Tanmann
Rick Deckard 2.0
stengos
REDACTED
Bernard Marx
Pepsi Maxil
10 posters

Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen

Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen I_vote_lcap40%Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen I_vote_rcap 40% [ 4 ]
Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen I_vote_lcap60%Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen I_vote_rcap 60% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 12:51 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Which of these Cybermen tales did you enjoy the most?

2Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 1:02 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Earthshock is probably more tightly structured and better written from a narrative perspective, but I personally enjoy Attack of the Cybermen much more. The dialogue is considerably more memorable (“I shall beat them into submission with my charm...” I often wonder why your ancestors bothered to climb out of the primordial slime”, “That sounds like another insult, Mr Lytton!”), Colin Baker delivers a much more entertaining and assured performance than Davison (he’s good in Earthshock, mind), the side-characters are more noteworthy (although Bates and Stratton don’t amount to much in the grand scheme of things, I find them more entertaining as characters than any of the guest cast in Earthshock), and the inclusion of black comedy within the guest characters and dialogue appeals to me all the more as well.

Then again, I’ve always found Earthshock rather overrated anyway. It’s not bad, but it’s nothing too spectacular, and I don’t even know why Grimwade’s direction is so praised. It’s nowhere near as dynamic as everyone makes out, and I’m also not a massive fan of the Cybermen in it either. They’re serviceable, but as Ludders pointed out once on another thread, they could basically be anyone. At least in Attack, the process of Cyber Conversion is presented in reasonable detail, and they come across as more physically intimidating and brutal there too.

So, in simple terms, Earthshock is the better and tighter story narratively, but I find Attack much more entertaining. This take will probably not be shared by many others here, mind. Smile

3Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 1:03 pm

REDACTED

Earthshock. Fucking marvelous.

Attack's an enjoyable action romp and certainly doesn't deserve it's reputation but I always find the second part to be a bit underwhelming. I find the Cryons to be rather dull and I feel frustrated the the Stratton and Bates subplot goes nowhere and is rather wasted in the end.

Last edited by Indrid Mercury on 9th February 2020, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 1:39 pm

stengos

stengos

Earthsearch.

I actually prefer Davison in his story to Colin in Attack. In fact i prefer Davison generally as the Doctor.

To be fair there is not much in it. They are both first rate. Maybe the Cybercontroller was a bit of a dissapointment for me - just looked like a fat guy in a very baggy cyber suite.

Oh and the Cryons. Were they necessary? Was Sarah Greene ever necessary? Dunno, but she was good on The Chase a few years back.

5Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 1:41 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I love the Cryons. I would have preferred it if they had painted their faces or something because the actresses were far too be pretty to be covered up. Sarah Greene was a total bombshell back in the day.

6Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 3:56 pm

stengos

stengos

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I love the Cryons. I would have preferred it if they had painted their faces or something because the actresses were far too be pretty to be covered up. Sarah Greene was a total bombshell back in the day.

Sarah Greene is beautiful and in fairness her acting is fine in Attack.

Furthermore the Cryons don't detract from the story.

So i take back my negative comments about them and Sarah.

Smile

7Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 5:45 pm

Rick Deckard 2.0

Rick Deckard 2.0

Got to be Attack of the Cybermen.

Fixing the chameleon.
Moments of brilliance from Colin.
Darker Cybermen
Cybermen Home Planet

8Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 8:18 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Definitely Earthshock.

Comparing the two really shows the difference a good director can make.

9Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 8:39 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I really rate Matthew Robinson as a director. He's certainly better than the likes of Ron Jones and Peter Moffat.

10Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 8:47 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Good at directing Eastenders maybe...

11Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 9:03 pm

iank

iank

This is a tougher one, as I'd probably put both of these in my top 20. In the end I'll have to plump for Attack, partly because it's so outrageously underrated, but also because, as Bernard notes, the dialogue and guest characters are more memorable than in Earthshock.
Love them both though.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

12Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 9th February 2020, 10:31 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I like the second part just as much as the first. I think the sewer segments are the best and most atmospheric moments in the entire story, but I do quite enjoy the stuff on Telos especially the Lytton and Charlie subplot. How anyone can prefer Varos to it is quite beyond me.

13Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 10th February 2020, 4:50 am

Ludders

Ludders

I prefer Attack. I always found Earthshock disappointing. Some poor casting and a cyberleader that out-camped even Christopher Robbie. The Cyb's were much more menacing in 'Attack'.

14Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 10th February 2020, 6:12 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

The script and narrative structure is superior in "Earthshock", but "Attack of the Cybermen" is more of a fun watch.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

15Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen Empty Re: Earthshock vs Attack of the Cybermen 10th February 2020, 10:12 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Attack

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum