The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Road to Series 11: The Great Big NuWho Binge

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:3. The Unquiet Dead
Wow. I didn't care for this episode when it first aired but I watched this late last night and it was, as the big eared twat of a Doctor would say, fantastic. At least for nuwho standards. It was almost like watching a classic Who story, in fact if someone were to edit this to alter the colour and slightly degrade the picture quality, it could almost pass for a classic who story.

They changed the lighting to match the setting which rids the episode of the oversaturated, bloom effect look that plagued the previous episodes, though the orange tint remains. The cheap looking camera work is a positive here and combined with the new characters and their dialogue completes the illusion that The Unquiet Dead could have been ripped right from the early-mid 70s Who era.

My biggest surprise was the music, or more the lack of it. Most of the episode has no music at all, entire scenes go by with nothing but the dialogue and some atmostpheric noises and what music there is is mostly well done and effective. Simple notes being drawn out, growing in intensity to match the mood of the scene.

There are still some issues however, mainly the pace. I think the story would have been improved if it were a two parter or done in the classic who format, again the reveal of the threat is too close to the resolution and it needed more time to set the tone and slowly escalate. And NuWho loves to reuse actors doesn't it? I had no idea Eve Myles was in this.

Positive comment: What more is there to say? Very solid episode and it'd be easier to try and say something negative about it, so I will. It's been three episodes now and I'm not buying Eccleston as the Doctor. His accent, his costume and the way he plays the part don't fit the role, especially not here where I'm taken out of the setting and mood every time he appears on screen.

One thing I did wish they'd at least touched on at the time was that the Doctor had at least considered the possibility of the aliens double crossing them (and hence may have not been on the level). You'd think he'd have been around long enough to not be quite so gullible.

View user profile
Mr. Herpes wrote:I know the Britney Spears song is meant to be humorous but it just makes me cringe.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Britney Spears Wink

It's the best part of an episode I consider to be the very worst of series 1.

View user profile
For me, the worst was The Long Game. Rose is just a spare part and the story can't carry her and Adam who is a bit of a dead weight.

Aliens of London/World War 3 gets unfairly maligned in my opinion. It seems like everybody wants to focus on the daft farting (which was just... urgh!). I quite like Boom Town as well.

View user profile
Speaking of The Long Game, does anyone else think that the 9th Doctor's treatment of Adam Mitchell was incredibly fucked up?

Yeah, I get it. He went behind the Doctor's back and nearly changed the course of history by trying to send information from the far future to 21st century Earth, but that hardly warrants leaving him stranded with a brain chip in his head that is immediately exposed whenever someone in the nearby vicinity clicks their fingers. He wasn't evil, he was just a dumb kid who was way out of his depth. I mean for fuck's sake, Rose very nearly created a massive time paradox in Father's Day when she tried to save her dad and the Doctor only gave her a light slap on the wrist for doing so.

Yet another example of the moral inconsistencies frequently seen from the NuWho Doctors.

View user profile
@DeadManRising wrote:Speaking of The Long Game, does anyone else think that the 9th Doctor's treatment of Adam Mitchell was incredibly fucked up?

Yeah, I get it. He went behind the Doctor's back and nearly changed the course of history by trying to send information from the far future to 21st century Earth, but that hardly warrants leaving him stranded with a brain chip in his head that is immediately exposed whenever someone in the nearby vicinity clicks their fingers. He wasn't evil, he was just a dumb kid who was way out of his depth. I mean for fuck's sake, Rose very nearly created a massive time paradox in Father's Day when she tried to save her dad and the Doctor only gave her a light slap on the wrist for doing so.

Yet another example of the moral inconsistencies frequently seen from the NuWho Doctors.

Good point actually. That's one thing I hate about the New Who Doctor though is the way he picks favourites.

You never got the impression with the old Doctor except when it was Susan (who fair enough was his family.)

Even then though he treated Barbara with just as much respect as Susan like at the end of The Edge of Destruction.

The New Who Doctor is always picking favourites however and doing companions like Mickey and Martha down. Its unlikable to say the least.

View user profile
On a smaller but still significant scale, the Doctor won't give that surviving tour guide from the starship Titanic crash a trip home in the TARDIS - literally just one trip that would have taken him virtually no time at all. Instead, leaves him on Earth which given what he was saying on the tour, was a place he knew nothing about. I don't know why but that annoyed me a lot more than it should have.

View user profile
OK, according to this, circumstances about what I wrote were a little different (I don't remember noticing any of this at the time)

"After being refused an opportunity to travel with the Doctor (because the Doctor did not want a new companion at the time), the Doctor told Copper that the credit card he had was worth the local equivalent of 50,000,056 credits. Ecstatic at his newfound wealth, he planned to make a life on Earth so he wouldn't spend the rest of his life in prison on Sto for fraud. (TV: Voyage of the Damned)"

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Copper_(Voyage_of_the_Damned)

but it did all give rise to this which probably more entertaining than the actual episode (not one of my favourites, to be honest).

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a841841/doctor-who-grumpy-interview-resurfaces-clive-swift/

View user profile
Also its Mr Copper that set up the foundation Harriet Jones uses to call the Doctor in The Stolen Earth. Had he not left Mr Copper on the earth then there would have been no way of contacting the Doctor and every universe would have been destroyed.

View user profile
I never joined those dots ... thank you for letting me know.

View user profile

Adam Ant Driver

Dick Tater
@Rawkuss wrote:Aliens of London/World War 3 gets unfairly maligned in my opinion. It seems like everybody wants to focus on the daft farting (which was just... urgh!). I quite like Boom Town as well.

I haven't watched any more episodes since I saw those were next. I'll have to take your word for it and continue.

View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum