You are not connected. Please login or register

DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 10 May 2019, 2:09 pm

I'm going to say DC for many reasons.

There's more variety among DC characters. Most of Marvel's most famous characters are mutants, whilst DC has everything from master detectives to greek gods, to aliens, to intergalactic policemen and men from the sea.

I also think DC creates its own world more by giving each hero their own cities like Gotham and Metropolis. Marvel tends to shove its heroes in New York.

DC's characters have better origin stories too. Again a lot of Marvels characters origins are just a guy or woman has some accident with radiation.

I also vastly prefer the DC multiverse format to Marvel's floating timeline. The multiverse allows DC to end their characters stories every few decades, and then reboot them, but the reboot's don't just completely ignore the original as they are still linked. For instance the 30's-40s Batman's daughter ended up crossing over into the 50s-80s Batman's universe and became a recurring character, The Huntress.

Finally Batman is also by far and away my favourite character. IMO he is on a par with a character like Sherlock Holmes and the Doctor (original).

View user profile

2DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 10 May 2019, 7:51 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
I've only watched the movies.


DC movies I like:

Superman (1978)
Superman III (1983)
Supergirl (1984)
Superman Returns (2006)
Batman (1989)
Batman Returns (1992)
Batman Forever (1995
Batman & Robin (1997)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Shadow (1994)

-

Marvel movies I like:

Spider-Man (2002)
Howard the Duck (1986)
Blade (1998)
X-Men (2000)


I prefer DC's superheroes and generally their older movies more than Marvel's stuff. As I said, I can't comment on the comics because I haven't read them.

View user profile

3DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 10 May 2019, 8:54 pm

Always preferred DC.

View user profile

4DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Sat 11 May 2019, 9:19 am

DC have fucked up more times than Marvel but I still prefer their comics, tv shows, and cartoons to anything Marvel puts out other than Spider-Man

View user profile

5DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 17 May 2019, 5:06 pm

I slightly prefer Marvel, if only for the fact that I really love Spider-Man. For me, I always had a personal connection and how he is a small-scale superhero and deals with neighbourhood issues. Much like when I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I can see Peter's step to becoming Spider-Man and balancing his personal life as a metaphor for adulthood and I personally connect with that, being a young adult myself. For me, Spider-Man is up there with the Doctor, or Solid Snake as a personal inspiration for me in terms of who I want to be later in life. That said, I also love DC heroes such as Batman and the Flash as well, so Marvel and DC tends to be a case of apples or oranges, I just love both.

View user profile

6DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 17 May 2019, 5:12 pm

I think I'm DC.

Mainly because I prefer their movies' straightforward earnestness (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) to Marvel's New Whoish snark.

BTW, welcome aboard English Giraffe.

Good to have you here. Very Happy

View user profile

7DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 17 May 2019, 6:24 pm

Plus DC actually don't constantly cancel/relaunch books unless there's a purpose to it.

View user profile

8DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 17 May 2019, 11:01 pm

Welcome Giraffe!

View user profile

9DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Sat 18 May 2019, 12:26 pm

@SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:I slightly prefer Marvel, if only for the fact that I really love Spider-Man. For me, I always had a personal connection and how he is a small-scale superhero and deals with neighbourhood issues. Much like when I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I can see Peter's step to becoming Spider-Man and balancing his personal life as a metaphor for adulthood and I personally connect with that, being a young adult myself. For me, Spider-Man is up there with the Doctor, or Solid Snake as a personal inspiration for me in terms of who I want to be later in life. That said, I also love DC heroes such as Batman and the Flash as well, so Marvel and DC tends to be a case of apples or oranges, I just love both.

Welcome to the Hive Giraffe.

Batman and Spider-Man are my two favourite superheroes too. I love Spider-Man, but I think Batman is the best because he is such a versatile character. You can use him for just about every type of story. He's almost as versatile as The Doctor.

I love the Flash too. Have you seen either of his tv series? They're both great. Eobard Thawne from the recent series is one of the best villains in any series.

I've always made that same point about Buffy and Spider-Man. IMO Buffy is the female Spider-Man and Xena is the female Batman.

Are you a New Who fan out of interest? Don't worry we won't come down on you LOL like Gallifrey Base do to dissenters. Actually I think a lot of us would probably like some more contrary opinions here. For the record in spite of my grumbling I only hate New Who from Peter Capaldi's first series on (though his last series is quite good.) The first 7 years are quite a good adventure series in its own right, but Matt Smith's performance aside, not faithful to Classic Who IMO.

The only reason I ask if you are a New Who fan is I feel the Doctor became more of a Peter Parker/Buffy type of character in the Tennant era. IE younger, more vulnerable, more of a fuck up, more someone the young audience could relate too. It wasn't bad objectively, but again it wasn't the Doctor.

I never saw the Doctor as a role model personally. I always preferred him as an old, distant, mature character. When we first see him, he has already lived a full life (by our standards.) He's been married, had children, had grand children. Sadly his children and wife are clearly dead. (Why else would Susan be in his care? Also on top of that they never meet up with him whenever he goes back to Gallifrey and he always talks about them in the past tense.)

So he's already lived through the worst hardships life has to offer. IMO he is the opposite of Buffy and Spider-Man, very young heroes who don't really know who they are, can't take loss (as none of us can at that age.) etc

The Doctor should never be like them IMO, but sadly I think Russell did just that. I remember Channel Pup saying that in his mind a female Doctor could work, as Buffy was already basically a female Doctor. I don't have anyting against Channel Pup. He's a nice guy, and he does great videos, but he is more of a new who fan, and IMO the fact that he thinks that Buffy and the Doctor are comparable characters shows how RTD changed the Doctor too much.

View user profile

10DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Mon 20 May 2019, 8:02 pm

@burrunjor wrote:
@SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:I slightly prefer Marvel, if only for the fact that I really love Spider-Man. For me, I always had a personal connection and how he is a small-scale superhero and deals with neighbourhood issues. Much like when I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I can see Peter's step to becoming Spider-Man and balancing his personal life as a metaphor for adulthood and I personally connect with that, being a young adult myself. For me, Spider-Man is up there with the Doctor, or Solid Snake as a personal inspiration for me in terms of who I want to be later in life. That said, I also love DC heroes such as Batman and the Flash as well, so Marvel and DC tends to be a case of apples or oranges, I just love both.

Welcome to the Hive Giraffe.

Batman and Spider-Man are my two favourite superheroes too. I love Spider-Man, but I think Batman is the best because he is such a versatile character. You can use him for just about every type of story. He's almost as versatile as The Doctor.

I love the Flash too. Have you seen either of his tv series? They're both great. Eobard Thawne from the recent series is one of the best villains in any series.

I've always made that same point about Buffy and Spider-Man. IMO Buffy is the female Spider-Man and Xena is the female Batman.

Are you a New Who fan out of interest? Don't worry we won't come down on you LOL like Gallifrey Base do to dissenters. Actually I think a lot of us would probably like some more contrary opinions here. For the record in spite of my grumbling I only hate New Who from Peter Capaldi's first series on (though his last series is quite good.) The first 7 years are quite a good adventure series in its own right, but Matt Smith's performance aside, not faithful to Classic Who IMO.

The only reason I ask if you are a New Who fan is I feel the Doctor became more of a Peter Parker/Buffy type of character in the Tennant era. IE younger, more vulnerable, more of a fuck up, more someone the young audience could relate too. It wasn't bad objectively, but again it wasn't the Doctor.

I never saw the Doctor as a role model personally. I always preferred him as an old, distant, mature character. When we first see him, he has already lived a full life (by our standards.) He's been married, had children, had grand children. Sadly his children and wife are clearly dead. (Why else would Susan be in his care? Also on top of that they never meet up with him whenever he goes back to Gallifrey and he always talks about them in the past tense.)

So he's already lived through the worst hardships life has to offer. IMO he is the opposite of Buffy and Spider-Man, very young heroes who don't really know who they are, can't take loss (as none of us can at that age.) etc

The Doctor should never be like them IMO, but sadly I think Russell did just that. I remember Channel Pup saying that in his mind a female Doctor could work, as Buffy was already basically a female Doctor. I don't have anyting against Channel Pup. He's a nice guy, and he does great videos, but he is more of a new who fan, and IMO the fact that he thinks that Buffy and the Doctor are comparable characters shows how RTD changed the Doctor too much.


@burrunjor wrote:
@SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:I slightly prefer Marvel, if only for the fact that I really love Spider-Man. For me, I always had a personal connection and how he is a small-scale superhero and deals with neighbourhood issues. Much like when I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I can see Peter's step to becoming Spider-Man and balancing his personal life as a metaphor for adulthood and I personally connect with that, being a young adult myself. For me, Spider-Man is up there with the Doctor, or Solid Snake as a personal inspiration for me in terms of who I want to be later in life. That said, I also love DC heroes such as Batman and the Flash as well, so Marvel and DC tends to be a case of apples or oranges, I just love both.

Welcome to the Hive Giraffe.

Batman and Spider-Man are my two favourite superheroes too. I love Spider-Man, but I think Batman is the best because he is such a versatile character. You can use him for just about every type of story. He's almost as versatile as The Doctor.

I love the Flash too. Have you seen either of his tv series? They're both great. Eobard Thawne from the recent series is one of the best villains in any series.

I've always made that same point about Buffy and Spider-Man. IMO Buffy is the female Spider-Man and Xena is the female Batman.

Are you a New Who fan out of interest? Don't worry we won't come down on you LOL like Gallifrey Base do to dissenters. Actually I think a lot of us would probably like some more contrary opinions here. For the record in spite of my grumbling I only hate New Who from Peter Capaldi's first series on (though his last series is quite good.) The first 7 years are quite a good adventure series in its own right, but Matt Smith's performance aside, not faithful to Classic Who IMO.

The only reason I ask if you are a New Who fan is I feel the Doctor became more of a Peter Parker/Buffy type of character in the Tennant era. IE younger, more vulnerable, more of a fuck up, more someone the young audience could relate too. It wasn't bad objectively, but again it wasn't the Doctor.

I never saw the Doctor as a role model personally. I always preferred him as an old, distant, mature character. When we first see him, he has already lived a full life (by our standards.) He's been married, had children, had grand children. Sadly his children and wife are clearly dead. (Why else would Susan be in his care? Also on top of that they never meet up with him whenever he goes back to Gallifrey and he always talks about them in the past tense.)

So he's already lived through the worst hardships life has to offer. IMO he is the opposite of Buffy and Spider-Man, very young heroes who don't really know who they are, can't take loss (as none of us can at that age.) etc

The Doctor should never be like them IMO, but sadly I think Russell did just that. I remember Channel Pup saying that in his mind a female Doctor could work, as Buffy was already basically a female Doctor. I don't have anyting against Channel Pup. He's a nice guy, and he does great videos, but he is more of a new who fan, and IMO the fact that he thinks that Buffy and the Doctor are comparable characters shows how RTD changed the Doctor too much.



Like you said, the fact that Batman is so versatile is what makes him a unique character. He is a relatively powerless character, but he still works around dire situations with methodical plans is a trait that I find interesting compared to other superheroes.

I watched the first three seasons of the Flash, and while I enjoyed the first two, I really did not like the third season and I dropped the show shortly after. I tried to watch the fourth season, but because of how much I didn't like the third season, my motivation to watching The Flash again really dropped. The only CW DC show that I have been watching as of late is Legends of Tomorrow, which is pretty great.

I wouldn't say I am a NewWho fan specifically, all 5 of my favourite Doctors are inherently Classic Doctors, and I have a huge love for Jon Pertwee and Paul McGann. But I did start, and grow up on NewWho first before starting with Classic Who, and I do love most of the performances from the actors, even when the scripts are absolute shite. My favourite Series of NewWho tend to be Series 3, 4 and 5. But I do find Classic Who to be superior to NewWho as a whole.

I think that the Classic Doctors being a experienced and cocky, yet mature character is the reason why I find him to be a role model in the first place. The fact that he can be philosophical and willing to be the better man within a group arguing is something that I can admire. I do agree that RTD made him slightly too infallible, but I think the infallibility definitely came from the 5th Doctor, and I personally think that it was worse in that era. But I definitely see where you are coming from in terms of RTD's characterisation of the 10th Doctor.

As for everyone's messages on greeting me, thank you all. I hope to discuss some topics with you all. I won't be able to respond immediately but I'll try and talk as much as I can. And I'm hoping that I sent this correctly, I'm getting used to the forum's features.

View user profile

11DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Tue 21 May 2019, 11:11 am

I watched the first three seasons of the Flash, and while I enjoyed the first two, I really did not like the third season and I dropped the show shortly after. I tried to watch the fourth season, but because of how much I didn't like the third season, my motivation to watching The Flash again really dropped. The only CW DC show that I have been watching as of late is Legends of Tomorrow, which is pretty great.

Legends is great. It has some cringey SJW stuff for sure like the ass kissing Obama (a blood stained war criminal) bit, but it embraces its fun, wacky premise. Captain Cold was still my favourite. If only he'd sayed as a regular he could have been as badass and memorable a character as Avon from Blake's 7, though his end scene was amazing.

Like you said, the fact that Batman is so versatile is what makes him a unique character. He is a relatively powerless character, but he still works around dire situations with methodical plans is a trait that I find interesting compared to other superheroes.

IMO Batman, The Doctor and Xena are the three greatest heroes as you can do more stories with them than other.

Batman as you say has no powers, so he can take on street level threats, and they can still be a threat to him, unlike with say Wonder Woman, Superman and Spider-Man. This can allow Batman to star in more gritty crime stories.

At the same time Batman can take on super powered crooks because of his gadgets and fighting skills like Clayface, Mr Freeze, Ra's Al Ghul, and Manbat.

There are elements of sci fi in Batman's DNA. His gadgets some of his enemies, even his supporting cast like the Huntress, his daughter from another universe are all rooted in sci fi, yet at the same time there are horror elements and supernatural elements like Ra's Al Ghul too.

A lot of other street level heroes can't take on sci fi threats or fantasy threats. Like Daredevil and Green Arrow for instance. Neither have the scientific genius of Batman, and when they tried to bring magic into Arrow it was seen as a total disaster (unlike Batman, where Ra's Al Ghul became one of his biggest enemies.)

Batman can also be used for team ups more than other heroes as again his lack of powers mean that any other heroes villains can be a threat to him, but he can also keep up with other heroes.

Finally Batman also lends himself to comedy and to drama too. His tragic origins can obviously allow him to be used for a serious story, whilst the fact that he is so serious actually makes him a better fit for comedy too. Spider-Man has a sense of humour, so if you put him in a silly situation he'll be aware. This was why Adam West was so hilarious. He still treated all of the ludicrous situations around him 100 percent seriously.

The Doctor meanwhile as we all know can travel to anywhere in his machine, so from a practical point of view he can visit anywhere. Also however the Doctor much like Batman can be both vulnerable and useful whenever he needs to be. The Doctor is very much a Jack of all Trades, Master of none type of character.

His long life and his time machine have meant that he's had time to dabble in and become competent to some extent in just about every area. Fighting, enginering, medicine, cooking etc. However because he is a wanderer then he hasn't mastered any of them so his skills can to some extent fluctuate depending on the story.

Xena meanwhile despite being the most overlooked of the three IMO has as much potential. Like Batman she has no powers and so can take on ordinary humans, but is skilled enough to fight monsters too. Like Batman she lends herself for comedy and drama. She too has a tragic, dark origin story, but she's also deadly serious like Batman, and there are also ridiculous aspects to the character too.

Also the fact that the show never tried to be historically accurate meant that she could visit figures from all over ancient history, from Julius Cesar to Vlad the Impaler. The show also tended to merge characters from various different mythologies together. Christian, Greek, Egyptian, Persian, Hindu, Arthurian, Chinese, Japanese, even Zorro Astrian. Then there is the fact that the character reincarnates which can literally bring her into different times too, meaning there are no shortages of stories you can use her for.


My favourite Series of NewWho tend to be Series 3, 4 and 5.

Those are the best series of New Who. Best stories, best story arcs, best Doctors (Tennant is better with Martha and Donna, and Matt in series 5 is the best of the New Who Doctors by a country mile) and the best companions (apart from Donna, who was tbf good for most of her series, but ruined by a terrible ending.)

Freema is a goddess, whilst Karen Gillan has proven to be a great actress and leading lady. Karen would actually make not a bad Xena. She's got the build, acting chops and genre experience for it.

As for everyone's messages on greeting me, thank you all. I hope to discuss some topics with you all. I won't be able to respond immediately but I'll try and talk as much as I can. And I'm hoping that I sent this correctly, I'm getting used to the forum's features.

Thanks. The Hive went through a bad patch recently but we seem to be back on form now. Look forward to chatting some more.

View user profile

12DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Tue 21 May 2019, 1:13 pm

@burrunjor wrote:The Hive went through a bad patch recently

*whistles innocently*

View user profile

13DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 24 May 2019, 11:09 am

Batman & Robin (1997)

Sorry can't stand that one. Its the Death in Heaven of the Batman franchise.

Only good thing about it was that it led to this genuis parody.

View user profile

14DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 31 May 2019, 1:02 pm

Interesting videos with Stan Lee interviewing Bob Kane the co-creator of Batman.









Its cool that for all the DC/Marvel feud two such important figures in both franchises were friends, but still Bob Kane comes over as a dick in this video. He seems very up himself and arrogant.

Bob Kane is quite a divisive figure these days to say the least. He by all acounts stiffed Bill Finger, the co-creator of Batman. Now in all fairness disputes between writers and artists are common when it comes to the creation of certain characters. Look at Stan Lee's relationship with his artists and Terry Nation and Raymond Cusick.

However what's worse in this instance is that it looks like Bill Finger did most of the work. Stan Lee created the characters and the concepts at least, and the artists fleshed them out. He was happy to always credit them with desigining the characters and making them the icons they were, he just felt that they didn't create them, arguing that if it were a novel no one would say the illustrator co-created the character.

Same with Nation, he said that whilst Cusick was responsible for making them successful, the idea for the Daleks was all his (also Nation in all fairness created their planet, their creator Davros, their motivation, their catchphrase, and at least steered the look of their design with the long shaft on the eye, mechanical grip hands, the fact that they have no legs, the voices being electronic etc.)

Bob Kane however it seems just came up with the name Batman. That literally is it. Gotham city, the origin, the costume, the gadgets, the batmobile, the identity of Bruce Wayne were ALL Bill Finger. According to some accounts Bob may have had a hand in creating some of the villains, but even then Bill Finger probably played a greater role in their creation.

Here some damning articles about Bob Kane. To be fair these articles seem like they were written by people who hate him, and do leave out some of his contributions, but overall its hard not to dislike the guy. Just look at what he has written on his tombstone. FFS.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=22&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwigt5W13MXiAhVE8uAKHf7uCtUQFjAVegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cracked.com%2Fpersonal-experiences-1700-5-ways-batmans-true-creator-got-screwed-out-his-legacy.html&usg=AOvVaw2RVnxpJ2IXgCToCT6gULZw

View user profile

15DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Fri 31 May 2019, 11:09 pm

I'm more of a 2000ad man.

View user profile

16DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 3:24 pm

@burrunjor wrote:

Here some damning articles about Bob Kane. To be fair these articles seem like they were written by people who hate him, and do leave out some of his contributions, but overall its hard not to dislike the guy. Just look at what he has written on his tombstone. FFS.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=22&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwigt5W13MXiAhVE8uAKHf7uCtUQFjAVegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cracked.com%2Fpersonal-experiences-1700-5-ways-batmans-true-creator-got-screwed-out-his-legacy.html&usg=AOvVaw2RVnxpJ2IXgCToCT6gULZw

That tombstone is a tad OTT. I wonder if he wrote it and left insructions for it to be engraved on or his surviving family did it all. Either way it strikes me it was his or his families way of laying a final, lasting claim to being the creator of Batman. The feint hearted would probably be deterred from disputing what is on Kaine's grave.

As i think you or the article you linked to said - very "up himself".

Thanks for posting. I was not aware of any of this before.

View user profile

17DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? Empty Re: DC vs Marvel: Who do you prefer? on Sat 01 Jun 2019, 4:18 pm

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum