Best series 6 story I_vote_lcap0%Best series 6 story I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best series 6 story Empty Best series 6 story 24th August 2019, 7:30 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Which is the best story of series 6? This is certainly a troubled season in terms of featuring a profoundly disappointing and shit story arc (which really marked the end of the Moffat era that was to shortly occur), but there are a few individual episodes here I still really like. And I still prefer this season to any Davies era season, and I certainly prefer it to any of Moffat’s subsequent seasons (not that that says too much).

2Best series 6 story Empty Re: Best series 6 story 24th August 2019, 7:56 am

Ludders

Ludders

The Girl Who Waited.

This is that last New Who episode I ever saw that wasn't a complete turd.
It's not brilliant, but it's a pretty reasonable episode amongst a season of shite.

3Best series 6 story Empty Re: Best series 6 story 24th August 2019, 9:06 am

iank

iank

Bernard Marx wrote:Which is the best story of series 6? This is certainly a troubled season in terms of featuring a profoundly disappointing and shit story arc (which really marked the end of the Moffat era that was to shortly occur), but there are a few individual episodes here I still really like. And I still prefer this season to any Davies era season, and I certainly prefer it to any of Moffat’s subsequent seasons (not that that says too much).

Again, I agree with this.

I went with the opening 2 parter, though I do agree Girl also represented a high watermark that was rarely if ever reached again.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4Best series 6 story Empty Re: Best series 6 story 24th August 2019, 9:16 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

It does disappoint me that Moffat’s era went in the direction it did. I have a personal affection for his first two years (though I acknowledge their flaws), and I find them infinitely preferable to the Davies era, which just seems to become all the more purile, moronic and dated as time goes by. Although I’d say that at its worst, the Davies era pandered to the lowest common denominator within the audience, whereas Moffat’s era at its worst insulted every possible corner of the audience through basically gutting the very DNA of Doctor Who (as I go over in my Death In Heaven rant).

5Best series 6 story Empty Re: Best series 6 story 24th August 2019, 10:30 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I went with Girl Who Waited.

I too wanted to believe Moffat would be the show's saviour after the crap of RTD. For much of Series 5 I felt he genuinely had been. The thing is, whilst I didn't entirely get the season arc for the first half of Series 6, I was still intrigued and had faith Moffat would prove to know what he's doing with it.

I didn't like the fact River was revealed as Amy and Rory's daughter, but otherwise A Good Man Goes To War did leave me eager for what was to follow next.

And then Let's Kill Hitler just left me utterly mortified.

It's strange because I never expected Moffat to write something so awful and soulless as that, and yet paradoxically at the same time the story was utterly, unmistakably Moffat all over. The worst of his indulgences, gimmicks and smug personality.

I felt incredibly emotionally cheated and whiplashed. And from that point on I just didn't care anymore, barring a few Series 7 episodes. After all Moffat and his characters seemingly didn't.

The problem I think is partly marketing group influence telling him he has to stop a big dark epic arc to do some silly pandering to the kids, soap viewers and shippers, and neuter any feelings of family trauma or devastation.

But it's also that the showrunner position gives Moffat (like RTD) too much of a chance to force too much of his personality into the show without moderation, and so the show becomes arrogant, smug and insufferable, and even borderline sociopathic.

6Best series 6 story Empty Re: Best series 6 story 24th August 2019, 11:24 am

stengos

stengos

The Impossible Astronaut / Th Day of the Moon.

7Best series 6 story Empty Re: Best series 6 story 24th August 2019, 12:13 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Either The Doctor's Wife or The Girl Who Waited. Series 6 was a Series that I used to actively hate, in fact before Series 11, it was my least favourite NewWho Series, next to Series 8. But on upon further watching, I actually feel less hateful towards it. Don't get me wrong, the main story arc is complete shite, and there is some bad individual stories like Closing Time or Curse of the Black Spot, but the other individual episodes are great, almost as great as Series 4 or 5's episodes. I have found a new appreciation of stories like the Doppleganger two-parter, Night Terrors and The God Complex.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum