New Who and “emotional depth”

+4
Boofer
Pepsi Maxil
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Ludders
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Who and “emotional depth” Empty New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 8:52 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I’ve noticed that much of New Who fandom adhere to the series due to its hopelessly mawkish “emotional” elements, and don’t tend to adhere to the classic series due to its focus on conceptual and narrative rigour rather than moments of overt and coerced emotion. Would you guys argue that New Who’s emotional incontinence and over-reliance on soap opera conventions was due to the showrunners’ self-loathing? And due to their desperation in not being seen as nerdy? Honestly, looking back at the vast majority of New Who’s “emotional scenes”, none of them inspire any depth whatsoever as far as I’m concerned: The conclusion to Dalek had me laughing my arse off on my latest viewing due to how bloody awful it was, as did the nauseating concluding 10 minutes of Doomsday, yet these moments are lauded by many fans as being great moments.

I miss the days when Doctor Who was intelligent, inspired and didn’t constantly patronise its viewers with sickening musical beats and moronic mawkish moments. Take the end of The War Games, for example, where Jamie and Zoe depart: It could be overplayed with gushy music, yet is considerably underplayed, with only the eerie sound design of the scene underscoring proceedings, which makes the scene all the more pertinent due to its subtle rendition. An even more low key example would be in The Mind Of Evil, where Jo tends to an injured Doctor in a prison cell- a moment which under New Who would be overplayed unbearably, yet is likewise underplayed and portrayed as a mere tender moment as opposed to an overwrought 10 minutes of characters crying their fucking eyes out to Gold’s music.

Such scenes just come across as moronic and patronising to me, yet are praised to the skies by much of fandom. What do you guys think?

2New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 9:29 am

iank

iank

Emotional incontinence was the term I used.
To be fair, I don't this was as bad in the Moffat era. I don't think the soap was quite as much in evidence there either, although it's certainly more a New Who thing than it ever was before. It was still there a bit on occasion but not to the extent it had been under Davies.
I can't speak for Chinballs as I saw 10 minutes of ep 1 and that was enough...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 9:35 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

iank wrote:Emotional incontinence was the term I used.
To be fair, I don't this was as bad in the Moffat era. I don't think the soap was quite as much in evidence there either, although it's certainly more a New Who thing than it ever was before. It was still there a bit on occasion but not to the extent it had been under Davies.
That’s true enough- it was there during Moffat’s era, though wasn’t as pronounced or sickening. This mainly came to mind due to my revisiting prior eras of New Who recently, and was stunned at how poorly handled these scenes were. Do you think Moffat’s reducing of abundant soap conventions early on in his era was a key factor in why quite a few Tennant fans stopped watching? Nothing in Moffat’s era comes close in terms of ‘emotional incontinence’ to the last 20 minutes of The End Of Time, anyway, even if Moffat’s era royally fucked up in other ways (though the Christmas specials weren’t far off in terms of mawkishness, especially The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe).

I semi-watched episode 1 of Chinballs’ era, and sat through Arachnids in full. The soap conventions were certainly there, though just seemed half-arsed as opposed to overdone as with RTD. It was hardly series 11’s biggest problem anyway, given how profoundly awful it all was. Smile

4New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 10:33 am

Ludders

Ludders

It's one of the biggest flaws in NuWho. Not just the mawkishness, but the pandering to modern day generations that think they need it.
It's part of what has made it mundane and ordinary, because that's the level that they're aspiring to reach, instead of trying to inspire an audience to reach beyond the everyday things that you see not just in soap operas, but most modern day tv.
Dr Who was once unique unto itself, but now so much of the content, tone, style, and lack of vision, is what makes it so much like everything else that's on tv these days.
Once, it ventured out on its own and dared to be just what it was. Nowadays, it's just desperate to fit in.

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

5New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 12:00 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:It's one of the biggest flaws in NuWho. Not just the mawkishness, but the pandering to modern day generations that think they need it.
It's part of what has made it mundane and ordinary, because that's the level that they're aspiring to reach, instead of trying to inspire an audience to reach beyond the everyday things that you see not just in soap operas, but most modern day tv.
Dr Who was once unique unto itself, but now so much of the content, tone, style, and lack of vision, is what makes it so much like everything else that's on tv these days.
Once, it ventured out on its own and dared to be just what it was. Nowadays, it's just desperate to fit in.
Agreed. Alongside the overwrought mawkishness, one of the most disappointing things about New Who is just how conservative it all is.

6New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 12:52 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Ronnie wrote:It's one of the biggest flaws in NuWho. Not just the mawkishness, but the pandering to modern day generations that think they need it.

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Which he nicked from me.

LOL

7New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 2:39 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Five stars to you then. Lol

8New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 3:12 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Honestly, it may be because of RTD (and to a lesser extent, a lot of other media that has NewWho's philosophy like Smallville or Charmed) were trying to copy Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it's legacy, without actually looking properly at what made the show so phenomenal. The show has a multitude of layers and subtexts that separate itself from falling into the traps of melodrama and mawkishness (and it is a show that could have easily fallen down to the melodrama if it didn't have clever writers). There's a reason why it and Star Trek are the most studied media subjects in universities/colleges. NewWho just looks at the bare minimum of the idea of Buffy, and decides "screw it, let's just copy this and apply it to own IP", without thinking "how could we intrinsically apply the drama and fuse it into the sci-fi aspect". In fact, that's a reason why I find the Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee and McGann (Books) eras so phenomenal, because the writers do fuse them together, without trying to make one dominate over the other. Which is where the trappings sadly land for the VNA'S and NewWho, they allowed the melodrama to overshadow the sci-fi aspects and it ended up being another standard tv show.

9New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 3:53 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I think the 1960's was a very overlooked, strong period of the show, emotionally. There were a lot of poignant moments to come out of that era. Ganatus' broken conviction after his brother dies, Larry dying in his robotized brother's arms. Susan's goodbye, Vicki recalling the death of her father in The Rescue, Hartnell's "I shall miss them, silly old fusspots", Troughton's moment of consoling Victoria in Tomb, Jamie and Zoe's goodbye.

It became a bit more of a straight-forward action series in the 70's, but even then Inferno has some positively harrowing moments, The Three Doctors leaves a bit of a lump in my throat, as does the moment in Genesis where the Doctor thinks Sarah and Harry have been killed in the Kaled dome, and where Sarah realizes Scarman's been killed.

The 1980s seemed to be where it tried, rather cynically to gesture back to emotional impact and recreating old poignant moments from the past, often horribly (Warriors of the Deep, Time-Flight's opening crassly mishandling and then dismissing the aftermath of Adric's death), usually because no-one was on the same page behind the scenes. Sometimes though they pulled off something that cut deep, like Sharaz Jek's pathos in Androzani, Stengos recognising Natasha despite his conditioning, and then begging her to mercy kill him.

The point where I think Doctor Who really mastered emotional content for a 21st century audience was...... the Big Finish audios of course. Stories like The Holy Terror, Spare Parts, Creatures of Beauty, Jubilee, Davros, Terror Firma and the Dalek Empire audios. Rarely has Who got to me emotionally quite like those stories did.

New Who I would say just borrowed some of its best bits and best writers, sometimes well, in a way that did make me think and believe in the characters (Dalek, Father's Day, Parting of the Ways), but seemed to go the cheap soap route for all the rest, by downgrading the Doctor to an apologetic bloke you'd find in a soap or boyband, in a way Big Finish never had to.

The problem I think only became apparent after Eccleston left. The show had decided that Father's Day was its best success with the female demographic, that became its brand, and so kept on trying to do it again. Rise of the Cybermen for me seemed just as much an obsessive, redundant scab-picking at that previous done story as Warriors of the Deep was.

Some of the worst moments of Tennant's era involved Martha stopping to tell us how sad we should be at a particular moment (i.e. after killing the big slaves in the lift, or her own clone dying and suddenly giving a mawkish speech to make us care, or one of the Hath drowning).

Someone on Planet Mondas once said to me that in the old series, scripts were rushed and so they sometimes didn't have time to insert character or emotional moments into the stories. The problem in New Who seemed that it was just as rushed, but they decided to rush-add stupid mawkish moments in anyway that were so patronisingly contrived and ham-fisted.

The problem is, its reputation as the emotionally superior incarnation of the show was so set in stone, that even the botched aftermath of Amy and Rory losing their baby, which was worse than any similar botch job in the 80's, didn't seem to tarnish its reputation or see the old show threated more forgivingly.

10New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 5:36 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Bernard Marx wrote:
That’s true enough- it was there during Moffat’s era, though wasn’t as pronounced or sickening. This mainly came to mind due to my revisiting prior eras of New Who recently, and was stunned at how poorly handled these scenes were. Do you think Moffat’s reducing of abundant soap conventions early on in his era was a key factor in why quite a few Tennant fans stopped watching? Nothing in Moffat’s era comes close in terms of ‘emotional incontinence’ to the last 20 minutes of The End Of Time, anyway, even if Moffat’s era royally fucked up in other ways (though the Christmas specials weren’t far off in terms of mawkishness, especially The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe).

I semi-watched episode 1 of Chinballs’ era, and sat through Arachnids in full. The soap conventions were certainly there, though just seemed half-arsed as opposed to overdone as with RTD. It was hardly series 11’s biggest problem anyway, given how profoundly awful it all was. Smile

Sorry guys, but I really have to disagree on this one. Not only is the OTT emotional manipulation still present in Moffat's era but, if anything, its even worse. How many times was the day saved by the "Power of Love"? How many times were we goaded to gush floods of tears by the the overwrought mourning over the "death" of a character only to find them brought back again five minutes later? ( itself a glaring and infantile flaw in Moffat's writing. How can there be any dramatic stakes if no-one is ever truly at risk and the same card is played over and over again as if we, the audience, are so stupid we won't see it coming? Is Moffat, the writer, idiot enough to think this effective or does he just think we are?)

Bracewell deactivating the bomb inside himself by recalling memories of his first love (huh?), the constant blubbing over Rory's multiple "deaths" (how many timeas are we supposed to fall for this?), the appalling, crass exploitation of Vincent Van Gogh's depression and suicide for effect (no, I don't think it was profound or sincere, bring on the power ballad, folks!), the guff about Amy's disappearing and re-appearing family, the milking of Idris' departure, Craig's love for his baby son making the Cybermen's heads explode (Oh COME ON!), the mawkish "leaf" drivel of the Rings of Akhaten and the Doctor's subsequent appalling speech (moved yet?), the misunderstood monsters whose true motivation is really love (Hide and Time Heist both), the Doctor's hysterical blubbing over Amy and Rory's departure (even here, Moffat doesn't have the guts to kill them off, they've merely been transported back in time and lived full lives there, some tragedy), the prolonged hysteria over Clara's death in Face The Raven (is it even worth mentioning that I predicted she'd be back in two episodes' time..?), Bill's death also being undone by her magical puddle girl in yet another "emotional" scene.

And, yes, The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe, with its gutless resolution in which the lost father is restored to life by some more magical gubbins. I recall watching at the time as the children are re-united with their mother, yelling at the television "Cut it here, Moffat!" and thinking "Don't go any further; you have the potential to communicate something meaningful here about how love can overcome loss, that the mother and her children will find the strength to overcome together", but NO, he had to bring the father back in a Disneyesque resolution that teaches the children watching nothing about how to deal with real life and death and insults those who actually lost loved ones in the war into the bargain. "Humany Wumany" (WHAT?? SHUT UP!! What the hell kind of writing is that?)

I would also contend that the soap opera elements remained, with all the carry on about Amy and Rory's marital woes (their yelling at each other about being unable to have children thuds like a lead brick in the middle of Asylum of the Daleks, a narrative non-sequitur to most viewers that brings events screeching to a halt due to the fact that you had to have watched an online "mini-sode" to understand where all this had come from), the Clara and Danny Pink rubbish and all the dropping off and picking up of Clara that the Doctor has to do precisely so that Moffat can access the family/romantic drama crap whenever he wants to (the fact that this all seems so half-arsed is no improvement, in my view; it merely makes the writing seem poorer and more cynical). Ultimately, this all ends up with Bill and her lesbian relationship and the Doctor playing Dad/dogsbody as she moves into her student digs, at which point Bill lectures the Doctor about the boundaries between her relationship with him and her actual "life". Marvellous.

Davies undoubtedly started this stuff and he has to carry the can for it but Moffat is guilty of carrying it on and the fact that in his hands it all seems so insincere (Moffat always comes over in interview as a deeply cynical man who couldn't possibly buy into this stuff) actually makes it worse. The "emotion" merely being a shoehorned in element with no integrity designed to suck in the simple and reactive audience Moffat clearly thought he had. I certainly don't buy that it was ever his intention to turn back in the direction of the original series. Not for a minute.

11New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 5:56 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

UncleDeadly wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:

Sorry guys, but I really have to disagree on this one. Not only is the OTT emotional manipulation still present in Moffat's era but, if anything, its even worse.

Ian is an obvious Moffat fanboy. I still adore him, though. Apparently Aussie men don't wear anything under their kilts. I reckon Ian has the Series 5 box set strapped to his ballsack underneath his.

Last edited by Pepsi Maxil on 21st September 2019, 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

12New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 6:03 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

UncleDeadly wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:

Sorry guys, but I really have to disagree on this one. Not only is the OTT emotional manipulation still present in Moffat's era but, if anything, its even worse. How many times was the day saved by the "Power of Love"? How many times were we goaded to gush floods of tears by the the overwrought mourning over the "death" of a character only to find them brought back again five minutes later? ( itself a glaring and infantile flaw in Moffat's writing. How can there be any dramatic stakes if no-one is ever truly at risk and the same card is played over and over again as if we, the audience, are so stupid we won't see it coming? Is Moffat, the writer, idiot enough to think this effective or does he just think we are?)

Bracewell deactivating the bomb inside himself by recalling memories of his first love (huh?), the constant blubbing over Rory's multiple "deaths" (how many timeas are we supposed to fall for this?), the appalling, crass exploitation of Vincent Van Gogh's depression and suicide for effect (no, I don't think it was profound or sincere, bring on the power ballad, folks!), the guff about Amy's disappearing and re-appearing family, the milking of Idris' departure, Craig's love for his baby son making the Cybermen's heads explode (Oh COME ON!), the mawkish "leaf" drivel of the Rings of Akhaten and the Doctor's subsequent appalling speech (moved yet?), the misunderstood monsters whose true motivation is really love (Hide and Time Heist both), the Doctor's hysterical blubbing over Amy and Rory's departure (even here, Moffat doesn't have the guts to kill them off, they've merely been transported back in time and lived full lives there, some tragedy), the prolonged hysteria over Clara's death in Face The Raven (is it even worth mentioning that I predicted she'd be back in two episodes' time..?), Bill's death also being undone by her magical puddle girl in yet another "emotional" scene.

And, yes, The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe, with its gutless resolution in which the lost father is restored to life by some more magical gubbins. I recall watching at the time as the children are re-united with their mother, yelling at the television "Cut it here, Moffat!" and thinking "Don't go any further; you have the potential to communicate something meaningful here about how love can overcome loss, that the mother and her children will find the strength to overcome together", but NO, he had to bring the father back in a Disneyesque resolution that teaches the children watching nothing about how to deal with real life and death and insults those who actually lost loved ones in the war into the bargain. "Humany Wumany" (WHAT?? SHUT UP!! What the hell kind of writing is that?)

I would also contend that the soap opera elements remained, with all the carry on about Amy and Rory's marital woes (their yelling at each other about being unable to have children thuds like a lead brick in the middle of Asylum of the Daleks, a narrative non-sequitur to most viewers that brings events screeching to a halt due to the fact that you had to have watched an online "mini-sode" to understand where all this had come from), the Clara and Danny Pink rubbish and all the dropping off and picking up of Clara that the Doctor has to do precisely so that Moffat can access the family/romantic drama crap whenever he wants to (the fact that this all seems so half-arsed is no improvement, in my view; it merely makes the writing seem poorer and more cynical). Ultimately, this all ends up with Bill and her lesbian relationship and the Doctor playing Dad/dogsbody as she moves into her student digs, at which point Bill lectures the Doctor about the boundaries between her relationship with him and her actual "life". Marvellous.

Davies undoubtedly started this stuff and he has to carry the can for it but Moffat is guilty of carrying it on and the fact that in his hands it all seems so insincere (Moffat always comes over in interview as a deeply cynical man who couldn't possibly buy into this stuff) actually makes it worse. The "emotion" merely being a shoehorned in element with no integrity designed to suck in the simple and reactive audience Moffat clearly thought he had. I certainly don't buy that it was ever his intention to turn back in the direction of the original series. Not for a minute.

Without intending to sound overly flexible, upon reflection, you’re not wrong about any of this. What the fuck was I saying? I forgot about the “humany wumany” fucking twee bollocks, probably because I haven’t watched the thing since broadcast and have since repressed any memory of it due to its inexcusable shiteness (and I mainly rely on my own personal nostalgia for series 5 these days when thinking back to the era as it was the season that kick-started my interest in the classic series- I’m not sure why I choose to look back at Moffat’s tenure that way, as it clouds my objective analysis of the overall era rather considerably). The example from Asylum is just inexcusable as well- it not only has zero set up prior to the episode (bar a bunch of minisodes written by Chinballs), not only intruded the narrative at hand and added nothing necessary or consequential to the episode, not only had the lousiest resolution conceivable, not only could have been resolved via simply turning to adoption etc, but ended up baring no weight on any future events at all. The ‘power of love’ endings occurred at least seven times in series 7 alone, let alone the Capaldi era, by which stage the tweeness of it all became insufferable to bear, and how did I forget fucking Closing Time? An ending which renders the body horror and staying power of the Cybermen completely absent via one of the most cheaply conceived attempts at “emotional depth” ever seen on the programme, where Craig’s child somehow caused Craig to revert back (if it’s as easy as that, the Cybermen must be fucking awful at the conversion process, and without sounding cruel, how did Craig even fit in the suit?). Both RTD and Moffat are renowned for bringing back alleged dead characters, though this turned into a running fucking joke during Moffat’s era (as in The Wedding Of River Song “The man who dies and dies again”, and other moments of cheap bathos in the era in relation to the lack of death).

I think the reason I assumed the Moffat era wasn’t as heavy on it was due to how passionless and half-arsed it was by design, as you say. In the RTD era, countless episodes go out of their way to contrive the narrative in order to nail such moments of maudlin mawkishness on the head, whereas in the Moffat era, they aren’t strung together by contrivances so much as by nothing at all (as with stories like Asylum of the Daleks and The Rings Of Ahkaten, where Clara is given some sort of redundant backstory concerning a fucking leaf, which eventually culminates in nothing but a passing mention by the season finale), which probably explains why general audiences didn’t buy into most of it, as opposed to RTD. Even the superficial emotional logic doesn’t gel due to, as you say, Moffat’s overarching cynicism. I think such an audience disconnect briefly gave me the impression that Moffat’s era wasn’t reliant on such tropes- even though it was, albeit lazily.

Last edited by Bernard Marx on 25th September 2019, 2:10 pm; edited 4 times in total

13New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 6:09 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I.... quite liked Rings of Akhaten Sad

14New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 6:34 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Tanmann wrote:I.... quite liked Rings of Akhaten Sad

I admire your courage in coming out, sir... Wink

15New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 6:37 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Thanks Smile

16New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 6:51 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

BernardMarx wrote:
Without intending to sound overly flexible, upon reflection, you’re not wrong about any of this. What the fuck was I saying? I forgot about the “humany womany” fucking twee bollocks, probably because I haven’t watched the thing since broadcast and have since repressed any memory of it due to its inexcusable shiteness (and I mainly rely on my own personal nostalgia for series 5 these days when thinking back to the era as it was the season that kick-started my interest in the classic series- I’m not sure why I choose to look back at Moffat’s tenure that way, as it clouds my objective analysis of the overall era rather considerably). The example from Asylum is just inexcusable as well- it not only has zero set up prior to the episode (bar a bunch of minisodes written by Chinballs), not only intruded the narrative at hand and added nothing necessary or consequential to the episode, not only had the lousiest resolution conceivable, not only could have been resolved via simply turning to adoption etc, but ended up baring no weight on any future events at all. The ‘power of love’ endings occurred at least seven times in series 7 alone, let alone the Capaldi era, by which stage the tweeness of it all became insufferable to bear, and how did I forget fucking Closing Time? An ending which renders the body horror and staying power of the Cybermen completely absent via one of the most cheaply conceived attempts at “emotional depth” ever seen on the programme, where Craig’s child somehow caused Craig to revert back (if it’s as easy as that, the Cybermen must be fucking awful at the conversion process, and without sounding cruel, how did Craig even fit in the suit?). Both RTD and Moffat are renowned for bringing back alleged dead characters, though this turned into a running fucking joke during Moffat’s era (as in The Wedding Of River Song “The man who dies and dies again”, and other moments of cheap bathos in the era in relation to the lack of death).

I think the reason I assumed the Moffat era wasn’t as heavy on it was due to how passionless and half-arsed it was by design, as you say. In the RTD era, countless episodes go out of their way to contrive the narrative in order to nail such moments of maudlin mawkishness on the head, whereas in the Moffat era, they aren’t strung together by contrivances so much as by nothing at all (as with stories like Asylum of the Daleks and The Rings Of Ahkaten, where Clara is given some sort of redundant backstory concerning a fucking leaf, which eventually culminates in nothing but a passing mention by the season finale), which probably explains why general audiences didn’t buy into most of it, as opposed to RTD. Even the superficial emotional logic doesn’t gel due to, as you say, Moffat’s overarching cynicism. I think such an audience disconnect briefly gave me the impression that Moffat’s era wasn’t reliant on such tropes- even though it was, albeit lazily.

Yeah, I was about to suggest buried trauma but then re-read your opening paragraph. LOL  Anyway, I envy you your amnesia; I couldn't forget Closing Time precisely because of how awful it was.

17New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 6:57 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Ian is an obvious Moffat fanboy. I still adore him, though. Apparently Aussie men don't wear anything under their kilts. I reckon Ian has the Series 5 box set strapped to his ballsack underneath his.

Ha. Well, we mostly seem to be on the same page. I just have a massive blind spot when it comes to this series 5 and 6 being a huge improvement thing. I just don't see it. Series 5 perhaps mildly. Series 6? Forget it.

18New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 7:05 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Fuck me.

"Take it! Take it all baby!"

Cuntiest shit ever.

19New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 7:15 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Bernard Marx wrote:
Agreed. Alongside the overwrought mawkishness, one of the most disappointing things about New Who is just how conservative it all is.  

Precisely, and you cannot make a series like Doctor Who with that attitude. How can a science fiction and fantasy series possibly thrive when it cleaves to the mundane to try desperately to appeal to an audience that it believes is fundamentally not on its wavelength? And that is what we see Moffat doing throughout his tenure; blandly and cynically going through the motions of carrying on Davies' soap and sentimentalist tropes whilst his own writing reverts to his bad sitcom roots. Where is Doctor Who in all of this? Anything promising is always immediately dragged down by the baggage of unidiomatic "mainstream" television that they deem necessary for success.

I've often seen the argument put on gallifrey base that Doctor Who was always a mainstream show. It was meant for the general audience, yes, but it seems pretty clear that the BBC's estimation of the intelligence of the general audience back in the 60's, 70's and 80's was a good deal higher than it is now. But then, the BBC really is a pale shadow of its former self at this point.

Last edited by UncleDeadly on 21st September 2019, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

20New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 7:18 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Cunnus Maximus wrote:

Fuck me.

"Take it! Take it all baby!"

Cuntiest shit ever.

👍

21New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 7:39 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

UncleDeadly wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:

Precisely, and you cannot make a series like Doctor Who with that attitude. How can a science fiction and fantasy series possibly thrive when it cleaves to the mundane to try desperately to appeal to an audience that it believes is fundamentally not on its wavelength? And that is what we see Moffat doing throughout his tenure; blandly and cynically going through the motions of carrying on Davies' soap and sentimentalist tropes whilst his own writing reverts to his bad sitcom roots. Where is Doctor Who in all of this? Anything promising is always immediately dragged down by the baggage of unidiomatic "mainstream" television that they deem necessary for success.

I've often seen the argument put on gallifrey base that Doctor Who was always a mainstream show. It was meant for the general audience, yes, but it seems pretty clear that the BBC's estimation of the intelligence of the general audience back in the 60's, 70's and 80's was a good deal higher than it is now. But then, the BBC really is pale shadow of it former self at this point.
The series was always mainstream, yes, but some of the Classic Series’ most noticeable moments can derive from the surrealist roots of particular stories (see The Mind Robber, Kinda etc), and moments that defy the programme’s alleged position as a simplistic series for children (references to Existentialism, Entropy, Plato, Freud, Jung, Nietzsche, Wilfrid Gibson etc, the Doctor grappling with the ultimate moral quandary by the conclusion of Genesis Of The Daleks, the sheer grittiness of season 7, the esoteric and austere nature of the early JNT years, the otherworldly vibe of the unknown made prevalent during the 60s, the inspired and experimental musical scores the series often utilised during this era composed by the likes of Derbyshire, Cary etc). All these nuances made the classic series one that transcended the popcultural trappings of its zeitgeist into something far more endearing and unique, and one that adhered less to pop culture and more to inspired counter cultures (hence the LSD adhering traits of The Web Planet, The Mind Robber, Claws Of Axos etc, as I discuss on another thread).

And Galllifrey Base sounds like an echo chamber populated by people who only understand Doctor Who on the surface (as you also alluded to on ‘The Success Of New Who’ thread), so I’d say that any argument proposed by them is bound to lack any substance and have its roots in sheer unrivalled dumbfuckery.

22New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 21st September 2019, 10:57 pm

iank

iank

To be fair, most of that stuff comes from series 7. Which I've done my best to forget. Big Grin

Completely agree with Giraffe about Buffy and the surface-shallow-at-best emulation without any understanding of why that show actually worked.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

23New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 22nd September 2019, 6:56 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Bernard Marx wrote:All these nuances made the classic series one that transcended the popcultural trappings of its zeitgeist into something far more endearing and unique, and one that adhered less to pop culture and more to inspired counter cultures (hence the LSD adhering traits of The Web Planet, The Mind Robber, Claws Of Axos etc, as I discuss on another thread).

To my mind, it depends. I think the counterculture years inspired some of the best of Doctor Who, but also inspired some of the worst. The pacifist ethos of the hippie movement taken to its most moronic, nihilistic extreme got us Warriors of the Deep. The impact of the feminist movement is perhaps the one part of New Who that does revel in yesteryear's counterculture, but again often for the worse.

I suppose I would say the show was at its best when it had a good balance. The greats of Doctor Who were Terrance Dicks and Robert Holmes who skewed rather conservative and their tastes were for old Victoriana, but could still inject their stories with an element of class struggle (Horror of Fang Rock, State of Decay), critiques of the corrupt old order and the importance of societal progress (Brain of Morbius, The Deadly Assassin), and could allow for more left-leaning works too, and in a sense wielding swords through fire.

The problem today is that, of course, everyone is the same politically like-minded yes-men fanboys who either want the Doctor to represent everything 'right-on', or feel trapped and unable to write any other message.

24New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 22nd September 2019, 7:08 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Tanmann wrote:
Bernard Marx wrote:All these nuances made the classic series one that transcended the popcultural trappings of its zeitgeist into something far more endearing and unique, and one that adhered less to pop culture and more to inspired counter cultures (hence the LSD adhering traits of The Web Planet, The Mind Robber, Claws Of Axos etc, as I discuss on another thread).

To my mind, it depends. I think the counterculture years inspired some of the best of Doctor Who, but also inspired some of the worst. The pacifist ethos of the hippie movement taken to its most moronic, nihilistic extreme got us Warriors of the Deep. The impact of the feminist movement is perhaps the one part of New Who that does revel in yesteryear's counterculture, but again often for the worse.

I suppose I would say the show was at its best when it had a good balance. The greats of Doctor Who were Terrance Dicks and Robert Holmes who skewed rather conservative and their tastes were for old Victoriana, but could still inject their stories with an element of class struggle (Horror of Fang Rock, State of Decay), critiques of the corrupt old order and the importance of societal progress (Brain of Morbius, The Deadly Assassin), and could allow for more left-leaning works too, and in a sense wielding swords through fire.

The problem today is that, of course, everyone is the same politically like-minded yes-men fanboys who either want the Doctor to represent everything 'right-on', or feel trapped and unable to write any other message.
When I refer to counter cultures, I mainly refer to the more pioneering counter cultures as opposed to the regressive ones, yes. Though both Dicks and Holmes gravitated towards conservative in their values, they were open to other challenges critiques and ideas within their scripts (hell, the fact that Dicks collaborated with Malcolm Hulke who was incredibly left-leaning when writing The War Games just affirms as such), which does stimulate such a balance as you say.

I think what I’m trying to say is that in spite of whatever ideology the writers of Classic Who had, they still found a way of making the series unique- The Brain Of Morbius and The Deadly Assassin (to use examples you selected) juggle with already established literary works (Frankenstein, The Manchurian Candidate) and subvert them via both a science fiction context and through the styles the stories adopt (Morbius steering close to a parodic take on the gothic motifs of Shelley’s book whilst also commenting on progress, whilst Assassin places it in a more surreal context via the Matrix, etc). Such traits elevate such stories as unique, a trait which New Who seems to have fundamentally not given any fucks about.

25New Who and “emotional depth” Empty Re: New Who and “emotional depth” 22nd September 2019, 8:32 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I see your point.

I was just thinking actually that in terms of counterculture of the 2000's, there wasn't really much. There was the metal/skater scene, but there was generally nothing substantial to it other than being a bunch of cliquey, boring, irreverent slackers who gave no fucks, and even that had gone rather corporate and mainstream with bands like Limp Bizkit and OAP. In any case New Who seemed to ally itself more with the chavs (albeit trying to teach them to be more gay-tolerant).

There was the anti-war movement, but that was barely even a counterculture, it was pretty mainstream too, and had almost become indolent on its own smugness and echo chamber. And as such, when RTD threw them a bone in Aliens of London/World War III, it was barely intellectually challenging at all.

I suppose you could say there was a perhaps accidental tendency to make the Moffat Doctors and companions resemble a bunch of knowing hipsters.

But yeah, coulterculture seemed to be shit in the 2000's, and so there seemed nothing much for the show to draw on there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum