You are not connected. Please login or register

Are sitcom specials any good?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are sitcom specials any good? Empty Are sitcom specials any good? 5th January 2020, 1:45 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Hi all,

After watching the Gavin & Stacey Xmas special and enjoying it, and watching the Not Going Out Xmas special and doing anything but, what do you guys think about Xmas sitcom specials and film adaptations?

Here's my take : -

On The Buses - the films seem very little different to the series, just with more early 1970s Carry On-style slapstick. The series gets a critical kicking but if anything I find the films are a good starting point for first-time fans

Porridge - the film is one of the better ones out there. There's an extra level of cynicism and also a slightly wistful feel to it; whilst the series ended on a bittersweet note with Godber's release it was nice to get a chance to say goodbye to the actor who died shortly after its release

Are You Being Served - better than its reputation. The false teeth in the underpants sequence is cleverly staged and the farcical antics with the confusion over tents is amusing. John Inman & Molly Sugden are especially funny in this, in the series they ended up dominating too much after this

Only Fools & Horses - Range from some of the show's finest moments 'The Jolly's Boy Outing', at least before the BBC started chopping it up for the DVD release, is one of the finest instalments of a great show, whereas 'A Royal Flush' was a horrible misstep that turned Del into a monster, the Batman & Robin skit in 'Heroes & Villains' never worked in the context of the show for me and Miami Twice saw the show out of its comfort zone (and with a crummy laughter track)

Any thoughts?

2Are sitcom specials any good? Empty Re: Are sitcom specials any good? 5th January 2020, 4:23 pm

REDACTED

Eh, some are good and some are shite.

I've enjoyed some film adaptations such as Porridge, Dads Army (1974), The Likely Lads Movie and Guest House Paradiso (Bottom: The Movie) but most others I can't abide sorry.

Xmas specials can be great (Likely Lads 74, ''HOLY'' and The Jolly Boys Outing) but for the most part I can take them or leave them.

3Are sitcom specials any good? Empty Re: Are sitcom specials any good? 6th January 2020, 7:55 am

iank

iank

The One Foot in the Grave Xmas specials were usually top-notch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Are sitcom specials any good? Empty Re: Are sitcom specials any good? 11th January 2020, 10:49 am

Ludders

Ludders

Porridge and The Likely Lads never made anything that was below par.
The first film is Rising Damp. They just re-used the scripts again. But without Alan. Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum