Zarius
TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Ludders
Tanmann
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
REDACTED
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 30th October 2019, 1:26 pm

REDACTED

Much of fandom regard Season 20 as being Davison's weakest season, but what are your thoughts on it?

Saint or Sinner?

My ratings

Arc Of Infinity: 3/5
Snakedance: 4/5
Mawdryn Undead: 3.5/5
Terminus: 2.5/5
Enlightenment: 4.5/5
The Kings Demons: 2.5/5
The Five Doctors: 5/5

Last edited by Indrid Mercury on 3rd November 2019, 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

2Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 30th October 2019, 4:50 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

My least favourite Season next to Season 17. While Season 20 has higher highs than Season 19, it's lows are unbelievably so low for Classic Who.
Arc of Infinity is beyond fucking dull. I thought Invasion of Time was bad enough in terms of Gallifrey's interpretation, but Arc of Infinity made it and it's citizens to be utterly boring and incompetent. These are not 'the most powerful God-like species in the universe' that stories like The War Games or Trial of a Timelord depicted them being. Omega is considerably inferior to his excellent portrayal in The Three Doctors, both in terms of character and especially in design. Barring scenes in Amsterdam, the atmosphere is so static and lifeless, the 5th Doctor is a complete idiot, and the one time he shouts at someone, it's at the one person that doesn't deserve it (poor Nyssa). Dreadful.
Snakedance in terms of a story and atmosphere is more cohesive than Kinda, although I kinda prefer the latter in terms of ambition and creativity, despite its rough edges. I like how the 5th Doctor is characterised, Janet Fielding is once again wonderful as a possessed Tegan, the story feels alive with some of the finest sets in Classic Who and the guest cast are deliciously entertaining, even with the campiness. Definitely one of three standouts in this Season.
Mawdryn Undead is a loved story by many people, but every time I try to watch it, I keep trying to ask myself if there's something missing in this story. Maybe it's because I don't find Mawdryn himself that effective of a villain, and I don't buy that Nyssa and Tegan are convinced that he is the Doctor. It's nice to see the Brigadier again, and by this point I enjoy what they were attempting to do with Turlough, but I find myself not going back to this story that much.
Terminus is quite possibly the most boring and 'cure for insomnia' story in Who History, and I'm including the expanded universe when I say that. Davison is completely pushed to the sidelines, never having any gravitas (it's no wonder that Davison wanted to leave by his 3rd Season), Tegan continues to be as unlikeable as ever, the sets are about as unmemorable as dry beige paint, the robots are laughably awful, the pace is at a slog with technobabble never being worse than in here, Turlough's arc does not advance in any way in this story, and the best 5th Doctor companion leaves here. Again, a nadir for the era.
Enlightenment is such a breath of fresh air for the Davison era and may be his finest TV story, barring Caves of Androzani. It amazes me that we finally get a 5th Doctor brimmed with complex, youthful, passionate, fiery emotions and I wished that we had this 5th Doctor throughout the entirety of his era. The sets and atmosphere are the best that Classic Who has ever had to offer, and it's criminal that Fiona Cumming has never been brought back to direct more Who stories, as she is the best director that Who has ever had. There's fantastic lore with the Eternals, and the Guardians are at their best in this, even more than The Key to Time arc. Utterly imaginative, daring, exciting, this is everything that I wanted from the Davison era.
How did we get from the excellence of Enlightenment to the utter incompetence of The King's Demons? Turlough is finally a member of the Tardis team, and he gets nothing to do, the characters are put in such a £5 pantomime manner that I can't even laugh at it to how awful it is, the action and tension are practically non-existent, The Master's plot is almost as nonsensical as his plan in Time-Flight, and it's just so boring.
The Five Doctors is certainly a great story, although I do prefer The Three Doctors in terms of multi-Doctor stories. Hurndell is an excellent successor to Hartnell, both in terms of mannerisms and performance, Troughton and Pertwee steal the whole show as usual, there's fascinating lore with Rassilon and Gallifrey that the show desperately needed after the awfulness of Arc of Infinity. Also, next to Survival, this may be Anthony Ainley's best story for the 80s Master. Best of all, all the references never hindered the story in any fashion and the story moves at a perfect pace. I really like this story.

3Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 30th October 2019, 9:03 pm

iank

iank

Season 20 is my favourite Davison season, and probably the 4th best of the 80s. Yeah Arc and King's Demons are a bit iffy, but Snakedance is great (vastly superior to Kinda in every way), the Black Guardian trilogy is excellent (including the vastly underrated Terminus) and The Five Doctors is how you do an anniversary story, Mofftwat.
Never understood fandom's attitude to this season, it's lovely.

Saint.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 1st November 2019, 4:02 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Sinner for me.

It only seems to have Enlightenment going for it (or, at a push, Snakedance, but even that feels it suffers from contrived sequelitis, and ends a far less intriguing story than it started). Incidentally I don't really count The Five Doctors as part of the season.

The rest of the season is ungodly depressing and lethargic, and does little to inspire confidence in Davison's Doctor or give him much to do. It's less an anniversary season that commemorates the show's longevity, and more one that just puts years on the show.

And already the Master has become something of an unending tedious joke long past his endpoint.

Frankly the likes of Carnival of Monsters, Brain of Morbius and Destiny of the Daleks would've been better stories for an anniversary season.

5Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 1st November 2019, 5:11 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Fuck me, I agree with IanK more or less word for word.
Mark this day because it doesn’t happen very often. Lol

6Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 1st November 2019, 9:02 pm

iank

iank

LOL

It's in my top 10, honestly.

7Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 1st November 2019, 9:17 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I'd rather have hemorrhoids than watch Arc of Infinity again.

8Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 1st November 2019, 9:30 pm

iank

iank

It's not very good... but that's going a little far. Big Grin

9Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 1st November 2019, 10:31 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

It was a little dull. The season conjures images of faded colours.

Enlightenment was excellent though, as was Mawdryn Undead barring some continuity issues. Five Doctors too if you count it as Season 20.

The writing was pretty good generally, it was largely just suffering from a lacklustre beginning/end and an overall ... blandness?

10Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 1st November 2019, 10:37 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I'd rather have hemorrhoids than watch Arc of Infinity again.

Shouldn't shove aerosols up your rusty sheriff's badge then, should you? LOL

11Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 3rd November 2019, 3:12 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Series 20 is getting the blu-ray treatment next year according to reddit.

12Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 3rd November 2019, 8:41 pm

iank

iank

I heard that the other day too. I like it a lot, so I'm pleased.

13Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 3rd November 2019, 8:46 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Cunnus Maximus wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:I'd rather have hemorrhoids than watch Arc of Infinity again.

Shouldn't shove aerosols up your rusty sheriff's badge then, should you? LOL

I already told you that was a mate of mine. I'd never do anything so foul! Besides, I couldn't fit them up there the last time I tried LOL

14Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 3rd November 2019, 8:47 pm

Doctor7

I do enjoy the five doctors.terminus,enlightenment so might be worth getting,and arc of infinity just for introducing commander maxil to who lore

15Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 4th November 2019, 6:50 am

Boofer

Boofer

Hit and miss season for me.

Arc Of Infinity: 5/10
Snakedance: 5/10
Mawdryn Undead: 8/10
Terminus: 6/10
Enlightenment: 8/10
The Kings Demons: 6/10
The Five Doctors: 7/10

16Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 12th February 2020, 10:50 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Arc of Infinity 2/10
Snakedance 8/10
Mawdryn Undead 10/10
Terminus 2/10
Enlightenment 10/10
The King's Demons 7/10
The Five Doctors 7/10

17Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 12th February 2020, 10:58 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Arc of Infinity 9/10
Snakedance 10/10
Mawdryn Undead 8.5/10
Terminus 8.5/10
Enlightenment 9/10
The King's Demons 8/10
The Five Doctors 10/10

Season 20 is great, I can't watch it enough.

18Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? Empty Re: Season 20: Too Continuity Obsessed? 12th February 2020, 11:55 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I was thinking maybe Turlough's arc from Black Guardian's assassin to redemption would've been better suited to a Doctor Who movie (in the vein of Terry Gilliam's Adventures of Baron Munchausen) than to half a season of fits and starts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum