You are not connected. Please login or register

RTD Vs. Moffat

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 RTD Vs. Moffat on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Who is worse/better as showrunner?

View user profile

2 Re: RTD Vs. Moffat on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Tough question, it's like asking if it's better to have severe constipation or diarrhea so bad you can't even make it to the toilet.

Both showrunners have a long list of cons and a couple of pros.

Davies

- Idiotic writing
- Inconsistent 10th Doctor, he was either broody or a hyper child
- Couldn't resolve stories in a satisfying way
- Cheap and nasty visual style and inconsistent production values
- Smug
- Terrible romance and companions
- Didn't write any standout episodes in my opinion
- Imposed his own agenda on the show
+ Could restrain himself to at least keep the stories simple
+ Better balance between normal dialogue and jokes for the most part

Moffat
- Idiotic writing
- Can't resolve stories in a satisfying way
- Smug
- Can't resist trying to show off by convoluting the story until it's almost incoherent
- Imposes his own agenda on the show
- Quips out the arse
- Forces his own creations to be a returning thing (Weeping angels, River Song)
- Missy and the CyberBrig
+ More cinematic visual style and better production values
+ Better companions
+ Wrote some decent episodes under Davies and on his own

Last edited by Adam Ant Driver on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

For three long days, I felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder. Lost in the depths of despair I tried to figure out what I had done to deserve this. I wasn't an evil person. The worst thing I'd ever done was kick a pig - School trip to Heston Farm, 1964, I maintain it was self-defence.
View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

3 Re: RTD Vs. Moffat on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:11 pm

I'll pick RTD for the simple reason I can watch any episodes from his run more than once.
Moffat doesn't quite have the same value for me. Yes, even the burping wheelie bin. I'll take that over anything from the past few years!
Given that I'd pick anything else to watch over the show anyway. Worse, my dissatisfaction has also extended to the Classic Series. Maybe I need a good long break from it all.
It clearly isn't my show now. I've either been left behind or I'm just not that into it.

Burping Wheelie>>>>>>Cyber-Brig.

View user profile

4 Re: RTD Vs. Moffat on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 pm

View user profile

5 Re: RTD Vs. Moffat on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:20 pm

It pains me to say it, but Davies. Even his last season still has some gems amidst the drivel, but go passed Moffat's 2nd and it's naught but shite.

View user profile

6 Re: RTD Vs. Moffat on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:48 pm

RTD knew how to draw in the plebs. Moffat tried to make geeks out of Joe Public with his approach and it just does'nt work like that. I prefer more bits of Moffat over RTD as far as ambition goes, but ambition also needs to have some semblence of direction. With Davies, as much as you want to frown upon the populist approach, it did have direction, and it did have success.

View user profile

7 Re: RTD Vs. Moffat on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 pm

If I had to choose it'd be RTD - grudgingly, as his idea simply doesn't fit Dr Who in my opinion but you consistently felt he was 100% excited and giving it his all.

Davies' vision is enthusiastic rather than intelligent, and perhaps his history with kids' shows like Why Don't You and bawdy romps like Casanova comes through in his Nu Who, often to a cringeworthy degree. However the enthusiasm kind of carries you along, not least when Tennant is in it: unless you can't stand him as an actor he always seems comfy with RTD's material, as did Barrowman. And it had heart - characters like Rose, Wilf, Jackie etc certainly had that, even if you wouldn't really want to hang out with them for very long.

Moffat on the other hand probably has more intelligence (Coupling being an often witty sitcom), but after a while it just seems like he's just in a rush to get it out there and half-arsed. So many of his shows display good ideas & original approaches before crashing & burning- Nu Who, Sherlock, the last episode of Jekyll. And whereas with RTD you got the feeling he really wanted you to like his show Moffat just seems to be trying to impress by cheating on plots or firing soundbites at you: take the s9 Dalek two-parter where Capaldi says to the stunned Davros, "I'm the Doctor - just accept it!" upon escaping being killed.

Ultimately Moffat's version of the show lacks heart - Capaldi & Clara being a good example of characters who I find it difficult to care about because of how they're written.

Oscar Wilde
View user profile

8 Re: RTD Vs. Moffat on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 pm

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/25-reasons-why-steven-moffat-is-the-biggest-troll-in-televis?utm_term=.aqXejDmlq#.kervkopP4

View user profile

9 Re: RTD Vs. Moffat on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 pm

@Rawkuss wrote:https://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/25-reasons-why-steven-moffat-is-the-biggest-troll-in-televis?utm_term=.aqXejDmlq#.kervkopP4

Funnier than any of the jokes in his scripts.

For three long days, I felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder. Lost in the depths of despair I tried to figure out what I had done to deserve this. I wasn't an evil person. The worst thing I'd ever done was kick a pig - School trip to Heston Farm, 1964, I maintain it was self-defence.
View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum