Enemy or Web?

Enemy or Web? I_vote_lcap27%Enemy or Web? I_vote_rcap 27% [ 3 ]
Enemy or Web? I_vote_lcap73%Enemy or Web? I_vote_rcap 73% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Enemy or Web? Empty Enemy or Web? 15th September 2019, 9:51 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Of the two missing stories found in 2013, which is superior? I’m definitely voting for Web Of Fear myself- Camfield’s direction is just wonderful, and the story is one of the most atmospheric in the programme’s history.

Brief trivia: Both of these stories are the only two in Doctor Who to feature stock music by Bartók.

2Enemy or Web? Empty Re: Enemy or Web? 15th September 2019, 10:16 am

Ludders

Ludders

There's no contest really, it has to be Web.
Although I always preferred The Abominable Snowmen when both yeti stories were still only available on audio. It's hard to say whether that would still be the case if both were available to watch; but certainly Web has several action scenes that don't translate so well on audio only.

3Enemy or Web? Empty Re: Enemy or Web? 15th September 2019, 10:20 am

stengos

stengos

I have only watched each of them once but from what i remember Web was definitely the superior of the two. Better acting, tighter plot, eerie atmosphere.

4Enemy or Web? Empty Re: Enemy or Web? 15th September 2019, 10:48 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Enemy.

5Enemy or Web? Empty Re: Enemy or Web? 15th September 2019, 10:58 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Web and its not even close.

I love how Web on the surface is just a straight forward, fun monster story, yet when you stop and think about it, its really quite a mad mash of different things.

You have Yeti's from the Himalaya's, a Lovecraftian disembodied spirit from another universe, robots, a guy from the Highlands in the 17th century, a girl from the 19th century, all thrown together in 1960s London!

That was what DW always did best IMO. Merge different genres and bring characters that could never be together in any other work of fiction together.

Added to that Web has some of the best action sequences of all time, like the Yeti attack on covent gardens.

I also really liked Travers daughter. She was smart, brave and useful to the Doctor. Its a shame she wasn't brought back for the Invasion. Had they done that, then she could have been brought back for Pertwee's first season. As much as I like Liz, she might have been better.

(Though Patrick Troughton seemed to fancy her LOL. It obviously wasn't in the script, but you can tell in his performance. They'd have had to have nipped that in the bud on screen.)

6Enemy or Web? Empty Re: Enemy or Web? 15th September 2019, 2:12 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Enemy by a hair. Both are terrific stories, but I tend to prefer the grittier action in Enemy over the atmospheric Web. The one thing that I do have a gripe with Enemy though is that the Doctor himself doesn't have a lot to do in the story, and it's because of the writers trying to balance out Salamander and the Doctor, but the result is that the former has more screen time than the latter.

7Enemy or Web? Empty Re: Enemy or Web? 15th September 2019, 9:54 pm

iank

iank

Web by miles.
Enemy is a borefest that was ludicrously overrated the moment it was found.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

8Enemy or Web? Empty Re: Enemy or Web? 15th September 2019, 10:10 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Enemy, a lot of that is to do with the fact that it's complete. Web is great and has a more dramatic ending. The sets in Web are superb, but I like the change of scenery in Enemy. Also, Enemy has greater characterisation and wonderful ideas that are, at least equal, to anything in Web

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum