You are not connected. Please login or register

Helpful book recommendations

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Helpful book recommendations Empty Helpful book recommendations on Thu 23 May 2019, 10:43 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
The Wellness Syndrome by Carl Cederström and André Spicer.

I started reading this earlier this year, and it really struck a chord with me about my struggle to feel at ease with modern culture. About how and why modern society has become like an almost dystopian happiness cult, fanatically obsessed with the idea of wellness and upbeatness, and how ironically it's left us feeling more stressed and alienated, and made being unhappy and having human moments of complaint even more stigmatized.

It certainly made me think of fandom's New Who cheerleaders and the cult of RTD as I read it. And it made me realize why I'd never been happy or in synch with that happiness culture I'd been trying to chase and be part of, and yet always felt maybe had a chilling heart to it.

Why indeed it's often been hard to judge who to fit in and get along with because it has meant that in our modern hedonistic workplace culture of team-building trips and the like, it's easy to misread people who can seem all indie, fun-loving and easygoing, and yet can turn out to be as ruthlessly petty and authoritarian as any businessman in a suit.

And from reading it, I became more comfortable with who I am, regardless what society wants me to be. So I'd definitely recommend that one.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/22/the-wellness-syndrome-carl-cederstrom-andre-spicer-persuasive-diagnosis

2Helpful book recommendations Empty Re: Helpful book recommendations on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 3:04 am

Ronnie

Ronnie
Interesting.
This sheds some light on what you were saying in our previous debate around depression/suicide.
I don't know if I'll actually find or make the time to read this book, if only because I'm interested in too many things and already have a to read pile that I'm struggling to keep up with; not because it doesn't have enough merit.
But the article itself makes for a good overview, and postulates ideas that are food for thought and discussion.
I'll try to come back to this later, because I certainly agree with some of it; although in general terms; I think that you can take things from any 'ideology', (to use the article's term) and make it work for you as an individual, without necessarily having to buy into the entirety of the said ideology.
This is purely my personal opinion, but if there's anything 'wrong' with 'modern day' approaches to many aspects of life; it's that people seem to have lost their ability to be selective about what works for them. It's almost as if everyone feels the need to conform to this weird kind of tribalism where they have to be completely pro or anti any ideology, instead of just accessing the contents that work for them without worrying which box it came from. If you get my drift.
Having said that, I agree with much in that article and found it very thought provoking.

3Helpful book recommendations Empty Re: Helpful book recommendations on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 3:05 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
@Ronnie wrote:This is purely my personal opinion, but if there's anything 'wrong' with 'modern day' approaches to many aspects of life; it's that people seem to have lost their ability to be selective about what works for them. It's almost as if everyone feels the need to conform to this weird kind of tribalism where they have to be completely pro or anti any ideology, instead of just accessing the contents that work for them without worrying which box it came from. If you get my drift.

Worryingly, yes it does seem to be that way. Like it's the demanded traffic of thought in their particular camps.

Having said that, I agree with much in that article and found it very thought provoking.

Like I said, it struck the strongest chord with my experiences of fandom's cult of Russell. Their almost fanatical contempt for those of the mind to be unhappy with the new show.

4Helpful book recommendations Empty Re: Helpful book recommendations on Thu 24 Oct 2019, 3:11 pm

Indrid Mercury

Indrid Mercury
Sorry to awkwardly resurrect this thread, but I have just started the book and have found it quite a interesting read so far....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum