BillPatJonTom
Zarius
bryanbraddock
tardis
Boofer
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 17th April 2019, 5:09 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom

Much as I'd love to upgrade my Planet of the Daleks dvd to a blu-ray with the option of the new special effects, I'm not sure the price is worth getting the rest of Season 10 all over again just to see it in slightly higher definition. Also that brief glimpse alone of Steven Moffat (from one of the new extras?) is not exactly enticing either.

27Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 17th April 2019, 8:33 pm

stengos

stengos

I would really like them but they are too expensive, especially as i already have the classic series on DVD (bar some of the special editions).

Its possible they may appear much cheaper on e-bay or in CEX in a few years. The New Series Blue Rays usually start off at about £50.00 and then go down to £15.00 or less in CEX after a few years. I would hope that will happen with the classic series Blue Rays. Alternatively the box sets may sell out quickly and then gain a rarity premium on the second hand market which puts them even further out of my reach. Fingers crossed i suppose.

28Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 17th April 2019, 10:26 pm

iank

iank

Yeah, I can't afford them, the DVDs are still fine, and I don't like the limited edition blackmail shit either.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

29Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 18th April 2019, 3:38 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Zarius wrote:And they filmed a pilot for a Jo Grant spin-off to promote it! Wink

Looks like it'd be a shit spin-off. The maggots look worse now than they ever did.

Also don't like the plinky plonky "it's all wonderful" music score.

And I really don't get why Moffat and his opinions have to feature on the extras for this (no doubt he's just there to be really sneery and reductive about the stories). I was already sick to the back teeth of him five years ago.

30Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 18th April 2019, 3:49 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I don't even own these stories on DVD. I'm not the biggest fan of the Pertwee era in general. I think I'll stick to completing my Hartnell/Troughton collection instead. Macra Terror is on its way Wink

31Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 18th April 2019, 4:01 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I think you have to have grown up with the era (or at least significant parts of it) really, for it to have the right affect, and for the Autons, Sea Devils, Daleks, Spiridons and Maggots to bring back the thrills and memories of childhood.

Otherwise you probably won't see what all the fuss is about and it just comes off as cosy and pat TV.

32Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 18th April 2019, 4:53 pm

stengos

stengos

Tanmann wrote:I think you have to have grown up with the era (or at least significant parts of it) really, for it to have the right affect, and for the Autons, Sea Devils, Daleks, Spiridons and Maggots to bring back the thrills and memories of childhood.

Otherwise you probably won't see what all the fuss is about and it just comes off as cosy and pat TV.

I sort of agree. I find it very difficult to watch the McCoy era. I was about 22 when it started and i could never get used to his, Langford's or Aldred's acting. Even in some of the better stories (e.g., Remembrance or Greatest Show) i still found their performances were a bit off and ruined the story as a whole. Maybe i would have grown to like them more if i had been 10 years younger at the time.

33Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 18th April 2019, 7:25 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I find it ridiculously easy to watch the McCoy era myself. Definitely my favourite period of the entire show.

34Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 18th April 2019, 7:31 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

stengos wrote:I sort of agree. I find it very difficult to watch the McCoy era. I was about 22 when it started and i could never get used to his, Langford's or Aldred's acting. Even in some of the better stories (e.g., Remembrance or Greatest Show) i still found their performances were a bit off and ruined the story as a whole. Maybe i would have grown to like them more if i had been 10 years younger at the time.

The problem I think with the McCoy era is that the show really comes unglued on Season 24 and in the main, only occasionally comes back together after. And I suppose even when it did, for many fans the spell was already broken.

McCoy's performance wasn't great (with stronger mentoring though I think he could've mastered the role quicker), at least at first, but it didn't help that they seemed to have to scramble to give his character a late coherent direction.

I suppose I was lucky in that I was 11 when most of the BBC repeats were of Pertwee and of Genesis of the Daleks, and Remembrance got released that Christmas. So I watched Remembrance with the stakes of Genesis in mind, which made it all the more thrilling and urgent. It had a payoff to that 'unfinished business' from Genesis.

35Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 18th April 2019, 11:16 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

I still don't see the point in buying them for myself.

I guess they're good for new (Classic) fans who feel overwhelmed by all the DVDs.

36Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 18th April 2019, 11:42 pm

iank

iank

Yeah, that about sums it up. Way too expensive to rebuy just for the sake of it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

37Classic Blu ray sets - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Blu ray sets 19th April 2019, 11:44 am

stengos

stengos

Commander Maxil wrote:I find it ridiculously easy to watch the McCoy era myself. Definitely my favourite period of the entire show.

No era from the classic show is without merit imho. The stories got better in the latter two seasons and Sylvester's performance was much improved in the BF CDs - The Genocide Machine was excellent in my view.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum