The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

What are your opinions on Doctor Who being political?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

So many SJWs like Richard H Cooper and Mr ReTardis go on about how Doctor Who has always been political so its perfectly okay for Jodie's series to be.

They have a tiny bit of a point that there have been political aspects to Doctor Who before but once again this is an example of their simplistic one size fits all way of thinking.

Doctor Who changed in some ways before so that means that ALL changes to the show are good, there were some political aspects to Doctor Who before so that means ALL political stories are good. They never want to take things on a case by case basis because then people would see how stupid their arguments are.

IMO its best if most of the time you don't bring politics into DW. Its not a political show. Its a show about an alien travelling through time and space. Its designed for adventure and sci fi stories. Also as a character the Doctor is kind of a-political by nature.

He's an outsider who never stays in one place too long, is a bohemian wanderer who doesn't have real worries, lives life by his own rules, and tends to look down on wars and conflicts as petty squabbles. There's no way he can really fit into any political ideology that we know of.

However that said I think that politics can be brought into the show, but it has to be done in a fairly careful way.

To start with I think its better to use politics as a metaphor. That way your story can still hold up as a story in its own right.

Like the Peladon stories for instance. Obvious metaphors for the EU, but they can be taken as stories about monsters, martians and space priests.  

Also if you are going to comment on a modern divisive issue try and at least be a bit impartial. Again like the Peladon stories. Yes they tend to lean on the you should join the EU side of the debate, but they at least DO show some negative consequences of that in Monster of Peladon, address people's concerns with the EU, and portray the remainer character Ortron as sympathetic.

He dies a heroes death against the Ice Warriors and many of his concerns are justified. Yes okay he is barbaric in some respects, but only because EVERYBODY on Peladon is LOL. Its not like he's made worse than the others.

I don't think you should ever contain references to modern day leaders or figures or political situations as that will ultimately end up dating the show. Imagine if Jon Pertwee had ranted about how "THIS IS JUST LIKE THOSE BASTARDS WHO DON'T WANT US TO JOIN THE EU" Or imagine if William Hartnell had ranted about President Johnson. Think of how dated that would look?

Now New Who has always been a bit more clumsy with its politics and indeed its references to modern culture in general. Like the Anne Droid. Look how dated that is just 10 years on? Ironically its far more dated than a Hartnell era story like the Daleks, or the Ark.

Still its definitely gotten worse in Jodie's time. In Jodie's time to start with the stories are made secondary to the politics. This isn't like the Peladon stories where Brian Hayles uses the EU as inspiration for what is ultimately a fantasy  story set on a far away planet.

In Jodie's era the story is a poorly thought out afterthought like in Rosa. Its an excuse just to have Yaz, Ryan and the Doctor go on big sanctimonious speechs to the audience.

Also Jodie and the Capaldi era actually DO have references to things like Trump and current attitudes towards Islam in the UK, all of which will date it. For all we know Trump could be a one term President. Who will care about him in possibly 5 years?

Also they don't even try and be impartial. They have Yaz go on about how Barack Obama was a step forward. Eh not all of us agree with that.

I think Obama was a rotten President (to be fair most of them are.) Him being black made no fucking difference whatsoever. He was a war monger, destroyed the country of Libya, (which gave rise to Islamic extremism, terror attacks around the world and a refugee crisis, which has been exploited by greedy politicians like Merkel and in turn has led to chaos in Europe and possibly the end of the EU!) He was also the drone king, deported more people than the Donald, and ironically under his time the quality of life for black people decreased greatly as did relations between black and white people.

I actually find it objectionable when people STILL say Obama was a step forward just because he was black. This stupid need for representation is a way to dupe people into thinking you're left wing and progressive when you're not.

Also Yaz going on about how hard it is for her being a Muslim woman coming home from the mosque is one sided and going to seriously provoke people. Again no one is saying that there aren't people who will just attack any Muslim they see, but to try and present it as being comparable to Rosa Parks is offensive.

Islam is an ideology, it HAS caused problems in the UK, and is responsible for spreading prejudice against various groups of people throughout the world. To not present that side of the argument is ignorant and inflammatory.

Also finally a lot of the politics that the revival has pushed recently are ironically bigoted and offensive. Having characters say that everything always works out for white people, that its better if the future is all girl, etc.

They really think that white male viewers (which for a sci fi show produced in a predominantly white country are still the majority) are not going to be more offended over that than Jon Pertwee saying pollution is bad after fighting giant maggots?

Whilst its true to say that Doctor Who has been political before, to even pretend that the Green Death is the same as Rosa is ludicrous, but yet another example of the likes of Paul Cornell and Richard H Cooper's one size fits all way of thinking.

View user profile
It's a strawman. There's a world of difference between telling a separate story that may have a metaphor to the world that many viewers may not even get - and bashing them over the head with modern day fascist identity politics horseshit.
But I suspect these people are well aware of that, and are just being disengenous cunts, like most supporters of this embarrassment.

View user profile
@iank wrote:It's a strawman. There's a world of difference between telling a separate story that may have a metaphor to the world that many viewers may not even get - and bashing them over the head with modern day fascist identity politics horseshit.

Exactly this.

@iank wrote:But I suspect these people are well aware of that, and are just being disengenous cunts, like most supporters of this embarrassment.

Exactly this.

Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks got it down to a fine art due to being professionals. One can only conclude the dismal failings of the female spinoff (and the final cancerous Moffatized Who) are due to a dropping of the standards in their "craft" and the general malaise of television.

Dicks: "don't sell your audience out for a pot of message."

God bless him he was really on to something.

View user profile
It's the lack of subtlty that really gets to me. Maybe if it preached political values that I hold, such as the evils of Americanisation and American culture,, I'd care less.

View user profile
One central thing that is entirely missing is the insouciant somewhat eccentric Britain-first lib dem craziness that ran through the show from 1968 to 2009. A world where Britain was a first world power with a space programme, but was also a lib dem ruled neutral country that hosted endless peace conferences. Smile

View user profile
@Genkimonk wrote:It's the lack of subtlty that really gets to me. Maybe if it preached political values that I hold, such as the evils of Americanisation and American culture,, I'd care less.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum