You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anybody read the doctor who meets scratchman book

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Doctor7

Has anyone read the doctor who book by Tom Baker?

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Read it, didn't like it.  There's a couple of threads on here about this book already. Here's my short review from Feb 2019:

Finished Scratchman and, tbh, I wasn't that impressed. I don't exactly know why, I should really love this book - Tom is by far my favourite Doctor and he has an absurdly morbid writing style, but somehow I was left cold. Maybe I expected too much (one fan review described the book as 'Doctor Who Meets The Wicker Man' - how cool would that be?), maybe it was the inclusion of Jodie friggin' Whittaker's incarnation (who appears twice in the book, though isn't actually named as the 13th Doctor), or maybe it was James Goss' input, or most probably because there aren't many startlingly original ideas in the whole book (well, apart from the giant pinball machine scene).  Not original to a reader in 2019, at least. Back in the mid-'70's when it was first conceived, I dare say Scratchman would have been a delightfully barmy new kind of Doctor Who story (movie) but reading a book version of the film script in 2019 now only reminds me of other stuff we've seen before...

*Spoilers*

The Doctor on trial by his own people - The War Games and The Trial of a Timelord.

Killer Scarecrows - Human Nature/The Family of Blood and the 1998 BBC book 'The Hollow Men'.

The Doctor, companions and local residents trapped in a church while monsters try to break in - The Curse of Fenric and Father's Day.

The Doctor encounters The Devil (or a version of him, at least) - The Daemons and The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit.

Plus, while there are certainly many grim/nasty scenes of horror in Scratchman, the book also contains the distinctively NuWho 'soppiness' that the old series rarely had - the Doctor is often presented as an impossibly silly, yet wonderful, kind-hearted, Space Father Christmas (I bet those bits were Goss' contribution).

Disappointed (though I did appreciate the George Formby references in the first part of the book!).

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The idea of it never grabbed my attention that much. It always sounded a bit style over substance from reading the DWM synopsis of how it would've transpired back in 2007.

I might've been interested in checking out the book because it's Tom Baker doing the writing, but once I heard Jodie's Doctor was in it, I didn't bother.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'd rather read Sophie's new book than Scratchman. I wish they wouldn't shoehorn Jodie into these books, though. Keep the classic series and NuWho separate.

REDACTED

I borrowed my mate's copy and was quite disappointed. Tom's writing prose is interesting and I feel back in the 70s, it would have made a great serial or big screen film. But with the book, it just feels like a bunch of recycled elements of old stories that Kaijuko noted.

Also the less said about Whittaker being shoehorned in, the better....

I also feel that might not have been Tom's intentional doing, more the SJW'S/ NuWho Fitzroy team forcing him to.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum