Alistair Stewart Steps Down From ITN After Racially-Charged Shakespeare Quote

+2
Mott1
Zarius
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Zarius

Zarius

ITN news reader  Alistair  Stewart has stepped down following  inappropriate remarks towards a person of colour on social media

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a30704888/itv-alastair-stewart-steps-down-social-media/

Mott1

Mott1

He's always in the shit, isn't he? Didn't he get done for drink-driving whilst presenting a show that passed judgement on drink-drivers?

stengos

stengos

Mott1 wrote:He's always in the shit, isn't he? Didn't he get done for drink-driving whilst presenting a show that passed judgement on drink-drivers?

Yes indeed he did. Three times over the limit and he crashed into a hedge and telegraph pole. But to be fair that was a while ago, i.e., 2003.

Mott1

Mott1

It seems he may have been a bit unlucky with this one. He used the "angry ape" line from Measure For Measure which he's done in the past to try and demean a social media opponent, only this time they turned out to be black.

So it turns out he may not have been deliberately racist, tho' if he was being deliberately pretentious that's a far more grave affair.

Boofer

Boofer

It's a mistake symptomatic of his age.

Most people under 40 would think twice about directing that at a black dude.

The Brigade Leader

The Brigade Leader

Boofer wrote:It's a mistake symptomatic of his age.

Just like Danny Baker and his Royal Chimp photo.
I don't believe Baker is racist, just a boomer who doesn't understand the world they're living in.

Why anyone who works in the media these days would use twitter is beyond me. shrug

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Boofer wrote:It's a mistake symptomatic of his age.

I dunno, I'm in my 50's and I'd think more than twice before directing that at a black guy unless I was into some serious homoerotic sub/dom sadomasochistic beatings.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

The Brigade Leader wrote:Just like Danny Baker and his Royal Chimp photo.
I don't believe Baker is racist, just a boomer who doesn't understand the world they're living in.

I'm prepared to give Danny Baker the benefit of the doubt on his Tweet as an honest moment of unthinking mistake because he otherwise doesn't really come across as a racist. It was a mistake of white entitlement however which most people who are white are capable of making,(including myself) but I don't believe the malicious racial intent from him personally was there otherwise he wouldn't have immediately deleted the tweet and apologised once he realised the duality of translation behind it. It is possible to inadvertently cause offense.

I don't think it quite warrants sending him off to the Bolton Labour Camps just yet.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

Mott1

Mott1

In other news I see Laurence Fox has felt he had to leave twitter due to the abuse he got over his Question Time reaction to being accused of showing 'white privilege'.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum