You are not connected. Please login or register

Finished my rewatch of Nu Who

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Finished my rewatch of Nu Who Empty Finished my rewatch of Nu Who 18th December 2019, 12:31 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I got so bored of the Capaldi era I had a break, but I've finished the last of series 10.

All I can say is that really my opinions haven't changed much LOL. I do have a much more negative opinion of the Eccelston and Tennant era's though it must be said.

I last watched them during the 50th 6 years ago (how time flies.) Then I was very positively disposed towards New Who. I loved Matt Smith, the 50th at the time was satisfying, we had the promise of a new era with Capaldi (oh the irony.)

Whilst I still had problems with the RTD era, and even parts of the Moffat era I was willing to overlook them if it meant proper old school stories with Capaldi. Sadly however we all know what happened.

Now however with everything gone to shit the Eccelston and Tennant era really seem more like grim foreshadowings of things to come, rather than just an awkward phase to get over in bringing it back.

I also have a more negative view of series 10. Its weird I enjoyed it the first time round, and even the second, but this time I just couldn't get into it. I might just have been drained by the first two years. I'm annoyed at no Osgood in series 10, but then I would wouldn't I. Big Grin

Overall series 10 is still the best of the Capaldi era. Missy is still an awful version of the Master, but as a character in her own right she's okay at points in series 10. Michelle Gomez's performance is definitely better when she's being more subtle (the messy hair look suits her too, she's even more sexy with it.)

Bill is better than Clara, and Nardole is quite charming, but the stories just felt really tired that year on rewatch.

The Cyberman two parter is also very overrated too. The resolution for one thing is utter pants. Also whilst Missy lets down any story she's in, crowbarring two versions of the Master into an origin story for the Cybermen is a bad idea. Imagine Delgado and Peter Pratt being shoehorned into Genesis for example?

2Finished my rewatch of Nu Who Empty Re: Finished my rewatch of Nu Who 18th December 2019, 10:17 pm

Ken Grubshaw

Ken Grubshaw

Now that you've finished with that why don't you start Slinger's Day? Bruce Forsyth is the manager of a supermarket and must deal with the most inept staff team. Meet me in King's Cross railway station tomorrow if you would like the DVD. I don't want to be seen by you so I'll leave the set in the WHSmith shop. Look near the section that has the works of that slaphead Harlan Coben and you should find it.

3Finished my rewatch of Nu Who Empty Re: Finished my rewatch of Nu Who 18th December 2019, 10:38 pm

iank

iank

I just can't deal with New Who anymore. I'm out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Finished my rewatch of Nu Who Empty Re: Finished my rewatch of Nu Who 18th December 2019, 10:43 pm

Ken Grubshaw

Ken Grubshaw

iank wrote:I just can't deal with New Who anymore. I'm out.

Would you be interested in Slinger's Day? Come to King's Cross railway station tomorrow to pick it up. Will definitely be worth the flight over. You can both fight for it. The thought of both of you making a public disturbance over a short-lived ITV sitcom in a crowded book shop is too funny to think about.

5Finished my rewatch of Nu Who Empty Re: Finished my rewatch of Nu Who 19th December 2019, 5:26 pm

Ken Grubshaw

Ken Grubshaw

I'm really disappointed that neither of you bothered to turn up today to collect Slinger's Day. I spent hours looking out for a man wearing a dinosaur patterned kilt and an old slag with a gun. I bumped into Arthur Darvill while I was waiting actually. He said "Sorry, I didn't see you there." I said "That's fine." He walked off in the other direction. It was an absolutely exhilarating moment.

Does anyone want to buy my collection of 240p Michael Barrymore clips from Strike It Lucky instead? These will be presented on blank discs. A signed photograph of Mary Berry will be included. Come to  the Prufrock Coffee Cafe tomorrow and inform Mandy Reynolds that you're after the DVD. She'll inform you to wait for me as I'll be attending the funeral of my brother Ben.

6Finished my rewatch of Nu Who Empty Re: Finished my rewatch of Nu Who 21st December 2019, 9:19 am

stengos

stengos

I'd agree that series 10 is probably Capaldi'best.

Re the Cyberman story: part one was fine. Nice atmosphere and very good use of the Tenth Planet cybermen. Sym - in disguise - was good as well.

Part two fell flat for me. Sym once more irritated the hell out of me and while I liked her performance in the earlier parts of season 8, I was never keen on Gomez once she was revealed as the Master. And suddenly reintroducing the RTD/Moffat Cybermen seemed unnecessary and ruined the atmosphere of the story.

Bill was definitely better than Clara who always seems to be drowning in a well of cocky, sassy smugness. And Matt Lucas was much better than I originally expected him to be.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum