You are not connected. Please login or register

William Hartnell Appreciation Thread

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1William Hartnell Appreciation Thread Empty William Hartnell Appreciation Thread on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 11:07 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor
Been rewatching a lot of William Hartnell recently and his performance still holds up so wonderfully. Its amazing how he established so much of the Doctors character.

He really doesn't get the credit he deserves IMO.

2William Hartnell Appreciation Thread Empty Re: William Hartnell Appreciation Thread on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 11:45 pm

iank

iank
The Governor!
The original and still one of the very best. None of the New Poo Doctors hold a candle to him.

3William Hartnell Appreciation Thread Empty Re: William Hartnell Appreciation Thread on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 8:42 am

burrunjor

burrunjor
@iank wrote:The Governor!
The original and still one of the very best. None of the New Poo Doctors hold a candle to him.

The thing that I hate the most about New Who is the way that they have destroyed Hartnell's legacy as an actor.

This whole "the Doctor can be anyone" crap is the biggest insult to Hartnell.

He set down the template of the character of the Doctor, which the others all followed. Yes they all reinterpreted it differently of course, with Troughton being sillier, Pertwee being more serious, Tom being more eccentric etc.

But they all stayed within that template he established with his performance. His Doctor was mysterious, so are all of theirs. His Doctor was an old soul who had lived a full life, so were all of theirs. His Doctor was someone interested in exploring, discovering the wonders of the universe, and being prepared to do anything to find them out, so were all of theirs. His Doctor was asexual and had a grandfatherly, fatherly relationship with his companions, or at least was seen as a mentor to them, so were all of theirs. His Doctor had a very strict moral code, where he didn't kill unless he had too, but when he did kill his enemies, he would do it without any angst, and using any weapon he had too. The same applies to all the others.

Even little things like his look, long, big hair, old fashioned Edwardian, Victorian era clothing, and the Doctor being a great fencer, and formidable fighter, those all come from him.

With the Doctor Hartnell, along with the writers of course, created a character as iconic as Sherlock Holmes, and Dracula, and like those characters he could be reinterpreted again and again.

When you get to New Who however from the start they just tossed out as much as they could of his character. By the time we reach Jodie there is literally nothing left of Hartnell in there.

She literally said she is going to toss everything about the Doctor out.

Jodie Whittaker: All the Rules Went Out The Window

Its sad but it shows you how a great character, created by a talented actor, can be destroyed by idiots.

4William Hartnell Appreciation Thread Empty Re: William Hartnell Appreciation Thread on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 9:01 am

iank

iank
New Who has nothing to do with Doctor Who. It's that simple.

5William Hartnell Appreciation Thread Empty Re: William Hartnell Appreciation Thread on Sat 09 Feb 2019, 11:23 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
He was great. Clearly loved the role unlike Jodie "I only took the part because I needed my political views to be heard" Whittaker.

6William Hartnell Appreciation Thread Empty Re: William Hartnell Appreciation Thread on Tue 21 May 2019, 2:50 pm

Doctor7

He was truly one of the best I loved his hmms and when he flubbed his lines he had charisma,charm .He mellowed too after a little while. My favorite stories of his are the war machines,the chase,dalek invasion of earth,the Romans,the time meddler,he was the doctor,the original you might say.

7William Hartnell Appreciation Thread Empty Re: William Hartnell Appreciation Thread on Tue 21 May 2019, 9:26 pm

Doctor7

I just did a impression of the first doctor it is under my impressions thread.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum