UncleDeadly
Mott1
Boofer
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Worst next Tory PM Empty Worst next Tory PM 24th May 2019, 4:50 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Now Teresa's going who do we most fear the Tories will have as their next scapegoat/leader?

It's a particular horrifying bunch to pick from: Gove, Boris, Truss, Javid, Mordaunt, Brady, Hunt (the H is silent and the preceding letter C is merely invisible)...

2Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 24th May 2019, 5:29 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Boris would be the worst.

Sadly he'd also be the most likely.

3Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 24th May 2019, 8:45 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Any of those names have a fair chance of being a stronger leader than May.

4Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 24th May 2019, 11:44 pm

Boofer

Boofer

I don't want it to be Mourdant for the reason we are alumni. I don't want to see my old school fawn over the stuck-up cow just because she ascended to PM.

My guess is that it's going to be none of the above.

Someone is going to emerge. I get the feeling it'll be someone like a James Cleverly or Tom Tugenhat-type.

Jo Johnson would be a very interesting candidate. He's basically the anti-Boris; he's remain, pro-people's vote, and unencumbered by the type of bumbling, stuttering verbosity and immoral personal life that afflicts his big brother.

5Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 25th May 2019, 5:48 am

stengos

stengos

It seems horrifically self indulgent to me that the governing party has decided to waste time choosing a new leader at a time we are trying to negotiate sthg so fundamental to this country's future.

Plus i am not sure what will change. The deal on offer from the EU is May's withdrawal agreement. That won't change. So the suggestion that, after the leadership election, "any of the above" can go to Brussels and win any significant changes looks wrong to me.

6Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 25th May 2019, 11:13 am

Mott1

Mott1

I agree with stengos about the same issues over Brexit will cause issues and the EU still won't change the agreement; nor will they be threatened with brinkmanship over a no deal. I also agree with Boofer about Jo Johnson: by far the most sensible of the family!

7Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 25th May 2019, 3:45 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

To be fair it's probably too late to undo the damage of May's weak leadership.

Best case scenario is we get a leader that can negotiate us into a slightly better position that will be approved.

Alternatively, we end up on a path to undo Brexit, which has its own problems - both immediately insofar as what is constitutional and passable; and then back into the stay/leave debate.

More likely it won't change anything. May should have resigned years ago.

8Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 25th May 2019, 7:41 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I suppose it depends on your political allegiance (or I suppose how much you're prepared to be ideological or pragmatic about said allegiance).

As someone who hated the Tories and had a vested interest in wanting them to be discredited and voted out, May's incompetence was a bit of a gift for me, and a stronger replacement who might restore the party's reputation from its ruination is kind of the last thing I want.

As for Brexit, I've come to the conclusion that as much as I dislike the EU (about the only diplomat in the EU I have any admiration for and see some hope for working with is Federica Mogherini) and would be all for leaving if we had a parliament competent and co-operative enough to pull it off, the sad truth is we don't, and if we end up remaining after all, it might be the best thing, or at least the lesser of all evils.

Maybe historically, the time's just not right for it now.

9Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 25th May 2019, 9:32 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Well Parliament is evidently amenable to Brexit, there just isn't the necessary consensus as to what 'kind' of Brexit.

Really the purpose of the Prime Minister is to rally their options.
A good Prime Minister would have got that consensus. Theresa May wasn't a good Prime Minister, but as to whether any of the other names would fare much better is yet to be seen - and more importantly it may be too late to make much persuasion.

10Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 29th May 2019, 1:16 am

Boofer

Boofer

Boofer wrote:
My guess is that it's going to be none of the above.

Someone is going to emerge. I get the feeling it'll be someone like a James Cleverly or Tom Tugenhat-type.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48439908

11Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 29th May 2019, 11:17 am

stengos

stengos

Historically I don't think the initial favourite in a Tory leadership contest tends to win.

Thatcher came from nowhere in the mid-seventies to get the crown.

Heseltine was probably the favourite in the late eighties but lost out to John Major.

After the 1997 election the favourite was probably Heseltine again or Ken Clarke but both lost out to Hague.

Anything could happen but i don't think Boris will get it. He is high profile and touted as a favourite but too closely identified with one particular wing of the party so he is divisive. So i would guess the eventual winner will be sbdy less controversial and less well known. As Boofer suggests above.

Last edited by stengos on 31st May 2019, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

12Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 29th May 2019, 9:00 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Boris is going to have to go to court to defend the bus claims. I wonder if the Tories will again not pick the leadership favourite: either that or we could have a prime minister end up behind bars!

13Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 13th June 2019, 6:23 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Well, Johnson didn't have to face court and now he's ahead in the leadership contest. Just so horrendously predictable...

14Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 20th June 2019, 12:05 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Boris is a cunt

15Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 23rd June 2019, 10:48 am

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

Love Boris.

16Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 6th July 2019, 4:21 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Definitely looks like a foregone conclusion now.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/tory-leadership-race-boris-johnson-080418558.html

Still, at least it will never be that evil bitch Priti Patel.

17Worst next Tory PM Empty Re: Worst next Tory PM 6th July 2019, 6:44 pm

stengos

stengos

I was convinced things would not get to this point. I thought the CP was sufficiently divided over Brexit to stop Johnson getting the leadership. What the fuck bought us to this???

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum