The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starting An Unearthly Child

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Starting An Unearthly Child on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Right now. Hoping it will fill the soon to be Primeval shaped hole in my life.

Not seen this story in a long while, looking forward to it.

The early Hartnell years from what I remember is among the best periods in the shows history. Such imagination, creativity and well thought out and atmospheric stories.

View user profile

2 Re: Starting An Unearthly Child on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Good for you.

Although, An Unearthly Child is only really worth watching for part one in my opinion. The remaining three parts are pretty fucking boring if I'm being completely honest. 90% of parts two through four basically just consist of a bunch of horribly acted Neanderthals shuffling around moaning that "THEY NEED TO MAKE FIHAH".

The following story 'The Daleks' is when the show REALLY took off.

View user profile

3 Re: Starting An Unearthly Child on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:40 pm

What I loved about the early episodes is that it dropped you into the middle of the story and you and the Doctor/companions all learned what was going on together. The audience didn’t know more than the Doctor and vice versa. It made the mystery aspects more fun. It was a far better approach for this kind of programme.

I could do without the “historical” episodes, though. Well at least without so many of them. There are reasons why there were fewer and fewer as the show aged.

"Don't be lasagna."
View user profile

4 Re: Starting An Unearthly Child on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Enjoy!

I've only seen it once. I remember the first episode being really atmospheric and eerie. The stuff in the junkyard is top quality. Don't recall much about the rest of the serial other than the cavemen.

5 Re: Starting An Unearthly Child on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:44 pm

I don't mind the historicals. The Massacre is by far the best one they ever did. That Steven/Doctor conversation at the end is more emotional than ANYTHING in Nuwho. Shame about Dodo, though.

6 Re: Starting An Unearthly Child on Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Well I have to say that whole story held up really well. William Hartnell was excellent, as were all the leads. Barbara is a bit weak in that story though compared to later episodes. Don't worry I'm not saying that its sexist because of that LOL, just an observation.

The caveman stuff wasn't as bad as people make out. There are lots of brilliant scenes with the Doctor, Ian, Barbara and Susan in the cave, like the notorious scene where Hartnell tries to stab the wounded caveman.

I think the second episode was the weakest. The bit where Hartnell first gets captured is as DeadManRising describes. My god for about 5 mins before Hartnell wakes up its just.

"I SAW THIS MAN MAKE FIRE"

"YOU NO MAKE FIRE"

" I SAW FIRE COME OUT OF HIS FINGERS"

"YOU NO MAKE FIRE"

I REMEMBER WHEN WE USED TO HAVE FIRE"

i SAW FIRE COME OUT OF HIS FINGERS"

"YOU NO MAKE FIRE"

"I REMEMBER WHEN WE USED TO HAVE FIRE"

Other than that though I thought that was a good start to the series. Roll on the Daleks, but first need to finish Primeval season 5.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum