Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1The Big Finish Thread Empty The Big Finish Thread 24th May 2018, 6:54 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

2The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 24th May 2018, 7:13 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Nice of them to bring back Star Cops. I wish the TV show had lasted longer.

3The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 24th May 2018, 10:19 pm

iank

iank

Fuck Big Finish. They've become total sellouts to the new who shilling.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

4The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 13th July 2018, 12:19 pm

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Rawkuss wrote:Jago and Litefoot: Forever

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/999571603385073666

out now

Jago and Litefoot Forever is absolute crap. Includes the Revival stories which they already sold separately and a beyond-the-grave use of the dead actor's voice.
And despite the producer's denial it was indeed 100% a cash milking exercise.

I used to love that series but they fucked it up of course, with far too much Nicholas Briggs and Lisa Bowerman and not enough of the men themselves.

By the time it ended it was a mercy killing.

5The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 1st November 2018, 11:20 am

Zarius

Zarius

Jo Grant, Slitheen, Fendhal and Autons all coming to Torchwood

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torchwood-vs-doctor-who-monsters

6The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 11th December 2018, 5:58 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

Big Finish have announced a new series where River Song will meet Ian, Barbara and Susan.

Here it is.

An Unearthly Woman

When will they learn we HATE River Song.

7The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 11th December 2018, 8:59 pm

iank

iank

I'm afraid they have completely lost the plot. No one who likes River Pong cares about the Hartnell era, and no Hartnell fan wants that joke character or any New Poo BS polluting that era.
They're fucking insane over there now.

8The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 12th December 2018, 9:04 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Big Finish isn't canon. None of the stories actually happened. Are we to believe Colin had seven hundred and five companions and went through a complete character transformation for no apparent reason? Six also never wore a Bluecoat and to introduce one just because fans were embarrassed with his original attire is pathetic.

9The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 14th December 2018, 1:02 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Commander Maxil wrote:Big Finish isn't canon. None of the stories actually happened. Are we to believe Colin had seven hundred and five companions and went through a complete character transformation for no apparent reason? Six also never wore a Bluecoat and to introduce one just because fans were embarrassed with his original attire is pathetic.

I kept saying it on their own forums until I was banned, Big Finish only has value when they bring in the original actors, use appropriate stories and sensibilities and basically recreate an era. That applies for new fans or people wanting to get a full intensity blast from the nostalgiatron.

Adding in all those Sixie companion pissed me off to no end, and even worse it ended up deep in Virgin Books territory where we are treated to endless companion or spinoff idea focused "stories" that are just a total waste of fucking time.

As a fan of Colin Baker, warts and all, I went to Big Finish to get more Colin and Nicola. Not this endless parade of Briggs, Bowerman and accomplices. Fuck my dog it got dire.

Jago and Litefoot hit the heights and then, once again, in comes the endless parade of unwanted intrusions.

As for pushing odious excrescences like River fucking Song into everything- no thank you.

They seem to forget people are expected to actually voluntarily pay for this crap.

I went from dropping a decent amount of money on BF to spending none at all and not even visiting the site.

Once I saw Nicola had jumped the fence and done some bit part acting in America etc. I knew we wouldn't be getting any more Baker and Bryant proper Doctor 6 stuff. And the rest of it can fuck off.

Most irritating of all is the senseless way they keep adding more and more companions, without ending any of their tenures, so they all just end up in this uncanonical mess.

There was a brief return to form when they got Tom Baker to do audios, but they've fucked them up now as well of course.

10The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 16th December 2018, 6:29 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/series-8a-1642

You've got Tom Baker doing audios, you have all but one of his companions available, you've got Hinchcliffe available.

So instead, Big Finish does a quartet of stories that could be decent* and shoehorns in the umpteenth unwanted "new companion" from their endless bottomless chumbucket of dreck.

It would have been vastly better to have Tom Baker on his own, post-Deadly Assassin pre-Leela.

But of course fucking not. Another new companion no one asked for or wants.

At this point I suspect these supernumerary nonentities are being added purely to give jobs to family members, lovers and other unjustified casting choices.

*another pet peeve - in any "set" Big Finish does they ALWAYS loop back and use the same "new" original monster or race twice or more, cheapening all the stories and making the set much more tawdry and dull.

It elevates a literally-who race or threat above Daleks, Cybermen or Ice Warriors, none of whom receive this story arc treatment in these sets.

Just fucking stop, Big Finish. Just fucking stop.

11The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 16th December 2018, 7:27 am

iank

iank

I completely agree. If I ever go back to BF and want some Toms, I'm going for the ones with him and a real companion. They should be making as much use of him with Louise and Lalla while all three of them are still with us, not some ridiculous uncanonical companion that never was.
It totally puts me off. I think I listened to one of those Colin ones with Flip or some bugger. It wasn't very good, and from what I heard there was zero reason it couldn't have been Peri or Mel. Pointless.

12The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 5th January 2019, 10:18 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

There have been so far FIVE series of River Song. Five.
That no one is buying by the looks of things. Surprise.

13The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 6th January 2019, 2:05 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Just discovered that big finish are also doing a STD universe Star Trek series called Prometheus.

Anything but straight Doctor Who, it seems.
Too many lines, too few customers. Someone needs to talk Briggs down off the ledge and get the main Doctor Who line back on fucking track.

14The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 7th January 2019, 6:12 pm

Zarius

Zarius

The Eighth Doctor meets Jacobi's Master in Big Finish's "Rage of the Time Lords"

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/war-master-vs-eight-doctor

15The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 12th January 2019, 10:14 am

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

At this point it really is like Mad Lib or a RPG random chart.

Doctor: roll 1d10
Companion: roll 1d6. on a roll of 5 or 6 it is a new made up one from Big Finish otherwise roll 1d100 for what companion
25% chance Master is added for no reason at all, roll 1d10 for which Master version it is

and so on and so on.

Big. Finish. Just. STOP.

16The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 13th January 2019, 11:08 am

Greywoolfe

Greywoolfe

The only BF Who stuff I have is the Light At The End 50th anniversary special, and the first set of the 3rd Doctor Adventures starring Tim Treloar as Pertwee's Doctor. I enjoyed LATE, and was ambivalent about the 3rd Doctor stuff- Treloar sounds almost-but-not-quite like Pertwee, and the bits where he doesn't I find jarring. Won't repeat the experience there. Also won't touch anything to do with River Song with a 150 foot barge pole. I also have season 1 of Torchwood, which I have yet to get around to listening to, but the one range I *do* enjoy a lot is their Blake's Seven stuff. This is perfectly within the spirit of the original show, and fills in the narrative gaps in the original series brilliantly- and there's no Nick Briggs stamping all over it either. The only mis-step they've done is that they've recast Dayna, as although they have Josette Simon on other ranges, they can't seem to persuade her to rejoin B7, and with Gareth Thomas (Blake) now departed, they are limited to season 3 for narrative gaps nowadays. Glynis Barber also appears on other ranges as well, and I would love them to get past copyrighting to get Soolin back in the series too, which will open up season 4 for writing. Their missing adventures with limited cast reading stories are also pretty good, too. TL;DR, Who is shite, but B7 is still reasonably good.

17The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 7th April 2019, 7:33 am

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

New audio adventure featuring Tom and Romana II:

https://doctorwhowatch.com/2019/04/05/doctor-who-silent-scream/

Unfortunately, it's written by James Goss, so it's almost guaranteed to be shit.

18The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 7th April 2019, 7:58 am

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

ClockworkOcean wrote:so it's almost guaranteed to be shit.

Yeah, like anyone should care about that baseless prediction and judjement of the quality of a story the poster above hasn't even listened to yet.

"Ooh I've not heard this story and have nothing revealing to say about it, but I'm going to tell you what I predict like you all care."

At least when I slate Warriors of the Deep, I've had the decency to have at least *watched* it first.

Jesus Christ....

Last edited by Bladeswitch on 8th April 2019, 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total

19The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 7th April 2019, 9:12 am

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Goss is the talentless hack co-author who shoehorned the 13th Doctor into Tom Baker's Scratchman novel just to gloat to the uncharacteristically meek and emasculated 4th Doctor about how superior she was to him, littering a potentially great story with jarring, out-of-place NuWho tropes for the sole purpose of pissing off the only audience likely to buy the damn thing.

"Baseless!"
\
The Big Finish Thread Winner

20The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 7th April 2019, 2:43 pm

Bladeswitch

Bladeswitch

Right.....

You do realize quite a lot of the writers at Big Finish have been pretty militantly pro-Jodie too, and yet it hasn't necessarily determined the quality of their work?

Nick Briggs for instance has made some pretty belligerent tweets about Jodie's haters, but that doesn't mean he hasn't written some pretty solid audios in the past (Creatures of Beauty, Dalek Empire, To The Death, The Nowhere Place).

The shoehorning in of Jodie to the Scratchman novel (which I haven't read so just going off word of mouth) may have been a bad move but I'd say was more about cynical pandering than anything.

I will buy that Goss probably does have this fannish fear that doing these classic show novelizations will only interest the young new series crowd if some familiar element from the modern show is crowbarred into it somehow (though not sure why, because from my understanding, new fans are familiar enough with Sarah Jane, so her presence should've been enough). But I'd put that down to a business decision concerning a mainstream book release, than necessarily him not having talent and not being able to produce some good writing in other circumstances.

And from that it follows that his more low-profile Big Finish work which isn't destined for the mainstream book stores isn't going to have that problem.

Besides, Warriors of the Deep emasculated the Doctor but you all seem fine with that.

21The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 1st May 2019, 12:43 pm

Boofer

Boofer

The Big Finish Thread 59244110

22The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 16th June 2019, 7:17 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Katy Manning claims Capaldi has done a BF, maybe:

https://twitter.com/ManningOfficial/status/1140195611582586880

23The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 19th June 2019, 12:49 am

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

It's far too late to save his legacy at this point, but I hope the poor guy gets to do some decent stories. His time under Moffat might just be the most egregious waste of talent in the history of television.

24The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 25th June 2019, 10:21 am

Zarius

Zarius

Freema Agyeman has been approached a few times but timing and scheduling never quite pans out, she hints that something is coming up though

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a28175074/doctor-who-freema-agyeman-teases-return-martha-jones/

25The Big Finish Thread Empty Re: The Big Finish Thread 25th June 2019, 10:39 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Zarius wrote:Freema Agyeman has been approached a few times but timing and scheduling never quite pans out, she hints that something is coming up though

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a28175074/doctor-who-freema-agyeman-teases-return-martha-jones/

I'd be up for that! One of the best New Who companions. Freema's voice is also one of the most sensual, sexy, and gorgeous things I've ever heard.

Her and Ingrid Oliver together would be perfect.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum