You are not connected. Please login or register

Would NuPoo be as rotten if it were on the big screen?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mott1

Mott1

I ask this because I find I'm far less critical of stuff like The Avengers films, Independence Day, ropey Transformers flicks and crappy action fare when it's in the cinema. Somehow my expectations become lower and more shallow, so perhaps the new show would be more enjoyable that way - not that that's saying much!

Thoughts?

iank

iank

No, because, like New Who, it wouldn't be Doctor Who.
I just want them to make Doctor Who. If that's too hard, make something else and stop pretending.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

To be honest, I think the show should've made the transition from television to cinema back in 1980-83 (with either the Scratchman or Adams' Krikkitmen spearheading it as a cinema series, or even doing State of Decay or The Five Doctors as a cinema film). It might've saved the franchise's popularity and quality, allowed it to compete properly with the post-Star Wars zeitgeist, and made it immune to Grade's sabotaging efforts (at the very least he couldn't very well schedule the cinema showings against Coronation Street).

As for New Who, I suspect actually it might've been considerably better in the sense that, well, RTD's stories always feel like they're obnoxiously trying to keep distracted kids and soap viewers interested incase they decide to change the channel unless something goofy or wacky or weepy happens every five minutes.

I don't think they would've made a cinema film with the same neurotic panic instincts. They would probably have felt secure that the mainstream audience audience was not going to mass walkout of the film unless it really screwed up and gave them reason to (a la Batman and Robin, Halloween 6 or The Last Jedi).

So they just might concentrate on settling down and telling an immersive story rather than constantly taking the viewer out of it. So we might've gotten something a bit more approximating Doctor Who and good storytelling. Like I said, I've always felt there was a good show somewhere in there, struggling to get out of New Who, and maybe that would've helped it surface.

If RTD was still writing them however, they'd still have really shitty, sloppy deus ex machina endings because RTD is just the kind of writer who reaches a point in the action or climax where he just lets the special effects do the storytelling for him, and a bigger budget would've allowed him to be that complacent and lazy all the more. Unless of course he was appointed a team of executives or co-writers who weren't fanboys and who were willing to challenge him creatively and get the ending amended to something better.

Would it solve the current problems with the show? Well, maybe.

We're only stuck with Chibnall currently because, much like in the 1980's, no-one else really wanted to be tied down to the show anymore if they had greener pastures to move onto, so the BBC were stuck for options. It might be that that wouldn't be the case if it was a cinema series. New talented directors could always be found and it wouldn't be like being tied down to a long-term series.

Wokeness would probably still come to be pushed like it is in most cinema today. There have been glorious exceptions to the woke trend (Blade Runner 2049, Joker, Alita: Battle Angel, Tarantino), but I doubt if a BBC-controlled Doctor Who would've swum against that tide.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum