Worst Sequel Stories

+2
Pepsi Maxil
REDACTED
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Worst Sequel Stories Empty Worst Sequel Stories 17th January 2020, 11:12 pm

REDACTED

Which followup stories left you feeling underwhelmed.

Mine would be The Invasion Of Time and Warriors Of The Deep.

2Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 17th January 2020, 11:19 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Bet you a tenner Tanmann says Warriors.

3Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 17th January 2020, 11:22 pm

REDACTED

Bet you a twenty he goes on an novel length diatribe about it.

4Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 17th January 2020, 11:24 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:Bet you a twenty he goes on an novel length diatribe about it.

Right, tell us your PayPal then. Might as well get it done with now.

LOL

He should publish a book on why it was such an astronomical failure. I'd buy it.

5Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 18th January 2020, 3:57 am

Ludders

Ludders

Well.... Warriors IS the obvious choice... lol

6Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 5:10 am

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

City of Death

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

7Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 5:22 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Someone give Maxil a tenner.

8Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 5:41 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:Bet you a twenty he goes on an novel length diatribe about it.

Okay for the purposes of this thread I'll just highlight its failures specifically as a sequel.

Quite simply it was a failure as a sequel for the same reasons contriving a sequel to Hamlet would be. What's the point when their story is already told and the tragedy has already happened?

The main problem is it seems to miss the trick of the Pertwee originals as much as the point.

Part of why I think the audience is galvanized in The Sea Devils to see the creatures in a sympathetic light is that scene early on where Pertwee electroshocks one of the reptiles to repel its pursuit of them on the rig. At that point it screams, horribly, and that confounds our sympathies. It goes from being a silent predator to a vulnerable, mortal creature with pain agonies we can understand and empathize with.

And gradually the story operates on that intrigue that there's more to the Sea Devils than just monstrous aggressors. It galvanises us to understand them, and to see the Doctor strive for peace with them and nearly achieve it.

Warriors never has that intrigue. It just presents the Sea Devils as mindless genocidal thugs. In a sense it's become too knowing and complacent that all the Doctor has to do is keep referring back to the Pertwee originals for why the Sea Devils are sympathetic when nothing in their actions makes them so, and nothing in their actions makes them remotely confounding or intriguing either. So the Doctor has to be completely contrarian on their behalf.

So that's partly why the genius of Hulke's approach was missed, and why this story was such a barren exercise in creative short-sightedness (even before Saward's bloodthirstier rewrites made things exponentially worse).

I don't know if that's long enough for your £20, Mercury Wink

9Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 8:12 am

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

The Myrka is THE most sympathetic monster to ever appear in ClassicWho, all it ever wanted to do was shake hands with people and all it received in hostile response was fat ugly women trying to Kung Fu kick it or people trying to blind it with sunray lamps.

I'm glad all the humans died in it, particularly that good looking woman character in the shit garish nylon 80's jacket, they deserve fuck all sympathy after the disgusting way they treated the friendly well meaning Myrka who was only trying to power their station with his renewable ecologically friendly electrical energy because the arseholes fucked up their stupid dirty nuclear power generator.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

10Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 9:26 am

stengos

stengos

The Chase. A tedious run around around with no real plot to it. Only point was to show case the Daleks so Terry Nation could earn a fat check. To be fair i have not seen it since it came out on VHS in 1993 in the 30th anniversary tin box set toge3ther with McCoy's Remembrance, but it was such a chore to watch at that time I am reluctant to try again.

Destiny. I think it was badly produced. The story is okay - Dalek-Movellan war, rescue Davros - but i don't like the end product what with the weak acting, the Movellans, the Daleks falling apart, the silly regeneration scene, the poorly staged Human-Movellan fight scenes.

11Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 9:29 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Monster of Peladon.  The Curse of Peladon was one of the rare Pertwee classics so I had high hopes that Monster would be of a similar quality, but it was just so tedious and bland much like the rest of Season 11.

12Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 9:37 am

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:I don't know if that's long enough for your £20, Mercury Wink

Good start. Now shut up and focus on the next 499 pages. Wink

13Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 9:48 am

REDACTED

Rob Filth wrote:The Myrka is THE most sympathetic monster to ever appear in ClassicWho, all it ever wanted to do was shake hands with people and all it received in hostile response was fat ugly women trying to Kung Fu kick it or people trying to blind it with sunray lamps.

I'm glad all the humans died in it, particularly that good looking woman character in the shit garish nylon 80's jacket, they deserve fuck all sympathy after the disgusting way they treated the friendly well meaning Myrka who was only trying to power their station with his renewable ecologically friendly electrical energy because the arseholes fucked up their stupid dirty nuclear power generator.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

14Worst Sequel Stories Empty Re: Worst Sequel Stories 7th February 2020, 9:50 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ingrid Pitt was kinda hot in Warriors.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum