Best Doctor Who era? I_vote_lcap0%Best Doctor Who era? I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Best Doctor Who era? I_vote_lcap50%Best Doctor Who era? I_vote_rcap 50% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best Doctor Who era? Empty Best Doctor Who era? 17th November 2018, 9:41 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Hard choice but I eventually settled on the GOLDEN McCoy years.

2Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 17th November 2018, 10:10 pm

iank

iank

lols
Clearly Tom was the peak in every sense, but Hartnell and Sylv are both up there for me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

3Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 17th November 2018, 10:41 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

ˈfʌkɪŋ seven. SEVEN. 21 and three. Fucking, siete. Sieben, 七, setti, sept. FUCK OFF that which does not corrospond to the three and four. Tres y quatro. Behold, a great red 일곱. Septem ... to pierce? Non, I wouldn't mutilate my body but fuck it, it's seven. It remind me of that unstable black flickering numero oh' above the sky. Believe in high, holy ἑπτά. It's prime, baby. ೭, ๗, זT ZAYIN.
 I cannot comprehend which register in which I now speak.  thirteen for four. ז.ז. 78 ሰብዐቱ saith.
Zejwa, zejya.
Admire - syemy. Bow هَفت‎‎ هَفت‎‎ هَفت‎‎ هَفت‎‎ هَفت‎‎ هَفت‎‎ هَفت‎‎ .

4Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 17th November 2018, 10:47 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

iank wrote:lols
Clearly Tom was the peak in every sense, but Hartnell and Sylv are both up there for me.

I'd probably rank the Williams era as my second favourite period. Never liked Hinchcliffe's era that much. I agree that Talons, Seeds, Zygons and Genesis are worthy of their reputation, but I've never understood why Ark, Morbius and Pyramids get so much praise. I'd rather watch Pirate Planet or Invasion of Time over any of those. I also have a great deal of affection for the Troughton years.

5Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 17th November 2018, 10:55 pm

iank

iank

Oh I adore the Williams era. Season 14 is fantastic though, and 13 is pretty good. It's 12 I find most overrated.

6Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 17th November 2018, 11:33 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Commander Maxil wrote:
iank wrote:lols

I'd probably rank the Williams era as my second favourite period. Never liked Hinchcliffe's era that much. I agree that Talons, Seeds, Zygons and Genesis are worthy of their reputation, but I've never understood why Ark, Morbius and Pyramids get so much praise. I'd rather watch Pirate Planet or Invasion of Time over any of those. I also have a great deal of affection for the Troughton years.

You are clearly insane.

But I'll let you off. It's endemic here.

7Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 24th November 2018, 4:28 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

Insanity may be endemic here but it's a model of rationality compared to the absurd stupidity of SJW 'Who' these days!

Anyway, greetings Hivers - here's a first post...

This old (very much old school) Who fan certainly agrees with many views expressed in The Hive so it's good to post here.

My preferred era of Who is actually the entirety of the first four Docs' years. But if I had to single out just one era, I think it'd be Pertwee's for sheer consistency of good quality. That's not to say I don't like the 80s Docs - I enjoy many of their stories but, after Tom's era, Who seems to me only occasionally successful in recapturing the glory of earlier years.

And as for the abomination 'New Who' turned out to be, I remember some one once saying something I'd like to reiterate : it didn't so much revive the series as desecrate it's corpse!

8Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 24th November 2018, 5:37 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

BillPatJonTom wrote:Insanity may be endemic here but it's a model of rationality compared to the absurd stupidity of SJW 'Who' these days!

Anyway, greetings Hivers - here's a first post...

This old (very much old school) Who fan certainly agrees with many views expressed in The Hive so it's good to post here.

My preferred era of Who is actually the entirety of the first four Docs' years. But if I had to single out just one era, I think it'd be Pertwee's for sheer consistency of good quality. That's not to say I don't like the 80s Docs - I enjoy many of their stories but, after Tom's era, Who seems to me only occasionally successful in recapturing the glory of earlier years.

And as for the abomination 'New Who' turned out to be, I remember some one once saying something I'd like to reiterate : it didn't so much revive the series as desecrate it's corpse!

Welcome to the Hive. I think the 80s held up apart from seasons 23 and 24.

Trial of a Time Lord is not bad overall, but its a bit of a mess in places which is worse as it takes up Colin's entire second season meaning that he only really has one proper season as the Doctor.

Season 24 meanwhile had too many behind the scenes problems, with rushed scripts, an actor who didn't know what he wanted at that point, and Michael Grade forcing them to make it silly to get round Mary Whitehouse's "its too violent" criticisms.

Other than those two seasons I'd say every season of Classic Who is great. Most seasons have at least one, though usually two or three classics, and one dud (though most have no duds at all.)

Jon is my favourite Doctor too, though Tom and Bill are next in line.

I was wondering are there any of the new who doctors you like? One thing I've noticed is that Matt Smith generally tends to be the most popular round these parts.

Not saying his Doctor had no problems (River Song for one) but he generally tended to have a better grasp on the role than the other 4.

9Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 24th November 2018, 7:41 pm

bryanbraddock

bryanbraddock

It's hard to argue against the Best being Seasons 12-14.
Hinchcliffe,Holmes,Baker,Sladen,Marter,Jameson.
A near perfect run of 17 great stories.

Season 25 & 26, the Cartmel McCoy,Aldred era comes second though.

10Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 24th November 2018, 7:55 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

burrunjor wrote:

Season 24 meanwhile had too many behind the scenes problems, with rushed scripts, an actor who didn't know what he wanted at that point, and Michael Grade forcing them to make it silly to get round Mary Whitehouse's "its too violent" criticisms.

At least Cartmel made sure the scripts were unique and innovative. Paradise Towers and Delta and the Bannermen are both dripping with freshness and imagination. I simply do not understand why Season 23 is considered better than Season 24 when the latter is superior in every conceivable way.

11Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 24th November 2018, 8:31 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

[I was wondering are there any of the new who doctors you like? One thing I've noticed is that Matt Smith generally tends to be the most popular round these parts.

Not saying his Doctor had no problems (River Song for one) but he generally tended to have a better grasp on the role than the other 4.[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome...

Well, I thought the first four Doctors all had distinct personalities and stamped their personalities on the character. In this respect their eras were all successful in their own right.

I just didn't find Davison's Doctor to be of the same strength as that of his predecessors - except ironically perhaps in his very last story. I'd even suggest Davison was perhaps the first 'miscast' Doctor and crucially neither of his successors Colin Baker nor Sylvester McCoy were granted fair treatment by the BBC who failed to support their show after the hiatus. Still there was some stuff I liked during this time but it was more hit and miss for me than any previous era. Yes, Michael Grade certainly had a malign hand in this of course.

After classic Who ended, it was mainly missed opportunities or short sighted decisions. The McGann adventure was by no means a disaster at least in terms of being a regeneration story for a new Doctor (something of an improvement on such regeneration stories as Castrovalva, Twin Dilemma or Time and the Rani) but it could only have succeeded with a full series rather than just a solitary adventure. I think he was more suited to the role than Christopher Eccleston who of course had the benefit of starring in a full series but by then Russell T Davies had begun the dumbing down process of 'New Who'. I could never find David Tennant's mockney gurning, constantly mooning over Billie Piper, to be remotely credible - just how the hell was this supposed to be the same character from the classic series?

Regarding New Who Doctors, I'd say Matt Smith came closest to resembling any classic series Doctors. Although perhaps too young for the role, he actually managed to overcome this with a touch of the (genuine) eccentricity and alien traits of the classic character. In the old series, this might have worked but sadly he was hobbled by some dreadful scripts.

I felt like giving up on Moffat's Who by the time we got subjected to episodes such as James Corden and the power of 'lurve' defeating the Cybermen. An appalling lack of respect was shown to the classic era too as Moffat seemed to be 'rewriting' its lore. When Capaldi was cast, an older Doctor with some gravitas might have offered hope but it was thwarted by ever more pathetic scripts (the moon's an egg?) and alarmingly an ever more dogmatic political agenda until eventually I stopped watching altogether.

12Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 24th November 2018, 9:03 pm

iank

iank

Commander Maxil wrote:
burrunjor wrote:

At least Cartmel made sure the scripts were unique and innovative. Paradise Towers and Delta and the Bannermen are both dripping with freshness and imagination. I simply do not understand why Season 23 is considered better than Season 24 when the latter is superior in every conceivable way.

Completely agree with this. I find Trial completely unwatchable these days.

Welcome BillPatJonTom. Fresh blood for The Hive. Our forces must grow! Big Grin

13Best Doctor Who era? Empty Re: Best Doctor Who era? 5th January 2019, 10:29 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Jon Pertwee (all)
Hinchcliffe (all)

But I actually like everything from War Games to Survival, more or less.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum