uniquely sinister about the Doctor Who fanbase, a cult-like toxicity that clearly existed long before the SJWs came along. What is it about the show that always seems to have attracted such deranged people?

5Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 22nd April 2020, 3:18 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

ClockworkOcean wrote:There is something uniquely sinister about the Doctor Who fanbase, a cult-like toxicity that clearly existed long before the SJWs came along. What is it about the show that always seems to have attracted such deranged people?

It's because of the way it was bullied in the 90s and 00s. DW was technically bigger than any other sci fi franchise. Even Star Wars. I know Star Wars was more well known around the world, but DW was the only one that became part of the furniture for want of a better phrase.

In the 60s-70s and even the early 80s it was something that literally everybody liked.

Men, women, children, old folks, they'd all watch it at some point, the same way we all dip in and out of Soaps. Everyone knew not only the character, but it's lore really well.

Most sci fi series are either niche shows with a big following like Xena and Buffy, or if they are hits like B7 it's only for a few years, before they fade into niche territory. Even Star Wars was only in the public eye when there where films out.

DW however was always there, even if it wasn't the most popular show, and it's fans were spoiled as a result, so it was always going to be hard when it became just another cult favourite (which was always going to happen as nothing can stay mainstream forever.)

However DW did get it worse during the 90s and the 00s in all fairness than other series.

Star Trek may have been made fun of, but it was almost always in an affectionate way. Frasier for instance makes jokes about Star Trek, but Kelsey Grammer is a huge Trekkie. (He even speaks Klingon.)

With DW however it was a really nasty. Getting the guy who actually canned it on, to gloat about how it's just a laughing stock, has been forgotten, and present a completely one sided argument against it is shameful.

It is such a shinning example to me of why I despise modern comedians, as it is such a terrible example of how they love to punch down, go along with everything the media says and what unprincipled hypocrites they are. Paul Merton who sneered at DW would later appear in a Doctor Who themed advert for Have I Got News For You.

On top of this as I pointed out before the British public do love to gang up on and bully people. It's an ugly part of our culture, but it's true. It's because we have a bigger entertainment industry than everywhere else except America, so we naturally are more obsessed with celebrity.

However America is at least a big giant country, with so many states that have at least their own mini culture.

Whilst the likes of Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales all obviously have their own cultures, the country is overall smaller, and so we are more celebrity obsessed. Unfortunately it's just as big a joy for people to tear celebs down as it is to build them up.

(You should check out the X-Factor thread. Katie Waissel that we talk about there is perhaps the shinning example of the ugly side of Britain loving to collectively bully someone.)

All of this made DW fans terribly insecure to the point where they were desperate to have it back above all costs. It didn't matter how different it was, just as long as DW was back to being mainstream.

The fact that RTD managed that made him the messiah to certain fans. As a result he and his little clique became royalty that you were never allowed to criticise.

"If you criticise the show the way it is now, you're a ming mong who would have made the show in such a way that we would still be thought of as anoraks."

The failure of recent series has caused these people to go into overdrive. It IS like Magnus Greel in that now they may be forced to admit they were always wrong.

New Who in the long run didn't really accomplish much. Sure it did make Who mainstream again, but a revival of such a beloved and iconic classic would always have had a chance at doing that. (Hence why Rose was such a big hit.)

Ultimately however the formula RTD used burnt out fast, hasn't aged well, and everything after him has barring a few Matt seasons (one of which was again given a boost by the 50th) flopped badly.

New Who basically only produced 2 successful Doctors Tennant and Smith. Eccelston was succesful, but he fucked off because he couldn't stand the way they were making the show. Capaldi meanwhile tanked, as has saint Jodie. With True Who meanwhile it was only really the last two Doctors that weren't successful with the public.

(In both cases that was also as a result of direct sabotage, as Colin was doing fine until the cancellation, whilst McCoy never got a chance with the poor timeslot.)

The New Who formula was by and large a disaster. More bad seasons than good ones, more flop, or otherwise unworkable Doctors, barely any new monsters or lore, (compare that to what the later Star Treks brought to the franchise, through the borg and the Cardassians.) And a run that isn't even half as long, not to mention irreperable damage to the lore and character in popular culture.

As a result all the big voices like Jon Blum do cling to all change is good, almost like a religious belief because they can't admit they were wrong.

Cheers Burrunjor

6Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 22nd April 2020, 5:57 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

ClockworkOcean wrote:There is something uniquely sinister about the Doctor Who fanbase, a cult-like toxicity that clearly existed long before the SJWs came along. What is it about the show that always seems to have attracted such deranged people?

I guess opposites attract. Also the Doctor Who fandom is perceived as being quite weak so any self-righteous bully can simply walk in and assume a "high" position in fandom using the right tactics.  Star Wars fans seem to have a bit more fight in them.

7Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 23rd April 2020, 11:07 am

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

I'd argue that it is only because of the influence of the vileness that is American culture that British folk have started idolising idiots.

Even if we go back 30 or 40 years, you will see the calibre of people the public looked up to was much higher.

It is only after we stopped producing so much of our own stuff, and started accepting pathetic American crap that our society truly rotted.

I'm seeing this in Japan now as the Japanese start to get more American crap. I've certainly noticed a decline in the behaviour of children who partake in it.

I'll be so happy when Disney collapses, and puts an end to one of the biggest pushers of American "culture".

8Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 25th April 2020, 5:47 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I don't normally like to credit the man-hating feminists anything....

But Jon Blum seems to be very much the obnoxious kind of figure the term 'mansplaining' was tailored to describe.

9Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 25th April 2020, 6:36 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indeed.

Has anyone read anything from the Jon and Kate team? I once read a Blake's 7 novel written by them but it was so dull and generic that I failed to finish it. I think I actually sold it within a few weeks of purchasing it.

10Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 25th April 2020, 11:49 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I've only heard The Fearmonger once.

It was mostly just woke propaganda from what little I remember.

11Blum, Jon Blum Empty Re: Blum, Jon Blum 26th April 2020, 2:52 am

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

It's clearly obvious why BF never got him to do any more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum