The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who would have liked to see play the Doctor?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm not talking about now, since we can all agree the show's dead basically.

In the past? You can pick deceased actors here obviously.

My number 1 choice for the Doctor ever since I was a little boy was Tim Curry. It was when I saw the movie Clue I realised "this guy would be an AMAZING Doctor" Take a look at these clips of him as the character Wadsworth.

Where he's running around from room to room, explaining everything that happened, you can see how he's kind of like Tom Baker here. TBH I think he's the only actor who could have been as perfect for the role as Tom Baker.

Sadly since his stroke this is obviously not feasable, but he really would have been the perfect Doctor. Such a shame.

View user profile
Albert Einstein

View user profile
Jeremy Corbyn Brett.

View user profile
@Boofer wrote:Jeremy Corbyn Brett.

Ooooh good choice. His Holmes persona would have been an obviously good for the Doctor.

View user profile
Mr. Happy wrote:Albert Einstein

Tim Curry would've been better.

View user profile
Jeff Goldblum. Peter MacNicol.

View user profile
@iank wrote:Jeff Goldblum. Peter MacNicol.

Odd choices? I LOVE both actors, but I am just not sure I could see them as the Doctor? (PS watched the Bean Movie the other day. Forgot how hilarious it was. When he tried to draw the replacement on the paintings face I LOLed.)

I always thought that Bruce Campbell would have been the best choice for an American Doctor.

View user profile
Could Sean Connery have done a good job? Bruce Willis would have made a good American contender, maybe. Bruce would have been better.

View user profile
Hmm, can't see that. Goldblum seems like a classic Tom-like option to me, while MacNicol would very much be in the Pat/Sylv mould. Wink

View user profile

10 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 pm

l'd say the thing isn't dead, yet. I hold no delusions of grandeur for a New Golden Age spearheaded by Mr. Chibnall and La Whittaker. That said, I would have liked to see David Bradley as 13th Doctor.

View user profile

11 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 pm

Julian Rhind-Tutt.
Alex in Hippies for further reference. Too old now though.
Charles Dance
The moment has gone now however.
Daniel Lawrence Taylor
The show missed a trick but maybe I thought he was good in Timewasters.

View user profile
@burrunjor wrote:Take a look at these clips of him as the character Wadsworth.

Interestingly, Leonard Rossiter was the original choice for Wadsworth. No doubt he'd have brought a similar sort of manic physicality and energy to the role, but he snuffed it before production started.

He'd have made a decent Doctor too.

View user profile

13 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:14 am

@iank wrote:Hmm, can't see that. Goldblum seems like a classic Tom-like option to me, while MacNicol would very much be in the Pat/Sylv mould. Wink

Leonard Nimoy? I quite like him but not sure, wasn't he lined for the Spielberg film version?

View user profile

14 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:24 am

Mr. Happy wrote:
@iank wrote:Hmm, can't see that. Goldblum seems like a classic Tom-like option to me, while MacNicol would very much be in the Pat/Sylv mould. Wink

Leonard Nimoy? I quite like him but not sure, wasn't he lined for the Spielberg film version?

No he was going to direct it, and pitched a tv version to the BBC. His choice for the film was Alan Rickman, though he also considered Tim Curry and Anthony Head too for both the film and tv version.

Nimoy was a fan of DW, and spent weeks researching it to make sure he understood the show and character before he was going to do the film. The film sadly didn't sound that great. Its not terrible or anything, its just that it was a fairly generic idea of a quest through time with the Doctor fighting another evil Time Lord (as they couldn't get the rights to the Master for some reason).

The tv version he wanted to make in the 90s which would have been a proper sequel would have been excellent however, but the Beeb rejected his pitch.

Imagine if Spock had revived DW with Tim Curry. Good God that would have been fabulous. So much better than what we got in 2005 or in all fairness 1996.

View user profile
Tm Vine Wink

View user profile
@Boofer wrote:
@burrunjor wrote:Take a look at these clips of him as the character Wadsworth.

Interestingly, Leonard Rossiter was the original choice for Wadsworth. No doubt he'd have brought a similar sort of manic physicality and energy to the role, but he snuffed it before production started.

He'd have made a decent Doctor too.

"He does a great Leonard Rossiter."

"Okay right everybody shut up, shut up, once I get going I never stop. OHHHHH MRSSSSS JOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNESSSSSSSSSS OHHHHHHH MRSSSSSSS JOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

"Well that was incredible"

"thank you"

"I've never seen anyone clear a restuarant so quickly."

Rik Mayall would also have made a brilliant Doctor too. Rik was a really good serious actor. Anybody here seen Rik Mayall presents?

He plays a few straight guy roles in it and he's really good. Apparently Rik whilst obviously being very appreciative of his fans, did always want to show people that he could be serious actor, and regretted typecasting himself somewhat as the grotesques.

Had he been cast as the Doctor I think he would have been another Jon Pertwee and been deadly serious, straight forward and likable.

Of course had he played it as Lord Flashheart that would have been brilliant too.

"Always treat your TARDIS like you treat your woman. Get inside her 5 times a day and make her see stars!"

The best choices for the 21st century Doctors would have been.

Dylan Moran as a grumpy, Hartnell style Doctor.

Tim Curry as the big Tom Baker crazy wild eyed Doctor.

Rik Mayall as the serious, Pertwee style Doctor.

Damian Molony as the younger more Davison type Doctor.

Robert Carlyle as the big angry, Colin Baker style Doctor.

The modern Masters meanwhile should have been Aidan Gillan, Simon Templeman and Charles Dance, whilst the modern Rani's should have been Juliet Aubrey and Lucy Lawless, whilst Rassilon should have been Brian Blessed, Morven Christie as Susan, and for Romana, Ingrid Oliver, Rachel Shelley and Dawn Steele would have been excellent.

IMO apart from Matt and Peter, they miscast all of the Doctors and Masters. The companions have been pretty good for the most part, though they have given a lot of them the same bland impossible girl persona.

View user profile
Mayall was great as a charismatic and super-smart Detective Inspector in the Jonathan Creek 1998 Xmas Special Black Canary too.
He reprised the role in the 2010s for one of the specials, but Renwick had gone well off the boil by then and he was also rather hampered by the fact he'd unexpectedly broken his leg prior to filming and had to be stuck in a wheelchair the whole time.

View user profile
Christopher Walken has been my dream actor to play the Doctor ever since I was a child. I know its completely unrealistic and would never happen, but I think he would make a fantastic Doctor. He's an excellent actor and would easily bring a very creepy, alien vibe to the character. If I was in charge of casting him I'd make his incarnation a mix between the 4th and 6th Doctors. Have him start out as a pompous, arrogant cunt, but at the same time make him act really eccentric and unpredictable. I think he would be absolutely brilliant.

View user profile

19 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:14 am

Another actor I always wanted to see play the Doctor in the 90s was Anthony Stewart Head.

I think he would have been a Jon Pertwee style Doctor, a dynamic, physical, angry, ultra serious hero, smarter than everybody else, and a lot older. Plus he also does the father/daughter thing really well as seen with his relationship with Buffy.

Just imagine it. In the 90s DW gets revived by someone like John Carpenter, with of course Terry Nation, Verity Lambert serving as consultants and we get.

Dylan Moran as angry, bastard Colin Baker/William Hartnell style Doctor.

Ron Moody as an impish, mischevious, crazy Patrick Troughton, Sylvester McCoy style Doctor.

Tony Head as a dashing, older, serious, charismatic, Pertwee style Doctor, who can still kick your ass even though he is an old guy, and is fiercely protective of and paternal towards his young female companions.

And finally Tim Curry as the most popular, crazy, over the top, Tom Baker style Doctor.

We also of course keep Matt Smith and Karen Gillan and Freema Agyeman, have a Romana spin off with Ingrid Oliver, Amber Benson and Dawn Steele as the Romana's, Aiden Gillan and Simon Templeman and Robert Carlyle as the Masters, and have Bruce Campbell as the final 13th Doctor and then call it a day when his Doctor snuffs it taking out the Daleks. Let the BBC reboot it after that in which they can have all the female Doctors, Masters who are gay for the Doctor, Impossible cunts, PC, feminist bullshit they want as its not the same version of the character anymore.

So annoyed the Fitzroy Tavern cucks got it instead and cast all of their mates, Eccelston, Tennant, and Capaldi regardless of whether they were right for it (which lets be honest, Eccelston who played it as a dour, miserable, joyless bastard, and Tennant who played it as a spunk haired, hypocritical, blubbing lothario were NOT), before crowbarring a woman with the charisma of a squashed apricot into the role for MUH representation Sad

View user profile
Paul Darrow.

21 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:05 am

CommanderMaxil1983 wrote:Paul Darrow.

Oh good choice. I remember in the 00s he said he'd be very interested in playing the role with Sarah Michelle Gellar as his companion. THAT would have been fricking awesome!

Paul Darrow would also have made a brilliant Master.

I also think it could have been interesting to have had Paul Darrow play a companion to the Doctor who it could be hinted was Avon. You'd never reveal that he was Avon of course, so as not to ruin it for people that don't want B7 and DW to take place in the same universe. Still you could maybe throw hints, like he is living under a false name like the Doctor, he is a former rebel, who was part of a resistance movement that ended terribly and he was the only survivor.

That might have been quite interesting. I'm amazed they never tried that and had a character from another series be the Doctors companion? There were rumours at one point of Rimmer of all characters being the Doctors companion. Seriously! Probably just as well that never happened, but still as the Doctor can travel between universes and visit any time you'd think he would be more open to crossovers than any other character.

View user profile

22 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Richard Griffith's would have made a good Doctor. I've read he was mentioned as a possible Doctor at one point.

23 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Kaled hygiene wrote:Richard Griffith's would have made a good Doctor. I've read he was mentioned as a possible Doctor at one point.

He wouldn't have been the most mobile of Doctors.

Having said that, it might've increased the jeopardy of some scenes.

Not his fault, btw. He was so skinny as a kid that doctors decided to fuck with his pituitary gland.

I can envisage him wobbling around corridors, gasping for breath and stopping for a quick foie gras on water biscuit washed down with a jéroboam of Chateauneuf Du Pape.

View user profile

24 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 pm

I think Cartmel mooted him as a possible replacement for Sylv in that article they did on the unmade season 27 in DWM, though whether he was ever seriously under consideration or it was just a latterday "he'd have been good" thought I dunno.

View user profile

25 Re: Who would have liked to see play the Doctor? on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:48 am

What about Philip Madoc?

He played a load of villains in Who, but was definitely one of the finest British actors of the 20th century. His turn as Lloyd George is one of the greatest TV performances I've ever seen.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum