stengos
Pepsi Maxil
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Phil Collins Empty Phil Collins 18th February 2020, 5:00 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Any Phil Collins fans on the forum? His work is absolutely brilliant! Definitely one of the coolest artists of all time.

2Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 18th February 2020, 5:30 pm

stengos

stengos

I like him. Some of his albums are among my all time favourites - Hello I Must Be Going, But Seriously, No Jacket Required. I used to listen to him a lot in the eighties and nineties.

I found his later albums were a bit more bland however - Dance Into the Light and Testify in particular.

Going Back was a set of Motown covers. It didn't work for me. He came across as having no passion in his voice on that one, as if he was phoning his peformance in over the phone.

I found Face Value was a bit bleak despite having In The Air Tonight on it. The track The Roof is Leaking is the very personification of dreary.

I also liked some of the work he did with Genesis, particularly the albums Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance and the self named Genesis.

3Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 18th February 2020, 6:02 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I can't say I'm a huge fan, but I do respect his talent. He's certainly done a lot of good work over the years.

I more just haven't had the time to listen to a lot of his stuff.

4Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 19th February 2020, 4:40 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

I'm a huge fan of his early work with Brand X and 70s Genesis. His solo career and 80s/90s Genesis aren't really my cup of tea, but his immense talent is undeniable.

5Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 28th February 2020, 11:30 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

This one is good if slightly depressing. His music never fails to captivate me.

6Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 28th February 2020, 12:39 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Westlife should've been shot for their cover of "Against the Odds."

7Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 3rd March 2020, 4:50 pm

stengos

stengos

Pepsi Maxil Foley wrote:This one is good if slightly depressing. His music never fails to captivate me.

I really like that one. Beautiful haunting vocals shared with Sting I think. They sung it together at the 1985 Live Aid Concert.

8Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 3rd March 2020, 8:27 pm

Zarius

Zarius

It's also used in the ending of one of the seasons of Miami Vice (which Phil guest-starred on eventually)

9Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 3rd March 2020, 9:39 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Zarius wrote:It's also used in the ending of one of the seasons of Miami Vice (which Phil guest-starred on eventually)

Yes. It was used in the Season 2 finale "Sons and Lovers" during the funeral of Rico's lover, Angelina. The song is used effectively in the episode.

Collins appeared earlier on in the same season in "Phill The Shill."

His music was used a lot in the series. The song "In The Air Tonight" was used twice, once in the pilot and then again in a season 4 episode:

10Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 4th March 2020, 4:30 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

"Genesis reveal comeback - and first tour in 13 years"

Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks announced their comeback on Wednesday and said they would be gigging in the UK and Ireland for The Last Domino? tour at the end of the year.

Phil Collins Genesi10

Collins, who has historically provided both drums and vocals, is thought to be unable to play the instrument due to a nerve problem, so the band will be joined by his 18-year-old son, Nicholas, on drums. Long-time guitar and bass player Daryl Stuermer will also join them for the shows.

Peter Gabriel, one of the group's founding members, will not be taking part.

Collins, guitarist Rutherford and keyboard player Banks, all 69, made up the band's most successful and long-lasting line-up during the late 1970s, '80s and early '90s.

Posting on a new Twitter account for the band, set up at the end of 2019, they said they were "delighted" to announce their return.

Personally, I'm just sad - though not surprised - that Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett won't be involved, though I'm sure the 80s inclined members here will be pleased.

11Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 4th March 2020, 4:42 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I'd be up for seeing that.

12Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 4th March 2020, 4:46 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Tanmann wrote:I'd be up for seeing that.

If there were at least as much 70s material in the setlist as in 2007, then I'd be up for it, but it doesn't sound like there will be due to Phil's physical condition. Still, I wish them all the best.

13Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 4th March 2020, 4:55 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

ClockworkOcean wrote:
Tanmann wrote:I'd be up for seeing that.

If there were at least as much 70s material in the setlist as in 2007, then I'd be up for it, but it doesn't sound like there will be due to Phil's physical condition. Still, I wish them all the best.

That's a shame.

I'm particularly fond of their "And Then There Were Three..." album, so it'd be a shame to not hear some of that live.

But it'd be worth seeing them live just to be able to say I had.

14Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 4th March 2020, 7:23 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Pepsi Maxil Foley wrote:His music was used a lot in the series. The song "In The Air Tonight" was used twice, once in the pilot and then again in a season 4 episode:

That is probably the greatest television scene in U.S history for me

15Phil Collins Empty Re: Phil Collins 6th March 2020, 7:45 pm

stengos

stengos

If anyone is interested the Genesis Tour Dates seem to be as follows:

Legendary British rock band GENESIS have confirmed details of a reunion tour.

The Last Domino? Tour will see band members Tony Banks, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford headline arenas across the UK throughout November and December 2020.

Tickets to see Genesis live will be available from 9:00 on Friday 6 March 2020

Dates

Monday 23 November 2020 M&S Bank Arena Liverpool
Thursday 26 November 2020 Utilita Arena Newcastle
Sunday 29 November 2020 The O2 London
Monday 30 November 2020 The O2 London
Wednesday 2 December 2020 First Direct Arena Leeds
Saturday 5 December 2020 Arena Birmingham Birmingham
Tuesday 8 December 2020 Manchester Arena Manchester
Friday 11 December 2020 The SSE Hydro Glasgow

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]