Arthur Stengos
Jonzu77
43 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 36 ... 42  Next

Go down  Message [Page 30 of 42]

726Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 30th January 2019, 2:11 pm

Zarius

Zarius

The new season has now launched in China, here's some of the BBC posters made to celebrate the occasion

Series 11 - Page 30 DpzJCQNXgAILupa

Series 11 - Page 30 Dcdd3d73307143.5c057bf9e0905

Series 11 - Page 30 Tumblr_php9ecvqCy1sekp6wo2_r1_1280-768x768

727Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 30th January 2019, 3:31 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

Zarius wrote:The new season has now launched in China, here's some of the BBC posters made to celebrate the occasion

Oh dear. Looks like offensive cultural appropriation to me...

728Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 30th January 2019, 5:50 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Mandip and Tosin pick their favourite episodes from Series 11:

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1080163/Doctor-who-mandip-gill-tosin-cole-favourite-episodes-season-11-bbc-review

“I would have to say Rosa and Demons of the Punjab because the storylines were related to me!” Gill said.

Rolling Eyes

729Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 30th January 2019, 7:01 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Some good points raised here. IMO the problem with New Who is that it is ironically made by the same type of people who would have turned down the original series if they'd been working at the BBC back in the 60s.

It reminds me of the story Jon Pertwee used to tell about how his pitch for Worzel Gummidge was rejected twice before he finally got it made.  

Pertwee said that when he handed the BBC and ITV the pilot script for Worzel they rejected it because they said audiences "won't go for all that magic, its too fantastic and weird." Pertwee apparently said to them "I think they will, I think people are fed up of the kitchen sink."

Of course Pertwee ended up being completely right. I personally don't really care about Worzel Gummidge, but objectively he was right to think he was onto a winner, as it ended up getting 6 seasons, was a big ratings hit around the globe, and is still fondly remembered as a children's classic and is even being remade!

Sadly the likes of RTD and Moffat and Chibnall have a similar mind set to the ones who turned Worzel down. They think that audiences are too stupid and pedestrian and wouldn't go for all that sci fi, fantasy and horror, so they water it down in every way to being the Kitchen sink.

They reduce the horror content, the adventure, the sci fi concepts, and focus on the companions home life, the romance with the Doctor and the companion, and turn the Doctor into a boring, conventional, more human hero.

The same also applies to the JJ Abrams Star Trek. Again it waters down the sci fi concepts and the more thoughtful nature of the original Star Trek and turns it into a bland, boring, generic action franchise.

Its a real shame, but it does show what a bad state the industry is in these days. Whilst sci fi and fantasy have always been niche to some extent, occasionally you would get the odd people who were willing to take risks, which is why you would get weird fantastical things like Star Trek, Doctor Who, and even Worzel Gummidge.

Nowadays however there is seemingly no one who is willing to take that risk, which is why the likes of DW and Star Trek can't be made today.

Incidentally here is the vid where Jon Pertwee talks about the problems getting Worzel made. I'd recommend this docu. Its a great insight into Pertwee's career from the man himself.

Can you imagine what Jon Pertwee would have made of Missy and Jodie. I shudder to think what he would have said. TBH though I reckon he'd have hated all of New Who.

730Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 30th January 2019, 8:04 pm

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

What is going on with Doctor Who (and Trek and so on) is that the makers are hell bent on pushing their agenda wheelbarrow. The rest, what should be central to the show or the show's "point" (adventures in time and space going literally anywhere or anywhen as well as dipping into the fantastical and surreal) is instead a barely tolerated intrusion that interrupts the preaching and propagandising.

There's no real love for the genre or the tropes. It came through with RTD when he referred, rather dismissively I thought, to anything from science fiction or fantasy as "bonkers" with no further engagement. RTD and to a lesser extent Moffat are skillful adapters of other people's better ideas, able to translate a science fiction or fantasy story into a television drama, in a technical sense. However they leave out the heart and soul in favour of pablum, propaganda and cartoon characters. This changes everything, before one even gets to the content itself.

731Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 30th January 2019, 8:05 pm

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Zarius wrote:The new season has now launched in China, here's some of the BBC posters made to celebrate the occasion

Those pictures are gagging to have Magnus Greel and his time cabinet shopped in.

What an odd approach to take in a major market.

732Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 1st February 2019, 9:39 am

Zarius

Zarius

733Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 1st February 2019, 12:37 pm

Zarius

Zarius

I've been avoiding him for weeks, but because I made the mistake of visiting Ace Creeper's channel, I got a video recommendation for Doc Freedom's horseshit. I made a couple of observations

-He starts off the video saying that fans with vast knowledge of sci-fi have seen "far worse" in their lifetimes, and points to the second seasons of Buck Rogers and Space 1999. That's right, his argument now is that garbage shows from the 2010s are better than niche shows of the 1970s that a lot of the current generation of DW critics have either put out of their minds or have never seen.

-He repeats his same tired spiel about things needing to change or they become stagnant...erm, Doc, I hate to break it to you, but in addition to you being a control freak who can't take hard criticism and tow the company line, the other reason I stopped paying attention to the channel is because you don't change with the times, you don't add anything new, you repeat the same catchphrases, etc, and are just as stagnant as you claim the show would be if it didn't do different things. You've been a chore to watch since losing your mask.

734Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 1st February 2019, 4:25 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

A review I found on Google:

"It is becoming more poignant than any of the previous Doctors, mixing the fantastic , the mysterious with the everyday and now not afraid to show the worst of humanity whilst providing hope for them. Like the Doctor the companions are also growing into their changed lives and at an amazingly brisk pace.

Moving with the times and not wallowing in the past like some would have us do, those who forget Dr Who has always been primarily about change, throughout history, how we adapt and accept it, will be dissapointed and wish it had stagnated , maybe a reflection of their life view!

Those of us who understand that life, time and circumstances change and evolve will find it fresh and thought provoking maybe even occasionally provide insight with lessons from history that we can learn from or aspire to."

I just don't know what to say anymore.

735Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 1st February 2019, 4:47 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Commander Maxil wrote:I just don't know what to say anymore.

I've got two words for you: paid shill. Make no mistake, they exist. Reddit is positively crawling with them. Pay attention long enough, and you'll start to see the same users seemingly patrolling both subs 24/7, endlessly posting and reposting the same tired, clichéd nonsense day after day that's already been thoroughly debunked hundreds of times. It's the old "lie repeated often enough..." strategy in action.

See also the massive blocks of blank five-star reviews on Rotten Tomatoes by obvious sockpuppet accounts created so hastily that the shill neglected to notice that they all had the same fucking name.

If the BBC are bothering with those places, you can bet they're at it on Google too.

736Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 2nd February 2019, 7:17 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

ClockworkOcean wrote:
Commander Maxil wrote:I just don't know what to say anymore.

I've got two words for you: paid shill. Make no mistake, they exist. Reddit is positively crawling with them. Pay attention long enough, and you'll start to see the same users seemingly patrolling both subs 24/7, endlessly posting and reposting the same tired, clichéd nonsense day after day that's already been thoroughly debunked hundreds of times. It's the old "lie repeated often enough..." strategy in action.

See also the massive blocks of blank five-star reviews on Rotten Tomatoes by obvious sockpuppet accounts created so hastily that the shill neglected to notice that they all had the same fucking name.

If the BBC are bothering with those places, you can bet they're at it on Google too.

Absolutely definitely true.

Most people who followed the Mundane Matt bullshit totally seem to fail to see that he was a paid influencer. Paid. By a Google front company which ultimately led to Disney -and the CIA, believe it or not.

There are a swarm of these influencers, modelled on the more live action Stasi version from East Germany. Not just a spy in ever building and on every street corner but the permeating of society - and online society - by informers, influencers and strategically placed sleeper agents.

Doctor Who 'fandom' is just one more example of the They Live style live action control system. We're being kept as docile and distracted as possible while the architects of change work as invisibly as they can manage to be.

737Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 2nd February 2019, 5:58 pm

Rick Deckard 2.0

Rick Deckard 2.0

UncleDeadly wrote:
TheTimeTraveller wrote:
Boofer wrote:We are the hipster elite. We hated it before it was cool to hate it.

All these fly-by-night charlatans with their huge toy collections and pithy comments! Where were they when the burping bin appeared, aliens farted, and Jackie Tyler made a jizz joke?

Fucking nowhere, that's where they were.

Its been straws on a camel's back and a side effect of the young audience RTD successfully captured. They grew up with the 2005 series and didn't even realise that the part of it they loved the most was for the most part held over from the original series. As more and more of the agenda (and yes we now know there really WAS a homo / feminazi agenda all along) emerged, the audience began to melt away. But as with any Americanised fandom subculture, clingy people are slow to drop a favourite, even when its divergence from what they liked about it has caused cognitive dissonance.

Now we're at the 1945 in the bunker in Berlin stage of Doctor Who there will be an avalanche of "good Germans" turning on what was once their most favourite thing in the world.

More power to them, all allies welcome to put this piece of shit down like the mad dog it is.

What a fucking mess. Is it really SO hard to make a half decent science fiction adventure series?

738Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 2nd February 2019, 7:07 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Freedom made the mistake of not crediting Swift's classic who work. I called him an uninformed cretin, which he'll probably delete

739Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 8th February 2019, 5:44 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Latest spin on GB re ratings disaster: Resolution is the only festive special that didn't make it into top 10 for the week because four episodes of widely ignored boomer fodder Luther were on in the same week. And here's why that's a good thing!

Beyond parody at this point.

Series 11 was top notch, bigot. Which is why Who is off air for a year and a half.

Makes sense.

740Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 9th February 2019, 8:28 pm

Zarius

Zarius

The show picks up an award from some new fangled honours list. A "literally who" if ever there was one.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a26264844/doctor-who-episodes-rosa-parks-special-award-jody-whittaker/

741Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 9th February 2019, 9:47 pm

Mott1

Mott1

The news of the above award did get picked up by the national press, but from what I've seen (The Sun, print version) they couldn't even be interested enough to give any of the details.

I suppose the lengthy hiatus will give even more time for self-congratulation, about the only thing the show excels at now...

742Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 9th February 2019, 11:13 pm

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

it was never not going to get some sort of Stalinist prize for the god awful Rosa outing.

743Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 11th February 2019, 4:36 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

744Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 11th February 2019, 5:24 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Disappointing. I wouldn't have expected Tennant to be impartial given his personal friendship with Whittaker, but silence would have been the classier approach.

I loved Tom Baker's strategy of changing the subject to his own Big Finish work when asked about the future of Doctor Who in the recent Scratchman interview. More evidence, if any was needed, that shoehorning Jodie into the novel wasn't his idea.

745Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 11th February 2019, 5:34 pm

Zarius

Zarius

The BBC are reviving the Demon Headmaster. I remember the books and television had a strong female character leading the charge against his nefarious schemes with the SPLAT team. I always imagined Tracey Beaker's Dani Baher being a potential fit for that role. She's much too old for it now...not unless this revival isn't a reboot and stars the original actor, in which case they could afford an older actress.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a26283882/the-demon-headmaster-revival-back-reboot-cbbc-crackerjack/

746Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 11th February 2019, 5:36 pm

Zarius

Zarius

"The acting bit is what you go to drama school for

747Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 11th February 2019, 8:04 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Zarius wrote:The BBC are reviving the Demon Headmaster.
... and will almost certainly find some way of destroying its legacy with their signature blend of intolerable banality and hateful ideology.

749Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 11th February 2019, 9:24 pm

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

ClockworkOcean wrote:Disappointing. I wouldn't have expected Tennant to be impartial given his personal friendship with Whittaker, but silence would have been the classier approach.

I loved Tom Baker's strategy of changing the subject to his own Big Finish work when asked about the future of Doctor Who in the recent Scratchman interview. More evidence, if any was needed, that shoehorning Jodie into the novel wasn't his idea.

Wait, is the female spinoff in Scratchman? For real? If so, what a shame. Won't be buying it.

750Series 11 - Page 30 Empty Re: Series 11 11th February 2019, 9:27 pm

iank

iank

Tennant was the "life long fan" who saw nothing out of character in the Doctor falling in lurve with a bucktoothed teenage shopgirl.
Yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 30 of 42]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 36 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum