The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

Segun Akinola replaces Murray Gold as new composer

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

View user profile
Here's some samples on his soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/segunakinola

View user profile
Disappointed they didn't go for my suggestion, Steve Shit.

Missed a fucking trick there, Chinball!

View user profile
TBH I've never thought that the incidental music in DW was ever that great. Apart from in Tom's era and the 60s. There was some great creepy music in the old stories that went well, and some good dramatic music like when the Yetis attack covent gardens.

Others like this piece from Terror of the Zygons are also nice in their own right.

I also loved the creepy organ music in Pyramids of Mars too.

However a lot of the Pertwee music like when he is getting choked by the phone chord sounds like Rimmers Hammond Organ Recital night music.

Also a lot of the 80s music was bland or jarring like in Mawdryn Undead or Remembrance of the Daleks.

New Who's music often doesn't go with the show as its too loud and intrusive, but some of it can be quite good if you listen to it on youtube on its own.

View user profile
@burrunjor wrote:TBH I've never thought that the incidental music in DW was ever that great. Apart from in Tom's era and the 60s. There was some great creepy music in the old stories that went well, and some good dramatic music like when the Yetis attack covent gardens.

Others like this piece from Terror of the Zygons are also nice in their own right.

I also loved the creepy organ music in Pyramids of Mars too.

However a lot of the Pertwee music like when he is getting choked by the phone chord sounds like Rimmers Hammond Organ Recital night music.

Also a lot of the 80s music was bland or jarring like in Mawdryn Undead or Remembrance of the Daleks.

New Who's music often doesn't go with the show as its too loud and intrusive, but some of it can be quite good if you listen to it on youtube on its own.

I disagree. I think the music on 80’s Dr Who was the best in the whole series. Scores like Paddy Kingsland’s Logopolis, Malcolm Clarke’s creepy Earthshock and the atmospheric Enlightenment were sublime pieces of music in their own right. My favourites from the 80s were Peter Howell’s Leisure Hive, Snakedance and Planet of Fire, Roger Limb’s Caves of Androzani and Revelation of the Daleks and Richard Hartley’s Mindwarp.

I listened to Segun Akinola’s soundcloud page and some of the music is atmospheric but I have this horrible feeling that he will be told by the executives to carry on doing Murray Gold’s job with the Nation Orchestra of Wales to do the usual bombastic hollywood style racket.

View user profile
I quite agree, the 80s have some of the best music of the lot!
Yeah, I've no doubt Akinola will be all but indistinguishable from Gold. Look at the dialogue in that brief Whittaker scene - New Who through and through. It's just more of the same.

View user profile
Mawdryn and Remembrance have some of the coolest scores in the entire series. The Black Guardian theme kicks ass. I remember some idiot complaining about the Ghost Light score because it wasn't something you could "listen to whilst doing your shopping" like you could with Gold's work. I guess he didn't know the purpose of incidental music.

NuWho has produced some memorable music, but most of it has been overplayed and emotionally-manipulative shite.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum