Rank the decades (60s onwards)

+4
iank
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
REDACTED
Pepsi Maxil
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Rank the decades (60s onwards) 16th February 2020, 11:09 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

1. 80s
2. 90s
3. 60s
4. 70s
5. 00s
6. 10s

2Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 16th February 2020, 11:17 pm

REDACTED

1: 80s
2: 70s
3: 60s
4: 90s
5: 10s (2010-14)
6: 00s
7: 10s (2015-19)

3Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 16th February 2020, 11:18 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Do you mean in terms of films and TV, or in general?
General:
1. 90s
2. 80s
3. 00s
4. 70s
5. 60s
6. 10s

TV:
1. 90s
2. 10s
3. 00s
4. 80s
5. 70s
6. 60s

Film
1. 70s
2. 90s
3. 80s
4. 00s
5. 10s
6. 60s

4Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 16th February 2020, 11:20 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:Do you mean in terms of films and TV, or in general?
General:
1. 90s
2. 80s
3. 00s
4. 70s
5. 60s
6. 10s

TV:
1. 90s
2. 10s
3. 00s
4. 80s
5. 70s
6. 60s

Film
1. 70s
2. 90s
3. 80s
4. 00s
5. 10s
6. 60s

Anything really. TV, music, movies, fashion, haircuts, literature.

5Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 16th February 2020, 11:43 pm

iank

iank

TV/Film:

80s
90s
70s
60s
2010s
2000s

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

6Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 17th February 2020, 12:26 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The 80s is the only decade that sexually arouses me.

7Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 17th February 2020, 1:53 am

iank

iank

You clearly haven't seen enough 70s movies.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

8Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 17th February 2020, 2:00 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

iank wrote:You clearly haven't seen enough 70s movies.

The hair isn't big enough.

9Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 17th February 2020, 2:05 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I'd say it goes like this.

Dinosaur films and tv shows 80s-00s.

Vampire and supernatural themed shows 90s-00s

Giant monster movies 50s-70s.

Sci fi television series 60s-90s on both sides of the Atlantic.

American sitcoms, 90s-00s.

Westerns the 60s-70s (American westerns don't really do it for me ironically LOL. Spagehti westerns on the other hand? Yes! Love Lee Van Cleef.)

Kung Fu movies the 60s and early 70s. The Bruceploitation thing that tries to cash in on Bruce Lee is a bit shit, but then it gets a resurgence in the 80s in Hong Kong when Jackie Chan comes into his own, Lam Ching Ying kicks off the Chinese horror boom, and that eventually makes its way to the west in the 90s and we get the likes of Michelle Yeoh making it big that decade in both the west and east. It died down a bit in the late 00s though.

Female singers, 50s-60s (America mostly) 00s-10s (UK mostly, but some American stand outs like the big nosed goddess Lady Gaga and Lana Del Ray as well as some European stand outs like Caro Emerald.)

All male Bands 60s-70s, the Beatles, Queen, The Animals, The Kinks etc.

Guitarists 60s, Hendrix, Santana, Eric Clapton, Peter Green.

Punk rock 70s-80s.

As for women, well women are always beautiful, but my personal tastes would have to be the 60s, 70s and early 00s.

I liked the 60s beehive look. The dark eyeliner, tall hair is very attractive to me. (I wonder who could have influenced my tastes that way LOL.)

As for the 70s I LOVE 70s black women. Again black women are always especially gorgeous, but the huge afros, and sassy attitude of 70s black women makes my dick want to explode.

As for the 00s I like the more kind of laid back, laddette look of a lot of early 00s girls like Faith from Buffy.

Minus the being a serial killer looney, Faith always seems like the type you could hang out with.

Rank the decades (60s onwards) Faith

10Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 17th February 2020, 6:20 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

If I'm just ranking everything in general, then it comes our rather boring (in order):

60s
70s
80s
90s
00s
10s

If I included everything, but did the last 100 years:

60s
70s
50s
80s
40s
90s
30s
20s
2000s
2010s

just TV (50s onwards):

70s
60s
80s
90s
00s
50s
10s

just movies (30s onwards)

80s
90s
60s
50s
70s
30s
00s
40s
10s

11Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 1:19 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Music: 80s
TV: 80s
Movies: 80s
Women: 80s
Fashion: 80s
Cars: 80s
Technology: 80s

12Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 6:15 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Music: 70s
TV: 70s
Movies: 80s
Women: 80s
Fashion: 80s
Cars: 60s
Technology: 60s

But, I think the real question here isn't which decade in the late 20th century is the best, but why did everything in these categories start to go to shit by the 2010s?

Technology and cars started to go to shit in the late-90s/00s

TV and Movies got shit in the 00s/10s (movies more in the late-00s, tv more in the mid-10s)

There's still good music - but good music is not poplar and popular music is not good. (The last time new music you heard on the radio was any good was the 90s)

The other categories are more subjective, but yeah they were better in the 80s...

Last edited by Fendelman on 18th February 2020, 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

13Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 6:18 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I honestly don't know. There just seems to be a lack of spirit in music and television today. I can't believe how vacuous a lot of it is.

14Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 6:22 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I only like new music if it done in the style of older decades:

This piece makes me pine for a time that I never existed in.

15Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 6:50 pm

#BeKind

#BeKind

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I honestly don't know. There just seems to be a lack of spirit in music and television today. I can't believe how vacuous a lot of it is.

its just yuor bigotry and nostalgia, tv film and music is more diverse and therefour beter tahn ever before

https://doctorwhofeministfront.tumblr.com

16Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 6:52 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I only like new music if it done in the style of older decades:

I listen to that sort of music all the time. I'm not sure exactly what to call it, but there's loads of it on youtube, and it somehow manages to distill the 80s in a - it's more 80s than the actual 80s - sort of way.

Last edited by Fendelman on 22nd February 2020, 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total

17Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 10:24 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Oh my God, did anyone else see the Brits? Bloody hell, it gets worse! 'Dave' saying 'De Prime Minister is a racist, innit blud' (and another rapper oddly having a go at Teresa May... SO last year...) then what's left of The Faces staggering out to grunt their way thru a couple of old numbers.

How has music become so polarised - I honestly think you'd have to be different species to enjoy each style of music now!

18Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 10:49 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Mott1 wrote:Oh my God, did anyone else see the Brits? Bloody hell, it gets worse! Stormzy and 'Dave' saying 'De Prime Minister is a racist, innit blud' then what's left of The Faces staggering out to grunt their way thru a  couple of old numbers.

How has music become so polarised - I honestly think you'd have to be different species to enjoy each style of music now!

Last time I watched the Brits was in 2008. You can guess why Big Grin

Even Paloma Faith and Lady Gaga couldn't tempt me back. Why would they when I can just watch their performances on youtube later and not have to sit through James Corden.

To me its always been a bit of a joke. Sure its given us some memorable peformances from Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson, Paloma Faith, but most of the time its just shit.

In regards to Maxil's love of the 80s, all I will say is try not idolise one decade too much. All decades have their artistic strengths and they may seem amazing in hindsight, because time filters out the shit.

The 60s for instance we are led to believe musically was all this, as this is what lasted.

In truth however Ken Dodd spent longer on the charts than any of them in the 60s.

19Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 11:01 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
I will say is try not idolise one decade too much. All decades have their artistic strengths and they may seem amazing in hindsight, because time filters out the shit.

I enjoy the "shit" stuff, too. Jaws: The Revenge is one of my favourite films after all. I've never really cared much about what Joe Public thinks is good and bad. I still think Season 24 is the best season of Doctor Who and Mr. Shouty across the pond isn't going to convince me otherwise.

20Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 11:02 pm

Mott1

Mott1

And at least Doddy went on to put in a perfectly acceptable performance in the McCoy era. Better than that boy band with the mop tops!

Joking aside it is depressing. I assumed the new bands and artists would be a turn-off but when Chris Evans recently brought back TFI Friday it was alarming not how the new groups fared - they were fine - but how the likes of Liam Gallagher, Roger Daltrey and U2 had declined. There is a lot of good music still being made out there but it needs to be searched for - it isn't the overhyped protuned shite in the singles charts, nor is it the regurgitated orchestral bollocks Rod Stewart's got to the number 1 spot in the album charts.

On both counts, frankly, I'd rather listen to Lennon and McCartney's finest!

21Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 11:08 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'd rather listen to Erasure:

If I could sleep with the Eighties I would.

22Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 11:20 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Mott1 wrote:And at least Doddy went on to put in a perfectly acceptable performance in the McCoy era. Better than that boy band with the mop tops!

Joking aside it is depressing. I assumed the new bands and artists would be a turn-off but when Chris Evans recently brought back TFI Friday it was alarming not how the new groups fared - they were fine - but how the likes of Liam Gallagher, Roger Daltrey and U2 had declined. There is a lot of good music still being made out there but it needs to be searched for - it isn't the overhyped protuned shite in the singles charts, nor is it the regurgitated orchestral bollocks Rod Stewart's got to the number 1 spot in the album charts.

On both counts, frankly, I'd rather listen to Lennon and McCartney's finest!

Well you either die young and remain a legend mourned forever, or you become a sad old fart.

And the best of Lennon's output is fucking amazing.

Number 9 dream, Mind Games, Starting Over.

Working Class Hero is also one of the best political songs of all time.

Here are some its lyrics.

John Lennon wrote:

As soon as you're born they make you feel small
By giving you no time instead of it all
'Til the pain is so big you feel nothing at all

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
'Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules

When they've tortured and scared you for twenty odd years
Then they expect you to pick a career
When you can't really function you're so full of fear.

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free.
But you're still fucking Peasants as far as I can see

There's room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill.

Now compare these to Eminem's diss track to Trump.

Talentless fuckhead wrote:That's an awfully hot coffee pot
Should I drop it on Donald Trump? Prob'ly not.

Trump, when it comes to giving a shit, you're stingy as I am
Except when it comes to having the balls to go against me, you hide 'em
'Cause you don't got the fucking nuts like an empty asylum
Racism's the only thing he's fantastic for
'Cause that's how he gets his fucking rocks off and he's orange.

The fact we're not afraid of Trump
Fuck walkin' on egg shells, I came to stomp
That's why he keeps screamin', "Drain the swamp!"
'Cause he's in quicksand
It's like we take a step forwards then backwards
But this is his form of distraction
Plus, he gets an enormous reaction

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Political music has definitely taken a turn for the worse recently.

I think I'll start an underrated singers thread so we can show some more appreciation for good music in the 2020s.

23Rank the decades (60s onwards) Empty Re: Rank the decades (60s onwards) 18th February 2020, 11:21 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

The second half of the 20th century was really a golden age of music. There's good stuff in all those decades, but of those five decades I'm probably the least into the 90s, and the most into the 70s. There is still good new music, I still find tons of good new music on youtube (and not just the pseudo-80s stuff), but the only time I hear good music on the radio is when I turn to a station that plays 70s or 80s.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum