The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favourite Era of New Who

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Favourite Era of New Who on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 pm

When do you think the revival was at its peak (assuming you don't think it was all shit.)

I'm going to say Matt Smith's early years.

Matt Smith was the best of the New Doctors. IMO none of the other new who Doctors even come close. Matt was naturally eccentric, had the right child like humour, and morally he wasn't a total hypocrite either. I didn't like the lothario aspects of his Doctor however. I'm not sure whether to blame him or Moff for that. Matt in real life seems to be a ladies man, and so I think that bled into his Doctor. Still whether that was him or Moff I don't know, but Moff should have stopped it.

Anyway that aside, I liked Matt's early years a lot. His Doctor was brilliant, the story arcs started out a bit more interesting (even if they went nowhere.) His companions were good and played well off of each other. He had the best individual episodes with the likes of Vincent and the Doctor, and even The Lodger, which is great fun.

His era definitely had a lot of misused potential, but overall I think it holds up, or rather it would have held up had what came next not been so toe curlingly awful. That kind of sours all of new who, which is a shame as Matt Smith really was an amazing Doctor.

View user profile

2 Re: Favourite Era of New Who on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 pm

2005-2007

Plenty of watchable stuff from that period. Some I even consider to be classics. Series 1 is the best in terms of consistency but I think Series 3 has some of the best stories the modern series has ever produced. Series 2 has the only decent modern Cybermen episodes and the Girl in the Fireplace is a really strong piece of work. I even liked Love and Monsters.

Early Smith was decent and I remember digging Series 5 at the time.

Series 6 is shite but I think the latter half of Series 7 is fairly enjoyable.

3 Re: Favourite Era of New Who on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Erm, I dunno. Series one was good but then two was shite, I enjoyed three but four was poor. The Specials were mostly dire but Season five was pretty great. Six patchy, Seven crap, Eight pathetic and then it was all downhill from there. So, um, before Seven?

View user profile

4 Re: Favourite Era of New Who on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 pm

I think we can all agree that it's just gotten worse, can't we?

View user profile

5 Re: Favourite Era of New Who on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 pm

The terminal era yet to come.

View user profile

6 Re: Favourite Era of New Who on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:16 pm

All seasons were awful, apart from a good story and an average story which stood out in each run. I don't think it's ever been different.

View user profile

7 Re: Favourite Era of New Who on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Series 5 is definitely the pinnacle of NuWho in my opinion.

Most of the episodes are fairly decent, Matt Smith is on excellent form, Karen Gillan is super cute and compliments Matt's Doctor extremely well, and it wasn't bogged down by all these ridiculously convoluted and horribly unsatisfying story arcs that Moffat introduced from Series 6 onward.

Series 1 is also fairly tolerable, although I'm sure most of you will disagree. Most of the episodes are okayish, and while Eccleston isn't a good Doctor by any stretch of the imagination, he's still far more tolerable than David Tennant. While Rose is an extremely bland and forgettable companion, she really isn't that bad in Series 1. It wasn't until Tennant arrived and Rose became really clingy and obsessive over the Doctor was when she started to really become annoying.

View user profile

8 Re: Favourite Era of New Who on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 pm

I agree with burrunjour and deadmanrising.

View user profile

9 Re: Favourite Era of New Who on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:53 am

Series 5 and 6 were least offensive (although there's still a lot of unlikeable stuff). The introduction of Clara firmly reinforced how unbearable the modern series is.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum