You are not connected. Please login or register

Children Of Earth - A Rare Nu Who/Torchwood Classic or Overrated?

+3
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
REDACTED
Mott1
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mott1

Mott1

Only saw it on transmission, reluctantly at first. Yet to my amazement I enjoyed it so much I chose to stay indoors - on gorgeous sunny evenings - to catch every second of it.

To me it felt closer to the classic show (particularly season 7) than Nu Who had ever got, and knocked the spots off seasons 1 and 2 of Torchwood - the less said about Miracle Day the better. But has CoE dated well? And will rewatching it now merely taint one of the very few fond memories I have of the current franchise?

Discuss!

REDACTED

Never really got into it myself. It certainly felt more a more natural type of mature rather than the forced darker tone of Torchwood but even then, it still never grabbed my interest.

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Saw it a few months ago. Despite me finding SJA to be easily the best spin-off, and finding Torchwood to be wholly uneven, Children of Earth manages to be one of the greatest Who stories ever. It truly challenges the utter cruelty of humanity, without the story ever being on the 456's side (by all accounts, they use children as drugs, so they're morally reprehensible). The acting from Barrowman, Myles, Capaldi are simply stellar and just show how great these characters can be when not subjugated by overly edgy hardcore overly sexy material. Every scene feels utterly haunting, and the camera angles, while simple, can be so effective in what it's trying to convey. It's simply marvellous, and is tied with Midnight as my favourite thing that RTD had ever written. Torchwood ends here for me, this was the pinnacle.

Zarius

Zarius

It was a New Adventure novel done absolutely right.

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

I enjoyed it at the time and it's easily the best Torchwood series, but it was a very obvious Quatermass (1979) rip off.  I tried to watch it again last Autumn but gave up after 20 or so minutes.

iank

iank

20 minutes was my maximum the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Mott1

Mott1

Interesting responses so far - still quite mixed.

We all agree it was better than 'Miracle Day' though?

Ludders

Ludders

I thought it pretty good at the time, but I've never re-watched it, and can't remember shit about it now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum