You are not connected. Please login or register

Who is your least favourite NuWho Doctor, and why?

+8
Boofer
Zarius
Kaijuko
Bill
stengos
iank
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Bernard Marx
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Excluding the obvious choice of Jodie Whittaker, who is your absolute least favourite Doctor of NuWho, and why is this?

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

In hindsight, Capaldi to be honest. That's not to say that the 12th Doctor and his era has irredeemable qualities. For one thing, I believe that Capaldi is right up there with actors like Patrick Troughton, Colin Baker and Paul McGann as the best actor to play the Doctor, and he never gave a bad role, even in stories that are unbelievably shite. Likewise, I also really like his outfits, even some of the hoodie ones are pretty outlandish for a Doctor, compared to Eccleston's dull and standard outfit. And with some exceptions, I really like Series 10 and consider it to be a return-to-form especially the shite that was Series 7, 8 and 9. But Series 8 and 9 really let's his era down, from the inconsistent characterisation of either overly aristocratic jerk or utter incompetence goofball. From Clara being overbearingly smug, and completely taking over the Doctor's role in order to fit Moffat's fan fiction, as well as the uncomfortable bickering in Series 8 that never seemed like a close relationship. And some stories such as Robot of Sherwood, The Caretaker, In the Forest of the Shite, Death In Heaven, The Dalek Two-parter and Twice Upon A Turd being the absolute nadir of Doctor Who. Eccleston's era may have aged, but I still find great stuff in it and at least there's not so much of an overbearingly smug tone throughout the era.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I'd probably have to go with Capaldi too.

I really got the sense his Doctor just saw being the show's hero as some irritating chore he could barely be bothered with. I never sensed any of the inner steel will in him that makes the Doctor.

iank

iank

Tennant. Nails down a blackboard irritating.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

stengos

stengos

Tennant. I find it very hard to rewatch his stories. With a few exceptions.

Bill

Capaldi. A very odd performance. Like a pale caricature of Tom’s Williams years without any of the fun and humour. Not “natural” acting - a definite “performance” that was almost exhausting to watch. And what was his Doctor anyway? All over the place. Extremely disappointing, almost charmless. And that awful music at the start of every episode was hard to sit through.

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Eccelston. Simply did not possess any Doctor-like qualities whatsoever. Miscast.

Ludders

Ludders

Tenant. At this point.
I’ve only seen a couple of Capaldi stories, out of curiosity. Have to say my main complaint still lies with the writers and the overall NuWho conception. I really can’t imagine it making much difference if they cast the greatest actor the world, or someone’s pet budgie.
Having said that, I do find Tennant especially intolerable.

Zarius

Zarius

Smith actually, Tennant and Capaldi could at least make drivel they were give feel epic and important. Smith just could not elevate his dreadful material and was too quirky, though when given good material he could deliver

Boofer

Boofer

Tencunt. Smug mockney prick with a huge fucking God complex and the goofiest approximation of 'eccentricity' I've ever had the misfortune to witness.

Absolute 10 flusher of a turd. "I don't wanna go."

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Tennant's these days. Might just be this forum rubbing off on me.

I loved him as a kid, and I do like him as an actor generally, but his representation of the character is so far removed from what the character is supposed to represent.

It could be more RTD's style than Tennant himself, with his penchant for the histrionic, but it makes for distinctly grotty viewing.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Without doubt the 9th Doctor. He was awful in pretty much every way.

Ecceltson's performance was awkward and ill conceived. From the "LOTS OF PLANETS AVE A NORF", "A DELTA WAVE!", "I CAN DANCE I CAN DANCE" forced, gurning comedy and whimsy to his hysterical, emo rantings "ROSE I WASN'T I COULDN'T" he was about as far removed from the more austeir, level headed, aristocratic Doctor's of True Who as possible.

His costume was also terrible. Was it Rob Filth who said that he looked like Alfie Moon? Personally I think they were going for more of an Angel look, but that's what he looked like.

His romance was Rose was also both creepy and out of character and set a terrible precedent.

Finally on top of this he was a totally useless and literally never saved the day in any story.

Overall the 9th Doctor set the New Who template. I've always said that the most important Doctor in any iteration is the first one. All of the classic era Doctors follow on the core template of William Hartnell, IE they are all aristocratic, asexual, ruthless when need be, all dress in victorian, edwardian clothing, all have long hair etc.

So with this in mind all the emo Doctor crap, useless Doctor, Doctor with modern clothes, like Doctor Disco, romance with the companion etc comes from Eccelston. He created the shit template.

After Eccelston, Tennant was the weakest, but at least he was a more charismatic hero in the story itself. Capaldi meanwhile was the biggest waste, as he could have been a good Doctor, unlike Eccelston or Tennant who though great actors were never a good fit for the part IMO.

Ludders

Ludders

As cringeworthy as he was in many ways, he didn’t create the template for Dr Nu, RTD did. That’s why when it comes down to it, all the NuWho doctors are crap. All of them. Even Smith in the end. They might be some slightly different ways of being more crap or slightly less crap at different points in show’s history, but when you strip it all away, the entire conception of Dr Nu is ultimately down to RTD. It wouldnt’ve mattered who he chose to play the part because he was the guiding hand and the puppet master.
Even if they’d gone with McGann, as many were hoping; he wouldn’t have been anything like he was in the BF audios, because he wouldn’t be playing Dr Who, he’d be playing Dr Nu.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Besides, Davison was the first 'emo', unfit for purpose Doctor, long before Eccleston.

Ludders

Ludders

Tanmann wrote:Besides, Davison was the first 'emo', unfit for purpose Doctor, long before Eccleston.

Except Eccleston is terrible at doing 'emo'. Big Grin

I still think his flashes of anger are really good though. Trouble is, he didn't seem to be able to bring much else to the role, IMO.
Even so, it's one up on Tennant. LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum