You are not connected. Please login or register

Is the show unkillable in the ratings now?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is the show unkillable in the ratings now? Empty Is the show unkillable in the ratings now? 23rd January 2020, 11:27 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Throughout New Who's run, it's almost been impossible to escape a kind of hyper-vigilance among fans about how well each episode did in the ratings.

At first this seemed understandable. Ratings were often given as the official reason the show was originally first suspended and then taken off air (or going further back to Season 18, the reason it was first moved in the schedules from its secure slot). And it was often preached that fandom couldn't repeat that hubris folly of ignoring what the general public thought, and letting noxious fan politics take hold of the show again.

(Though that said, there are quotes from Levine even before the suspension crisis, using falling ratings to vindicate his disdain for Season 17)

I perhaps naively thought that it was a concern that would die down after the first two seasons or so. That fans would simply trust after a year or two of good ratings that the casual audience wasn't going anywhere and the show was secure.

But by Series 5 I noticed this seemingly neurotic anxiety wasn't going away. I remember even The Beast Below, Girl Who Waited and even Vampires in Venice, being talked of as being potentially dangerous to the ratings for the risk of being too clever for the masses and likely to make them lose interest.

As if the moment in Vampires in Venice where Matt Smith reveals William Hartnell's library card was instantly going to make viewers who'd loved Tennant have a fit of confusion and decide to suddenly switch off in an allergic reaction.

This ratings anxiety was promoted constantly through fandom in order to try and make us all toe the line and accept that the trash elements were a necessary evil to keep people watching.

I'm now at a point however where I feel rather bitter about the fact this harping about ratings was clearly all for nothing. It seems to be becoming clear now that no matter how bad the ratings get, the BBC just do not want to kill the show. They're determined to keep it alive.

Certainly times have changed since the 80's when the BBC only seemed to keep it on at all begrudgingly but were not interested in ensuring it's a success.

Now it's the opposite. Now it's the flagship show and they will not let it sink.

Sure the BBC are clearly concerned about the ratings and are trying to boost them (hence the changing of the timeslot), but even then it seems with the evidence of bad ratings they still want to find ways to keep it alive for the last viewer standing regardless, rather than reach for any excuse to kill it.

Maybe because the BBC still hold out hope it can be so successful again. And they are more interested in worldwide success and sales than they used to be, and Doctor Who has obviously more international appeal than Eastenders. Which is also a turnaround from the classic era.

But isn't it frustrating that we were warned for so long about the need to not let the show slip in the ratings, and the anxiety it whipped up in the fanbase, and all apparently for nothing, and that it was all just empty fearmongering?

stengos

stengos

It could go either way imho.

Yes the Equality and Diversity hierarchy at the BBC could go on belligerently defending the show on the grounds that it serves a wider, positive, social purpose not reflected in viewing figures (e.g., educating the ignorant, misogynist, racist public about their attitudes).

or

The same people recognise Dr Who as a means of social engineering has past its sell by date and decide to replace it with sthg equally obnoxious but socially worthwhile (in the eyes of the E&D crowd). But not yet. At the moment they will probably want to prove the show and their patronage of it is a success and the way they may want to show that is to push it to at least 3 series (same as the previous three doctors) and maybe 4 so they can say it was "more successful" than the male Doctors were.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I think what makes me skeptical that the BBC will replace the show is that everything seems to be about brand recognition now (hence why we're stuck in the age of remakes and reboots), because executives seem to have lost faith in taking a gamble on unknown quantities.

Anything they replace it with will probably have to be another revival of a different popular series, that has similar brand recognition. I'd say there's probably good reason to fear that whatever it is won't be as successful as Doctor Who, but then Doctor Who is no longer the success it was anyway.

Logically it would make sense for them to just bring McGann back in a prequel series if they want the show's popularity to be restored (his appeal does seem to bridge the gap between old and new fans). but for some reason the BBC just refuse to get it or do it.

Maybe you're right that it's for purely ideological reasons.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum