You are not connected. Please login or register

What are some of your Favourite Stories in Fiction?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

What stories did you love the most? It can be in any format of media, like TV, Movies, Games, Books or Audios.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Tripods trilogy by John Christopher. Three teenagers embark on an incredible journey across Europe to find the resistance movement against an alien race that has enslaved humanity by using a device to control the brain. After a long and strenuous journey that takes them through the ruins of Paris to the Alps, they finally find the freemen. In the second book, the freedom fighters send a select group of elite athletes to infiltrate the Tripods city in order to discover the weaknesses of their oppressors.

It's a classic tale really. I really recommend the books and the BBC television show.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Big Finish's Dalek Empire spin-off I think tells a beautiful tale of human resilience and sacrifice in the face of hopeless odds.
The original cast Star Trek movies (specifically the trilogy from II-IV) I think tell a beautiful tale too of survival against the odds.
The first season of Rick & Morty I think stands alone as a great concoction and love letter to sci-fi.
The first two Red Dwarf novels I think honed the poignance of the TV show perfectly.
The original prime years of Doctor Who from An Unearthly Child to City of Death I would say tells a beautiful story too.
Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds musical I find the most heartrending telling of H.G. Wells' story.
The first two Terminator movies have a powerful story and universe I could get lost in for years too.

stengos

stengos

I agree with several of Tanmann's choices - Dalek Empire, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, the Terminator films (I and II).

Fleming's Bond Novels - at least as far as Goldfinger which is as far as i have got with them. I find them a compelling, enjoyable read. Side by side with these i like the radio 4 dramatisations of the novels with Toby Stephens taking on the role of Mr Bond. Produced by Martin Jarvis they have so far adapted about 6 of the stories. They stick closely to the books themselves.

The BBC radio 4 dramatisation of Lord of the Rings (c. 1981). It really is atmospheric and very well acted. Ian Holme is Frodo, John Le Mesurier is Bilbo and Michal Hordern is Gandalf.

The BBC radio 4 dramatisation of the James Follet story Earthsearch. This is about 4 people on an intergalactic space ship trying to find their way back to their home planet.

Some of the HG Wells books - The Sleeper Awakes, War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man and the Time Machine. I am hoping the forthcoming BBC dramatisation of War of the Worlds will be faithful to the book but we will see in due course.

The Quatermass stories. Even 60 odd years since they were made they are still entertaining especially Quatermass and the Pit. I also enjoyed the John Mills one, simply called Quatermass and made around 1979.

Blakes 7. Such a shame Darrow never got to get his reboot off the ground.

The Alien films - especially I to III.

As for Docor Who - anything from the classic series up to and including 1989.

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

My favourite stories in fiction:

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3; a thoughtful, provoking piece of storytelling that has the best form of telling themes such as whether we are defined by our genes, nuclear deterrents, free will and whether love can happen on a battlefield.

Bojack Horseman; a beautiful, depressing tale that tought me about the consequences of self-destructive behaviour and trying to take steps forward, without hurting anyone around me, regardless of depression or past traumatic life (I don't have either of these, but the principle still stands). It's definitely emotionally draining, but there are many episodes that managed to get some deep introspection out of me, and shows rarely do that. Better than Rick and Morty when it comes to talking about these themes.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel; Two fantastic shows that is able to masterfully craft stories about transitioning into adulthood (in Angel's case, being an adult), with an excellent balance of superhero action, gothic horror, heartbreaking drama and witty humour. Excellent themes such as 'what makes a meaningful life', 'can you truly be redeemed', and 'can you change life, or does it change you', and episodes like Lie to Me, Amends, Five by Five, The Body, Reprise/Epiphany, Normal Again and Not Fade Away showcase these beautifully.

Steven Universe; Much like Buffy, this is a fantastic coming-of-age story that manages to form a well-crafted world and emotional drive wonderfully. I love nearly all of the characters and episodes such as The Test, On the Run, Earthlings, Storm in the Room and Reunited are simply stunning.

Classic Doctor Who (1963-1977, 1984-2005); obviously my favourite franchise of all time, with fantastic atmosphere, likeable characters and a brilliant sense of imagination and scope that a lot of other shows don't normally accomplish. If I had to choose my favourite eras, then they would certainly be the Hartnell, Pertwee and McGann (books) era, because of the stunning character development for every main characters. Simply marvellous.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Blake's 7. Still one of the most emotionally investing shows I've ever had the pleasure to watch. It wasn't afraid to put its characters through absolute hell.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum