iank
Ludders
stengos
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Tanmann
Pepsi Maxil
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Top ten Williams era stories Empty Top ten Williams era stories 16th February 2020, 3:22 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

1. City of Death
2. The Stones of Blood
3. The Horror of Fang Rock
4. The Horns of Nimon
5. The Creature from the Pit
6. Shada
7. Destiny of the Daleks
8. The Image of the Fendhal
9. The Sunmakers
10. The Ribos Operation

2Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 16th February 2020, 3:28 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

1. City of Death
2. Horror of Fang Rock
3. The Ribos Operation
4. The Androids of Tara
5. The Sunmakers
6. Destiny of the Daleks
7. The Invisible Enemy
8. The Horns of Nimon
9. The Pirate Planet
10. Nightmare of Eden

3Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 16th February 2020, 3:44 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

1. Image of the Fendahl
2. City of Death
3. Androids of Tara
4. The Sunmakers
5. Shada
6. Horror of Fang Rock
7. Stones of Blood
8. The Invisible Enemy
9. The Pirate Planet
10. The Ribos Operation

4Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 16th February 2020, 3:52 pm

stengos

stengos

Fang Rock.
Ribos Operation.
Stones of Blood.

Otherwise i liked Williams' choice of companions. Apart from K9 that is.

5Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 16th February 2020, 5:20 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Image of the Fendahl
Horror of Fang Rock
The Sunmakers
The Invisible Enemy
Stones of Blood
Destiny of the Daleks
Invasion of Time
Power of Kroll
Underworld
Horns of Nimon

6Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 16th February 2020, 8:42 pm

iank

iank

Shada
Ribos Operation
City of Death
The Horns of Nimon
Horror of Fang Rock
The Androids of Tara
Image of the Fendahl
The Sun Makers
Creature from the Pit
The Pirate Planet

So many to choose.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

7Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 16th February 2020, 9:08 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

1. Horror Of Fang Rock
2. Invisible Enemy
3. Image of the Fendahl
4. City Of Death
5. Androids Of Tara
6. Creature From The Pit
7. Destiny of The Daleks
8. Stones Of Blood
9. Shada
10. Invasion Of Time

Fucking hell, that was a lot harder than it looked, it was like trying to pick jewels from a ton of shite.  

Apart from the top 3 I don't really care for much else in Williams era and only the top story I would actually call a classic.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

8Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 16th February 2020, 9:40 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Rob Filth wrote:1. Horror Of Fang Rock
2. Invisible Enemy
3. Image of the Fendahl
4. City Of Death
5. Androids Of Tara
6. Creature From The Pit
7. Destiny of The Daleks
8. Stones Of Blood
9. Shada
10. Invasion Of Time

Fucking hell, that was a lot harder than it looked, it was like trying to pick jewels from a ton of shite.  

Apart from the top 3 I don't really care for much else in Williams era and only the top story I would actually call a classic.

Not keen on The Sun Makers, Rob?

9Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 17th February 2020, 2:06 am

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

1. City Of Death
2. Horror Of Fang Rock
3. The Ribos Operation
4. Androids Of Tara
5. The Sun Makers
6. Image of the Fendahl
7. Shada
8. Destiny of The Daleks
9. The Pirate Planet
10. Invasion Of Time

10Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 17th February 2020, 7:22 am

Fendelman

Fendelman

1. Image of the Fendahl
2. The Stones of Blood
3. City of Death
4. Shada
5. The Androids of Tara
6. The Ribos Operation
7. The Creature from the Pit
8. The Horns of Nimon
9. The Pirate Planet
10. Destiny of the Daleks

11Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 17th February 2020, 10:56 am

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Ludders wrote:
No I'm not really, for me personally it marked when the series really started to jump the shark.

I hated the Collector and the Gatherer, they were like something from Willy fucking Wonka.

Tom Baker starts to act like a complete cunt in episode 4 too with stupid comedy fucking spring noises.

The sets look really cheap too.

12Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 17th February 2020, 5:26 pm

REDACTED

1: Horror Of Fang Rock
2: The Ribos Operation
3: Shada
4: City Of Death
5: The Sunmakers
6: The Pirate Planet
7: The Horns Of Nimon
8: The Creature From The Pit
9: Destiny Of The Daleks
10: Image Of The Fendahl

13Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 17th February 2020, 8:59 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Rob Filth wrote:
Ludders wrote:
No I'm not really, for me personally it marked when the series really started to jump the shark.

I hated the Collector and the Gatherer, they were like something from Willy fucking Wonka.

Tom Baker starts to act like a complete cunt in episode 4 too with stupid comedy fucking spring noises.

Yes, it definitely marks the start of 'Williamsness'.
But on a recent rewatch I liked it a bit more than I expected to. It's still got enough of serious tone in most parts for me to find it acceptable.
Though it's always been a couple of notches down from Fendahl and Fang Rock. A position it shares with The Invisible Enemy.
However, having recently embarked on S16, (which I'll comment more on later) it definitely seems like one of the better stories of the Williams era.

14Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 17th February 2020, 9:04 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ludders wrote:
Rob Filth wrote:
Ludders wrote:

But on a recent rewatch I liked it a bit more than I expected to. It's still got enough of serious tone in most parts for me to find it acceptable.
Though it's always been a couple of notches down from Fendahl and Fang Rock. A position it shares with The Invisible Enemy.
However, having recently embarked on S16, (which I'll comment more on later) it definitely seems like one of the better stories of the Williams era.
Interesting. I’ve only started my re-watch of the Williams era only recently. I’ve only made it through Fang Rock, Invisible Enemy and Fendahl thus far, and have thoroughly enjoyed all three. In fact, Fendahl has shot up in my estimations from last time by quite some distance- it’s brilliantly atmospheric and well directed.

I am intrigued to see how The Sun Makers holds up, though, and how I’ll find the later Williams seasons in retrospect as well. We’ll see if we agree to some extent. Big Grin

15Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 17th February 2020, 9:14 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Bernard Marx wrote:
Ludders wrote:
Rob Filth wrote:
Ludders wrote:

Interesting. I’ve only started my re-watch of the Williams era only recently. I’ve only made it through Fang Rock, Invisible Enemy and Fendahl thus far, and have thoroughly enjoyed all three. In fact, Fendahl has shot up in my estimations from last time by quite some distance- it’s brilliantly atmospheric and well directed.

I am intrigued to see how The Sun Makers holds up, though, and how I’ll find the later Williams seasons in retrospect as well. We’ll see if we agree to some extent. Big Grin

I expect your reviews will more interesting critiques than mine. Wink
Funny thing is, I've been off work for 6 weeks after breaking 2 bones in my  hand. So my stepdaughter who lives in the States invited us over for an impromptu free holiday. I wasn't expecting to watch any Who until we got back home to Australia, but then last week I discovered they had Britbox with all the Classic series on it, so I managed to watch Ribos and Pirate Planet so far. Was intending to post on them, but not got round to it yet. Big Grin

16Top ten Williams era stories Empty Re: Top ten Williams era stories 18th February 2020, 12:28 am

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Ludders wrote:

Tom Baker is still acting in the first few episodes of Sun Makers, but I much prefer "Invisible Enemy", I know "Invisible Enemy" hasn't dated that well SFX-wise but had a fantastic creepy score from Dudley and was quite scary with the infected spacemen in the first two episodes. Okay, the Virus prawn looks daft now, but looked suitably alien like the Wirrn did at the time too. K9 was pretty kickass in his initial introduction too, unlike by "Underworld" when he had already become a complete annoying cunt.  

Whereas there's no "monster" as such in "The Sun Makers" just a couple of stupid Willy Wonka rejects and the whole thing feels like Blakes 7 but without the grit or budget.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum