You are not connected. Please login or register

The Daleks are a bit shit if you look at them objectively.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Boofer

Boofer

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I tend to turn my nose up at clever-clever videos like that which usually help give millennials such a bad name.

Any antagonist or sci-fi monster can be a bit shit if you devote thought into debunking and poking holes in them and acting like it's cooler to not suspend your disbelief with a concept when everyone else is doing it. Certainly it seems a bit wrong to me when such pretentious hipster idiocy is given the unwarranted authority of a video essay.

A really good director and a writer at the top of his game can make the Daleks feel a legitimate apocalyptic threat, and make the unlikely about them seem terrifyingly possible after all. If you believe the characters and their predicament, if the Daleks are used right and their character is thrown into sharp vividness. As in Dalek Invasion of Earth, Power of the Daleks or Genesis of the Daleks, or indeed Dalek.

You might even say that at best they're more a horror genre monster than sci-fi in the way that the rules get a bit suspended or skewed to give the villain every advantage and invincibility they realistically shouldn't have.

If they're badly handled as in The Chase, Death to the Daleks, or Destiny of the Daleks (or, God help us, the Witch's Familar), then sure, it's easy to look at them and wonder what the big deal about them ever was (especially if it looks like the characters themselves don't take them seriously).

I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes videos like that seem to have the unimaginative, belittling attitude that the departments involved in maintaining the illusion can be treated as unable to do right for being wrong.

Last edited by Tanmann on 3rd January 2020, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fendelman

Fendelman

I think new who tried to make the Daleks more advanced than they ever were intended to be with all that time war bs.

With very few exceptions all the other civilizations in Dr. Who (including the Daleks) are what the Rani refers to in the Mark of the Rani as "lesser species." I have no doubt that the reason the Time Lords sent the Doctor in to destroy the Daleks in Genesis was that they don't like to be seen interfering, not that they couldn't have used the whatever-the-fuck of Rassilon and simply wiped them from existence.

Maybe if Davros had access to the knowledge stored in the matrix on Galifrey and a few decades/centuries to study it, the Daleks could possibly become that formidable, but the Daleks never developed along the lines which would have allowed for them to figure out that stuff themselves. The colletive knowledge of the Time Lords represents thousands (millions?) of years of time lords devoting their centuries-long lifespans to research.

Think of the way Rodan dismisses that space fleet in Invasion of Time:  "Probative space fleet. Neo-crystal structure, atomic power and weaponry, on its way to blast some part of the galaxy to dust, I suppose." Leela then says, "Then you must stop them!." Rodan, "But that would be against every law of Gallifrey. I could never interfere, only observe." Rodan views that space fleet as a silly nuisance, atomic weaponry as no more a threat than a water balloon, and the blasting of some part of the galaxy as completely inconsequential.

This is why in the end, the Invasion of Time doesn't really make sense. The Sontarans weren't capable of what they did (certainly not the mental powers they displayed), and neither would be the Daleks. The only enemy I can think of that was, was Sutekh. The Osirians were really the only civilization shown to be so advanced they could constitute a serious threat to the Time Lords.

stengos

stengos

Depends on how well the story is written.

Destiny, Death to the Daleks, the Chase did'nt use them too well but Daleks, Dalek Invasion, Power, Genesis, Ressurection and Revelation did in my opinion. Death just came across as 101 ways to beat up a Dalek hence they lost all sense of threat or invincibility. Its good fun to watch but not one of my favourites.

I don't really know the other Hartnell and Troughton stories that well so cannot comment.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum