You are not connected. Please login or register

Is there anything to be done about neoliberalism?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ludders

Ludders

This is pretty basic but it gets the point across.
Isn't it time to bin vulture capitalism and consign the Hayek and Friedman model to history?

https://unherd.com/thepost/there-is-nothing-wrong-with-neoliberalism-as-a-word/

Boofer

Boofer

I feel it may collapse in the next 10-15 years because everything has become so top heavy. We were told for 40 years that everything would trickle down to the plebs, but what we've seen instead is a reduction in the price of goods and cost of credit, and a massive hike in utilities and house prices.

Meanwhile, billionaires and shareholders have benefited from the sales of national assets, and cuts to public services which have funded tax cuts for them and the highest earners.

Low-wage globalism has given us the cheap goods, but increased margins for huge multinationals. It's unsustainable, as you eventually run out of developing-world labour. Shifting this shit all around the world isn't exactly carbon neutral either. It's a system that damages lives and the planet.

The rich, may yet, get eaten.

Ludders

Ludders

Very well put.
I fear for Britain in particular if Brexit goes ahead on Boris's terms and Britain becomes Walmart UK.
I see things only getting worse before they get better, and will only get better with a huge systemic change.
There have been quite a lot of writings on neoliberalism of late, but we still seem to have a vast majority who don't seem to grasp the sham behind austerity.

Boofer

Boofer

This is the sort of thing that neoliberalism enables.

Ludders

Ludders

Yep.
But not enough people give a fuck, mate.
They're too busy handwringing over the minority of 'woke' liberal left.
Like you said on another thread recently,; economic arguments don't seem to matter anymore. Everyone's too busy fighting the culture war.
That and the fact that few people under 50 have any memory at all of the 1945-1979 Keynesian model.

burrunjor

burrunjor

Ronnie wrote:Yep.
But not enough people give a fuck, mate.
They're too busy handwringing over the minority of 'woke' liberal left.
Like you said on another thread recently,; economic arguments don't seem to matter anymore. Everyone's too busy fighting the culture war.
That and the fact that few people under 50 have any memory at all of the 1945-1979 Keynesian model.

Exactly. I've been saying this for years. Identity politics is the best attack on genuine left wing politics there has ever been. It splinters us up into tiny groups, all fighting among each other, instead of uniting to tackle the real problems in society.

Its why people like Hillary Clinton and George Soros love identity politics.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum