Planet Of The Spiders

+2
Pepsi Maxil
REDACTED
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Planet Of The Spiders Empty Planet Of The Spiders 24th March 2020, 12:09 pm

REDACTED

What are your thoughts on Jon Pertwee's swan song?

2Planet Of The Spiders Empty Re: Planet Of The Spiders 24th March 2020, 12:34 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

He should gone out in a serial similar to Inferno. I find this one a bit ropey for the most part although it doesn't bore me like Androzani does.

3Planet Of The Spiders Empty Re: Planet Of The Spiders 24th March 2020, 12:36 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

A bit padded but I like it.

Definitely makes me pine for the days when the writers put thematic substance and soul into the storytelling.

4Planet Of The Spiders Empty Re: Planet Of The Spiders 24th March 2020, 8:21 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Probably my favourite Pertwee story and 3rd favourite story of all.
Despite its faults, like the boring chase sequence which I always skip through. and the hash job they made of Episode 6 post-cliffhanger reprise, and Jenny Laird's terrible performance as Neska; I can't help but love it.
I think the chemistry between Jon and Liz is greatly under acknowledged, understandably so by the longer pairing of Tom and Liz who generated their own fabulous chemistry; but nevertheless, it's one of the best things about S11. The regeneration scene is beautifully handled, with great subtlety; and the overall atmosphere and central theme of this story is something that NuWho could never achieve in a million years.

5Planet Of The Spiders Empty Re: Planet Of The Spiders 25th March 2020, 8:14 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Hate spiders but I love this story. My favourite line?

Sarah Jane: "You're just like everybody else."
Tommy: "I sincerely hope not."

Big Grin

6Planet Of The Spiders Empty Re: Planet Of The Spiders 25th March 2020, 5:56 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

As far as last stories for a Doctor, I'd rank Spiders second after Log, but strictly as a regeneration story I like Spiders the best of all off them.

The Doctor's greatest strength, his scientific curiosity, ends up being his undoing, in having collected that Metebelis crystal. "Yes, my greed for knowledge, for information. He's saying that all this is basically my fault. If I hadn't taken the crystal in the first place."

And we learn a little more about the Doctor's backstory: The Doctor didn't just study 'Cosmic Science' with the Master back on Gallifrey, he also hung out with guys like K'Anpo. This explains why he might have found Time Lord life confining, and perhaps where he got his fondness for Earth.

Spiders is a story that deals with the Doctor's character fundamentally: who he is, what he's about, and does it really well, -  without taking away from the mystery of who the Doctor is, and giving us information we'd really rather not have or contradicting what we already know, but just by adding a little to the character in a way that makes sense  - unlike every time new poo tries it. - In a way Spiders is what Twice Upon a Turd wanted to be but completely failed at.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum