You are not connected. Please login or register

The Visitation- An anomaly?

+3
stengos
Ludders
Tanmann
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty The Visitation- An anomaly? 6th March 2020, 11:43 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The Visitation is probably the most 'trad' story you could think of (modelled very much on Pertwee's The Time Warrior, with bits of The Silurians, and a story that'd feel right at home in Season 14), and probably one of the more 'sobering' stories of Season 19.

But in a way, Season 18 and 19 were so far out there in their high concept material, that The Visitation does feel like a much needed kiss of familiarity from a long lost era.

But also as an Eric Saward story, it seems to curiously defy most of the cliches usually associated with his work.

Aside from the opening scene, there hardly any deaths in it, which is a far cry from the excess collateral he later became notorious for.

The Doctor is mostly central to events and an unambiguous hero who can be counted on to do what's right.

Richard Mace, in some ways seems a prototype for Revelation's Orcini and other preferred mercenaries. But notably he's a peaceful man who usually abhors the use of deadly force, and is characterized as a coward in contrast to the brave Doctor who has to inspire him to heroic courage (rather than taking the lead over the Doctor).

It's also rooted firmly in the historical in a way none of Saward's later more futurist stories were.

In a way it almost feels like one of Eric Saward's more innocent stories from him, and a brief glimpse of him as a writer before he became the Eric Saward we all know today.

Back when his concern was just being a guest writer, penning his instinctive folk memory of what the show was once like (and perhaps interspersed with a sense of what Hammer Horror cinema was like), rather than before he became full-time story editor, and seemingly felt the responsibility to push the franchise to compete with a more violent modern zeitgeist.

In that sense it's quite an anomalous story from him, that betrays very little of his later show vision, or indeed his later controversies. It's funny how some Who writers start out compared to how they end up.

2The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 7th March 2020, 6:32 am

Ludders

Ludders

It's always been my pick of the season, although largely because of the weakness of the stories around it.
Overall it's a good, solid adventure, but I've always found 19 to be Davo's weakest season. I think some of his later stories are better than this.
Having said that, the Davison era (and the 80s in general) is long overdue a rewatch.
I'm planning to continue on where I left off at the end of S16 and go right through to 1989. I haven't done a comprehensive viewing of the 80s since about 2003.

3The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 7th March 2020, 8:08 am

stengos

stengos

I love the story. It sort of reminds me of Time Warrior although on the whole I think The Visitation is better acted. Time Warrior has the better adversary though.

The Terrileptils are okay but very much rubber chaps in suits. They lack mobility - their arrms stuck to their torsos - which becomes very restrictive, especially when they get into fights near the end of episode 4. However, they are the sort of thing you forgive and gloss over when so many other aspects of a story are spot on.

The android could have worked so much better but it was partially ruined by (apparrently) letting the kids at the local kindergarten finish off the paint work during their Thursday afternoon finger painting class. Well maybe thats not true but dull silver would have surficed imho.

Michael Robbins / Richard Mace is very good despite what i have said elswhere - i rewatched it recently. He provides a nice touch of cowardly humour for the procedings and like Tanmann says, the Doctor's cajoling of him to be braver works nicely. His nervousness at the proceedings is a well judged mixture of deference for the aristocratic owners of the manor and his perfectly understandable trepidation surrounding the events he finds himself embroiled in.

There are some very nice bits of dialogue between the Doctor and some of the companions. The scenes where he and Nyssa explore the manor on their own are very enjoyable - the two of them work really well together. Definitely my favourite companion at this point. Tegan is also quite good in this. In particular I enjoy when she is strapped down in the Terri's laboratory arguing with the fish-man.

Michael Melia is excellent as the Teri. The confontations between him and Davison are spot on, utilising well judged dialogue.

I'd agree that the Doctor is very much in hero mode in this which is probably why his relationship with the cowardly Mace works so well.

Adric was shit.

4The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 7th March 2020, 9:16 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I do think the Terileptil suits and robot design let this down slightly. Plus I think the director is well suited for period drama, but their style goes a bit flat in the sci-fi bits.

I think Saward said that the Terileptils looked best when they were wearing medieval cloaks and cowls in the exterior scenes, as it achieved a nice juxtaposition, and it would've been better if they'd stayed in cowls throughout, rather than largely being 'naked'.

5The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 7th March 2020, 9:30 am

stengos

stengos

Tanmann wrote:I think Saward said that the Terileptils looked best when they were wearing medieval cloaks and cowls in the exterior scenes, as it achieved a nice juxtaposition, and it would've been better if they'd stayed in cowls throughout, rather than largely being 'naked'.

Yes. Spot on. I agree completely. Don't understand why the Director thought otherwise. At least i assume it was his / her decision to take the cloaks off.

6The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 7th March 2020, 12:11 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

stengos wrote:
Tanmann wrote:I think Saward said that the Terileptils looked best when they were wearing medieval cloaks and cowls in the exterior scenes, as it achieved a nice juxtaposition, and it would've been better if they'd stayed in cowls throughout, rather than largely being 'naked'.

Yes. Spot on. I agree completely. Don't understand why the Director thought otherwise. At least i assume it was his / her decision to take the cloaks off.

I suppose plotwise it made sense to have them disrobed and fully in the flesh when in their private hideout.

Visually though, it just overexposed them and their deficiencies, and quickly made them a lot less visually interesting too.

I think it was taking the "putting the expense onscreen" mindset a little too literally.

7The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 8th March 2020, 3:57 am

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Sadako wrote:But also as an Eric Saward story, it seems to curiously defy most of the cliches usually associated with his work.

Get over it and stop crying.

Not everyone shares your opinion, so stop generalising.

Sawards stuff was a hell of a lot lot better than Williams/Adams pantomimic crap.

"The Visitation" was no different to other Saward stuff in that he was attempting to emulate Robert Holmes rather than Play School like Williams/Adams were.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

8The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 8th March 2020, 10:27 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Rob Filth wrote:he was attempting to emulate Robert Holmes rather than Play School like Williams/Adams were.

Of course....

I mean Play School did stuff *just* like City of Death, scene-for-scene, didn't they?

9The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 8th March 2020, 12:55 pm

Eddie Hitler

Eddie Hitler

''Oh god, and so it goes on. Year in, year out, slime in this ear, slime in that ear.''

''DON'T YOU EVER YEARN FOR CHANGE?''

10The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 8th March 2020, 12:58 pm

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

Always loved the visitation, the character of Richard Mace & Michael Robbins performance.
However, I've just listened to two of Eric Saward's Richard Mace plays from the 70's and the only thing the same about Mace is the name.

The Richard Mace of Saward's plays is a late 19th century actor/sleuth & frequenter of the underworld. He's also quite brave and vengeful. Nothing remotely like the 16th century highwayman as depicted in the visitation. I was always led to believe it was the same character.

11The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 8th March 2020, 1:09 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I probably should take the time to listen to more of Saward's radio plays, as there's quite a few uploads of them on youtube.

12The Visitation- An anomaly? Empty Re: The Visitation- An anomaly? 9th March 2020, 11:08 am

Richie

Richie

Eddie Hitler wrote:''Oh god, and so it goes on. Year in, year out, slime in this ear, slime in that ear.''

''DON'T YOU EVER YEARN FOR CHANGE?''

''Alan Rickman, eat yer heart out...''

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum