Bernard Marx
DogStar2000
Zarius
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
iank
Boofer
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 8:05 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

After 14 relentless years of NuWho, how does “Rose” hold up today? To my mind, it’s an extremely lightweight affair which has dated horrendously (and a copy of Spearhead from Space which incidentally looks and sounds much cheaper than its season 7 counterpart), and one which introduced many of NuWho’s worst excesses (primarily tonal inconsistency, ranging from the sombre scenes concerning Clive’s character to the idiotic burping wheelie bin and gurning from Eccleston, and the soap opera conventions associated with Rose’s characterisation), but what is the Hive’s take on it?

2Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 8:13 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I liked it at the time. It seemed like a real "getting down to business" pilot and made me think we were going to be in for a smart, exciting, fun new era.

I think if I watched it again, it'd still more or less get by on atmosphere and pace. But for the most part I could probably take it or leave it now.

3Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 8:22 pm

REDACTED

As with Tanmann, I liked it at the time despite being a watered down remake of Spearhead but nowadays whilst I can enjoy it as mindless entertainment, the soapy feel to the scenes in the flat and the plastic (pun partly intended) 2000s feel to it as well as the ending and the burping wheelie bin leave me feeling cold.

Plus, Billie Piper was kind of hot in this episode. Just saying. Smile Surprised

4Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 8:26 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:Plus, Billie Piper was kind of hot in this episode. Just saying. Smile Surprised

She seemed a bit dumpy and gormless in it for me.

Still, by Dalek and Empty Child she managed to find pride of place in my wank-bank.

5Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 8:30 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:
Indrid Mercury wrote:Plus, Billie Piper was kind of hot in this episode. Just saying. Smile Surprised

She seemed a bit dumpy and gormless in this for me.

Still, by Dalek and Empty Child she managed to find pride of place in my wank-bank.

I mean at the beginning when she first wakes up. I just have a thing for ladies with bedhead.  Big Grin

Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Downlo11
Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Downlo12

6Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 8:31 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Tanmann wrote:She seemed a bit dumpy and gormless in it for me.

Wardrobe was pretty terrible for her during that first season.

The gormless award surely goes to Mickey in that story. He's cowardly, ineffective, and has his girl stolen by a middle-aged white man Razz

7Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 8:34 pm

iank

iank

Liked it at the time, pretty much unwatchable now.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

8Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 8:43 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

I'm with Tanmann and Indrid on this story. Pretty watchable, although it has aged terribly. I will admit that it was nice to have a first new Doctor story that is not a post-regeneration story (admittedly, I'm so sick of the post-regeneration formula), and I even like the concept of an outsider finding out what the Doctor is. If I go back to this story, I actually just read the Target novelisation as I feel that it has less of the aged milk factor and feels more detailed in terms of a story.

9Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 9:34 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I remember liking it, not loving it.

I did an edit of it with two changes...using McGann's "Night of the Doctor" and having Doc leave Rose at the end. Much better.

10Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 9:52 pm

DogStar2000

iank wrote:Liked it at the time, pretty much unwatchable now.
Well at least there is something we agree on. Smile

When I watch it now I want to scream at my screen when I see Rose Tyler's attempt at a Buffy moment at the end. She farts around with chains, delivering her slowly drown out wisecrack about gymnastics, while the Autons wait to have there vile of anti-plastic kicked into the Nestene goo.

Fucking embarrassing! Embarassed

https://theleisurehive.proboards.com/

11Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 9:59 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

DogStar2000 wrote:
iank wrote:Liked it at the time, pretty much unwatchable now.
Well at least there is something we agree on.  Smile

When I watch it now I want to scream at my screen when I see Rose Tyler's attempt at a Buffy moment at the end. She farts around with chains, delivering her slowly drown out wisecrack about gymnastics, while the Autons wait to have there vile of anti-plastic kicked into the Nestene goo.

Fucking embarrassing!  Embarassed
Completely agree. That scene is very badly directed, and it being followed up with the Autons performing what looks like a Michael Jackson Moonwalk before collapsing to the ground after gunning down innocent bystanders just makes it all the more embarrassing. It’s an immediate indication of RTD’s lack of understanding of tone.

12Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 10:54 pm

REDACTED

Admittedly I think the Autons first appearance was pretty well done with them all slowly advancing on Rose but the moment that northern bloke from Ladbrokes popped up. It felt like the atmosphere had been lost....

13Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 24th November 2019, 11:44 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

I didn't like it at the time, and have never really warmed to it that much. The only time I felt slightly positive towards the Eccelston era was the 50th because at that time with Matt being so good, and the promise of a new, exciting era with Capaldi (oh the irony) I tried to embrace all of DW.

In hindsight though it was a shit era overall. Rose isn't the worst opening or episode. Had the rest of the series been great then it would have been okay as a servicable opening, but ultimately as many have pointed out it was a sign of things to come.

I always thought the Autons looked terrible too. As for Billie Piper, she did look pretty in it, but she always does. She looks like Paloma Faith, though I fancy Paloma a bit more. Paloma has a much crazier personality, though Billie Piper seems like a nice person all around.

She and Billie Piper need to play sisters in something.

14Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 8:24 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

I quite liked it back in 2005 but with hindsight, it was probably more to do with the fact that it was the first story in a brand new series of Doctor Who, rather than the quality of the episode. 'Rose' now looks more dated than TV from the '80s - an opening tale that is safe, simplistic, undemanding and not at all scary, either. Eccers (what the Hell does he look like??) appears awkward and unconvincing- a Northern, working-class bloke from space -"Run for yer life!"- and the soapy elements predominate while the science is rushed and inadequate - "Anti plastic!".  I don't find Rose a particularly likeable character in this story (nor BP fanciable) and poor Mickey comes across as stupid and shallow and the only domestic scene I like is when Jackie flirts with the Doctor: "There's a strange man in my bedroom" -  it's amusing in a cheesy, '70s sit-com kind of way.
This whole episode gave a brief taste of what was to come - a mawkish soap opera with monsters.

Last edited by Kaijuko on 26th November 2019, 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total

15Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 4:36 pm

stengos

stengos

Felt like half a story to me. The autons are already there on earth. No build up or background like there was in Spearhead or Terror.
Too much humour which undermined any sense of threat.
I liked Mickey - a bit of a clutz, reminding me of Harry Sullivan in a way.

16Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 4:38 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Tbh, this was a much better Auton story:

17Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 4:51 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Indrid Mercury wrote:
Tanmann wrote:

She seemed a bit dumpy and gormless in this for me.

I mean at the beginning when she first wakes up. I just have a thing for ladies with bedhead.  Big Grin

Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Downlo11
Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Downlo12

Mmmm YES Big Grin

18Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 4:56 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Tanmann wrote:

Her best look is in New Earth.

Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Ass_210

Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Ass10

Damn.

19Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 4:57 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
She and Billie Piper need to play sisters in something.

Can't they play nympho lesbian lovers instead? Big Grin

20Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 7:04 pm

REDACTED

If I had to compare them, I'd say Spearhead is like a 1970s classic science fiction film and Rose is the watered down made for TV remake that you would probably find on something like the SyFy Channel.

Last edited by Indrid Mercury on 25th November 2019, 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

21Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 7:06 pm

REDACTED

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Tanmann wrote:

Her best look is in New Earth.

Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Ass_210

Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Ass10

Damn.

Come on dude! Don't make me break No Nut November!

22Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 25th November 2019, 9:55 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Indrid Mercury wrote:If I had to compare them, I'd say Spearhead is like a 1970s classic science fiction film and Rose is the watered down made for TV remake that you would probably find on something like the SyFy Channel.

Well, except the SyFy Channel stuff is usually a bit more po-faced about itself.

23Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 26th November 2019, 11:02 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Tanmann wrote:Tbh, this was a much better Auton story:

Love Sophie Ellis Bextor. She's gorgeous and she has a really nice voice.

I always get the impression that she was a really nice person too. My profile pic is one of my fave pictures. I don't think I'll ever change it. That was a bad time for Amy. So many sheep in the mainstream media were being absolute fucking cunts too her about her looks (which considering she suffered from anorexia, and cut herself is even more low.) I remember so many of our now woke celebs joining in.

Sophie however was really kind and supportive of Amy during that time, and that picture is such a lovely moment where Amy looks happy.

Hell I'm sure Sophie would have done a better job running DW than RTD, or Moff or Chibnall. I have no idea whether she likes sci fi or not, but she really couldn't have done a worse job could she? Big Grin

I hate to say it because I might sound like Paul Cornell, but I sometimes wonder if it would have been better giving the 21st century version to a woman in the early 00s. An honest female fan probably wouldn't suffer from the same pathetic insecurities that a male fan would of "I need to prove that I'm not a sad anorak." Like Moffat and Paul Cornell. Furthermore because of the stereotype of women not liking sci fi, they might have been more determined to overcome that.

24Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? Empty Re: Thoughts on NuWho’s opening story? 26th November 2019, 4:52 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:
Love Sophie Ellis Bextor. She's gorgeous and she has a really nice voice.

You think everyone is gorgeous. You're just obsessed with women, man. Tut.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum