The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

Could A Woman Doctor Who Ever Have Worked

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Could A Woman Doctor Who Ever Have Worked on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 am

My answer is no. I think it could have worked in a remake of the show no problem. If you did a reboot with a female version of the first Doctor, then yeah that might even be quite fun. I always thought it would have been cool if they did a story where Doctors from alternate universes have to come together to stop a major threat against all universes.

You could have had the Cushing Doctor be there. I'd reveal that he was actually a time lord. My head canon is that he left when he was a younger Hartnell, explaining why Susan was a child. They visited the 4th universe and lost the TARDIS (just like in the original timeline as we saw in Edge of Destruction), but this time it was more badly damaged and he was wounded trying to get it back, leading to him regenerating into Cushing. He then flew the TARDIS to earth to try and repair it, posing as an eccentric scientist Doctor Who, and in doing so changed its inside appearance. I'd have the third incarnation of Doctor Who, alongside a grown up Roberta Tovey. I'd also have the David Warner Doctor from the Big Finish audios and finally have one who was a female version of Doctor No1. In this reality the Doctors parents (whoever they were) gave birth to a girl, who had the same upbringing he had and became the same adventurer.

Then later when this version finished after Doctor No 13, you could return to the alternate female Doctor in a reboot that is still connected to the original by being in the same multiverse but is ultimately a different character. I'd have 0 problem with that. However in terms of changing this version of the Doctor I can't ever see it working.

Its always going to feel out of place for me. You could come up with better reasons within the lore for it happening than clumsily rewriting every single Time Lord to have no gender, like a certain self loathing fanboy did of course. Maybe something went wrong because he was killed with radiation that damaged his Y chromosome, maybe he needed to go into hiding.

TBH though even then it would still feel like a parody, and ultimately the woman would have to play it as a man trapped in a woman's body, so what's the point? Furthermore if you want it to be true to his character, then the Doctor would have to be uncomfortable being a woman as any person would be uncomfortable at having their gender bei forcibly changed against their will (its implemented as a punishment to gay men in Iran FFS)

Okay the Doctor is not a human, but again its bollocks that his race had no concept of gender, and he was never depicted as trans, so yeah I'd expect him to feel a bit uncomfortable about it and want to change back so again what's the point?

Plus it would open up such a can of worms. People would start demanding that the Doctor stay a woman, calling it sexism if he changed back, or anti trans etc. Its best just to leave this version as a man IMO.

Still you may have other opinions than me. I will say that whilst I've always thought it was a terrible idea, the only reason I absolutely despise it, and have actual anger at it happening is because of why it happened.

We all know it was only because the feminists slandered Moff in really vicious ways. He may be many things, but he isn't a sexist, a homophobe, a racist, and he doesn't deserve to be tarred as one. Added to that there is the fact that they were happy trashing other characters to get it like Missy, and finally there is their disgusting treatment of the fans and people like Peter Davison.

I also get bitter being told by people who don't watch ANY female led shows or female led forms of entertainment that I need to get used to seeing women in strong roles. Again you can accuse me of many things, (being a crushing bore among them.) But saying I have a trouble with female protagonists is laughable. Had the pro female Doctor crowd not been such nasty, bullying and hypocritical fucks, then I'm sure I wouldn't quite despise it as much as I do.

View user profile

2 Re: Could A Woman Doctor Who Ever Have Worked on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:13 pm

I would have been more accepting of the decision had it been made under JNT. It wouldn't have seemed so malicious if he had done it. I'm not sure it would have worked but I'm sure he would have found a great actress similar to the calibre of Kate O'Mara for the role rather than someone as bland as Jodie Whittaker. Who knows? It might have worked.  At the end of the day, I would have given them a chance regardless of whether I thought it was correct or not.  I'm not giving anyone a chance these days. After all the verbal insults, the pandering, the bullying, the mob mentality of some of the fans and the strong sense of man hating I've decided that they can all fuck themselves.

View user profile

3 Re: Could A Woman Doctor Who Ever Have Worked on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:37 pm

My observation on this probably isn't greatly original or surprising, but I feel a Romana spin-off would have been by far the best decision. As I've mentioned before making contradictory changes to a format, even one as varied and long-lived as Dr Who, is very risky and alienates the old fans.

Season 18 of Tru Who could have been seen as a starting point for its development and brought the character's emotional side out to balance her incredible intellect. Sadly, as we are all well aware, the chances of Nu Who becoming similar in tone to the early JNT era are remote at best (and the fact that JNT developed characters like the Rani would seem to indicate he had little intention of having a female Doctor).

Oscar Wilde
View user profile

4 Re: Could A Woman Doctor Who Ever Have Worked on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:44 pm

I think that a female Doctor might, (and that's a big might) MIGHT have worked if Time Lord regeneration being able to alter gender was established really early on in the show's history. Maybe during The Power of the Daleks they could have had Troughton's Doctor quickly explain the process of regeneration to Ben and Polly, and while doing so mention that there's a very small chance that a Time Lord's entire gender can completely change upon regenerating. Then one or two incarnations later they could have pulled the trigger and have the Doctor finally transform into a woman.

Admittedly it would still feel weird as hell seeing the Doctor turn into a woman for the first time ever, but at least in this hypothetical scenario it wouldn't violate any of the lore. Not to mention it wouldn't feel anywhere near as jarring as changing his entire gender 54 fucking years later.

As it stands now however, a female Doctor is an absolutely terrible idea. It ruins the show's history and lore, and it's impossible to take seriously after over 54 years of having a male lead. Even in a remake/reboot with it's own separate canon that is completely divorced from Classic Who, it would still feel like a fucking parody.

View user profile

5 Re: Could A Woman Doctor Who Ever Have Worked on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:56 pm

@burrunjor wrote:My answer is no.

Well colour me surprised. LOL LOL LOL LOL

View user profile

6 Re: Could A Woman Doctor Who Ever Have Worked on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:15 pm

June 1983 - letter and response in Doctor Who Monthly Issue 77

View user profile

7 Re: Could A Woman Doctor Who Ever Have Worked on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Nicholas Pegg, of course, having gone down in history as a true Hiver for calling BBC Worldwide and Panini a bunch of CUNTS in a hidden message in DWM last year. Big Grin LOL

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum