iank
Chris
Zarius
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Supergirl Empty Supergirl 2nd June 2017, 8:08 pm

Chris

Chris

It's been fucking great. Maybe not the most subtle in its use of satire, particularly in season 2, but these are unsubtle times.

Anyone else watch this biz?

2Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 11:00 am

Zarius

Zarius

It's great so far. There's a bit of a feminist agenda, but it's not too heavy-handed and the action and stakes are often considerably high. It also made Jimmy Olsen a badass while the comics still have him in cub reporter mode doing jack all

3Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 1:26 pm

Chris

Chris

Zarius wrote:There's a bit of a feminist agenda

Mate, it's SUPERGIRL.

4Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 2:49 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Doesn't all fiction have an agenda? When it's handled in an overt and clumsy way then it is more detrimental to my viewing pleasure.

5Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 4:16 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Rawkuss wrote:Doesn't all fiction have an agenda? When it's handled in an overt and clumsy way then it is more detrimental to my viewing pleasure.

Supergirl definitely falls into the handling it in a clumsy and awkward, cringey way category sadly. I haven't seen the show properly yet so I won't judge all of it, but take a look at this compilation.

Remember when people could just write female heroes and not have them remind us that they are female heroes every two minutes in order for the writers to show us plebs that they are so unbelievably fantastic for having a female hero?

I hear good things about the Wonder Woman movie for that very reason. Wonder Woman is thankfully according to some people I've heard just written as a proper hero, and not a vehicle for the writers to virtue signal through.

6Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 6:40 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Superman telling Kara she's much stronger than he ever will be can fuck off too

7Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 9:21 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Welcome back, Burrunjour!

8Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 10:27 pm

Chris

Chris

Zarius wrote:Superman telling Kara she's much stronger than he ever will be can fuck off too

In Supergirl's own series that exists solely in its own continuity? You can't give 'em that one?

9Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 10:39 pm

iank

iank

I've never seen it (zero interest in any of these endless superhero movies/shows tbh) but it sounds like a case of "show, don't tell."
But it's telling that Buffy and Angel never needed to demean Angel in order to make Buffy look better.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

10Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 10:41 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I have heard a lot of good things about this series but wasn't going to watch it as I am bored rigid of all this superhero stuff. I may have to watch now so I know what everybody is talking about.

11Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 3rd June 2017, 11:36 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

I've only seen the Flash crossover episodes, there's nothing that stands out as bad but I haven't bothered to check it out. Mostly because I think it was always the same producers as the rest of the Arrowverse and they don't have a good track record.

Both Arrow and Flash had a great first season, ok second season with an underwhelming finale and a dismal third season that left me not willing to watch a fourth. I gave up on Legends of Tomorrow in the first season, too.

If someone can say Supergirl breaks the mould I'll give it a shot. Otherwise I'm just not interested in starting a show I won't finish.

burrunjor wrote:

The video had a cringe factor but it's pretty easy to nitpick 3 minutes out of a show with over 40 episodes each lasting around 42 minutes.

https://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

12Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 4th June 2017, 10:28 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Zarius wrote:Superman telling Kara she's much stronger than he ever will be can fuck off too

Actually I agree with Penny here. I know the universe will probably implode. Still as Supergirl is the main character of this show then she should be the strongest.

After all that's what I get pissed at with DW the way that Clara and Donna both became better Doctors than the Doctor himself.

Having said that though I really don't get the appeal of Supergirl. She's kind of a bland, boring character.

I don't mind female versions of male characters or vice versa, but they kind of have to have something unique about them or else what's the point?

Look and Xena and Hercules and Angel and Buffy for instance.

Xena and Angel obviously fulfil a similar role to the original hero of their franchises, Hercules and Buffy. Angel's another, super powered vampire, demon killer in a modern city with a band of sarky misfits, failures, and outcasts to help him, Xena's another big muscle bound warrior with a blonde, short sidekick in ancient greece who feuds with the Gods etc.

However Xena and Angel as characters are both as different as night and day from the original heroes. Xena is a darker character than Hercules, has no super powers, fights evil humans most of the time rather than monsters, is distrusted by most people, has a much closer relationship with her sidekick, with the two eventually becoming lovers. Even when she fights the same villains like Ares, he is different when he is around her.

Angel similarly is a Vampire, and thus can't live a normal life, he has lived for over 200 years whilst Buffy's whole thing is that she is a young, inexperienced hero, Angel tends to fight more long lasting threats like Wolfram and Hart, rather than just some powerful monster that springs up out of nowhere and is beaten by the end of the year, and Angel tends to lose a lot more often too. Also again even characters that flit between both shows like Spike and Faith have totally different relationships with Angel and Buffy.

Supergirl however? What the fuck is the point? Seriously? What does she do that is different to Superman? She has the same powers, the same personality of a do-gooder with no flaws, the same civilian identity of a reporter who is a bit geeky, so no one suspects she is a superhero, she even has the same fucking costume. And from what I've hear her enemies in this series are just Superman's, but unlike Ares who despises Hercules, but is in love with Xena, I'd imagine that Supes enemies just view her in the same way.

Bottom line Supergirl sucks and whilst this show might do the best of a bad job, I'd really doubt that if they could have made a Wonder Woman series they'd have bothered with Supergirl. Hell I'd doubt if she was even 2 on their list.

13Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 4th June 2017, 10:54 am

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

burrunjor wrote:Bottom line Supergirl sucks and whilst this show might do the best of a bad job, I'd really doubt that if they could have made a Wonder Woman series they'd have bothered with Supergirl. Hell I'd doubt if she was even 2 on their list.
Did you ever see the failed Wonder Woman pilot from a few years ago? Unless I'm mistaken they also did a similar comment on her costume. In that the Wonder Woman identity was being handled by a committee of businessmen who were making toys of her and stuff.

Supergirl Wonder10 Supergirl Adrian10

14Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 12th June 2017, 9:03 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

I watched a handful of episodes over the weekend and it's pretty good so far. Fun, light-hearted heroics with triumphant theme music.

15Supergirl Empty Re: Supergirl 2nd February 2018, 8:44 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I don't mind it. I also like the 1984 film quite a bit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum