You are not connected. Please login or register

The Land Before Time appreciation thread

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Land Before Time appreciation thread Empty The Land Before Time appreciation thread 13th January 2020, 10:35 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Any fans of this film here?

The Land Before Time is possibly the greatest animated movie of all time in my opinion.

Its one of those rare instances where everything about the film not only works but is exceptional.

The score by James Horner is probably his best work, its beautifully animated, the voice acting is strong and the story is at points moving, heartbreaking, frightening and even funny.

Ironically I never much liked it as a child as it was so depressing, but now that I'm an adult I can appreciate what a beautiful film it is.

Funny thing is this movie was basically the Orville of its day. Disney were going through a bad patch and Don Bluth who was a fan of their classic movies, decided to do one in that style and it was a huge success.

DW desperately needs a Land Before Time it would seem.

Anyway here are some highlights.

You can see how Spielberg reused some shots for this for Jurassic Park, like the T-Rex almost crushing the two children when it leans on something above them.

Not going to lie this still makes be bawl like a baby.

Finally this song has always been a big favourite of mine. I was a huge fan of Diana Ross growing up and this is one of her best performances. The song goes so well with the film in that its sad, yet hopeful.

2The Land Before Time appreciation thread Empty Re: The Land Before Time appreciation thread 25th February 2020, 1:04 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Honestly, I wanted to. I really do. But I don't think that I'll be able to watch the film, after seeing the revelations of what happened to one of the child actresses being murdered by her father. I don't think that I'll watch it, without thinking 'this child had a future, and a demonic creature shot and killed her because of what she wanted to do'.

3The Land Before Time appreciation thread Empty Re: The Land Before Time appreciation thread 25th February 2020, 4:27 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:Honestly, I wanted to. I really do. But I don't think that I'll be able to watch the film, after seeing the revelations of what happened to one of the child actresses being murdered by her father. I don't think that I'll watch it, without thinking 'this child had a future, and a demonic creature shot and killed her because of what she wanted to do'.

I've only just wikipedia'd that case.

It's an incredibly sad read, and worse that it was entirely preventable had the police taken the threat that scumbag posed seriously sooner. It was clearly an atrocity waiting to happen.

It's almost enough to make me understand why at one time feminism might've seemed a noble and needed cause to challenge the culture of the day.

4The Land Before Time appreciation thread Empty Re: The Land Before Time appreciation thread 25th February 2020, 6:52 pm

stengos

stengos

burrunjor wrote:Any fans of this film here?

The Land Before Time is possibly the greatest animated movie of all time in my opinion.

No. Sorry. That is so obviously Lion King (1994) or Don Bluth's The Secret of Nimh (1982). Jeremy Irons is perfect as the evil scheming Scar.

5The Land Before Time appreciation thread Empty Re: The Land Before Time appreciation thread 25th February 2020, 7:07 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I will definitely give The Land Before Time a look, when I can.

But currently I would say the best animated movie is Grave of the Fireflies (1988). It still breaks my heart to think about.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum