The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

Series 11

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 37 of 40]

901 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm

Regardless of how all of us may feel about The Castrated Man Who Fell to Earth, I think one thing we can all unanimously agree on is how incredibly awesome the new theme song is.

By far the best NuWho theme they've ever done in my opinion.

View user profile

902 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Okay finally gave into temptation, and I'm glad I did. It just conforms not to watch it again.

Jesus Christ that was terrible.

To start with Jodie was AWFUL! Her zaniness was so forced, it involved gurning, picking her nose, and garbling her words out to the point where no one could understand them. Also when she unveiled her outfit I laughed. Its as bad as Colin Bakers. Might actually be worse!

The story was non existent. What happened in it for the first 20 minutes? Even when the villain showed up he was so boring and silly. A turnip that hatches into a Predator rip off?

Also people saying there wasn't anything political are you serious? There were only I think two white men in it! And they were both made out to be pathetic cowards with the crane guy who DeadManRising is right was AWFUL "I AM SPECIAL!"

Bradley was also the dumb one hiding behind his wife all the time.

The only reason I bring this up the lack of white people among the cast, is because Chinballs is the one who keeps going on about how he wants the show to be the most diverse series in the world, and in his first episode, a story set in a majority white country, has about two white guys in it?

Ultimately it didn't bother me for that episode, as thankfully a big deal wasn't made out of it unlike if it had been Moff writing it, but I shudder to think where it will go later episodes with Rosa Parks.  

The companions were the only passable things and even then they were bland. They weren't annoying at least like Jodie, but that's not saying much.

That was their first episode? That was the big one and they wrote the most generic shit. Sorry but a theme song (that's still not a patch on the best from the original.) Is not enough for me to watch this. If I want to I'll just google it on youtube and you should too!

View user profile

903 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Thank god I got Once Upon A Time season 7 today on DVD. It will be good to watch some decent genre tv and some charismatic leading ladies and men like Lana Parilla and Robert Carlyle.

View user profile

904 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Well there is a political bias at the heart of the show now, but there was nothing explicit, à la, 'white people,' which is what surprised me.

But yes, a subtraction of men and white people - and those that are present and are not villains, I expect to be feminized NuMales for the NuGeneration.
To be fair I see it as a projection of Chinball's insecurities, I pity the guy ... or I would if he wasn't attempting to destroy the image of a show I adore.

View user profile

905 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:59 pm

@DeadManRising wrote:Regardless of how all of us may feel about The Castrated Man Who Fell to Earth, I think one thing we can all unanimously agree on is how incredibly awesome the new theme song is.

Great rendition, but meaningless now that other elements of the show are almost unrecognisable.

View user profile

906 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 pm

@DeadManRising wrote:Regardless of how all of us may feel about The Castrated Man Who Fell to Earth, I think one thing we can all unanimously agree on is how incredibly awesome the new theme song is.

I thought it was hideous!

View user profile

907 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:23 pm

View user profile

908 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:57 pm

@burrunjor wrote:Okay finally gave into temptation, and I'm glad I did. It just conforms not to watch it again.

Jesus Christ that was terrible.

To start with Jodie was AWFUL! Her zaniness was so forced, it involved gurning, picking her nose, and garbling her words out to the point where no one could understand them. Also when she unveiled her outfit I laughed. Its as bad as Colin Bakers. Might actually be worse!

The story was non existent. What happened in it for the first 20 minutes? Even when the villain showed up he was so boring and silly. A turnip that hatches into a Predator rip off?

Also people saying there wasn't anything political are you serious? There were only I think two white men in it! And they were both made out to be pathetic cowards with the crane guy who DeadManRising is right was AWFUL "I AM SPECIAL!"

Bradley was also the dumb one hiding behind his wife all the time.

The only reason I bring this up the lack of white people among the cast, is because Chinballs is the one who keeps going on about how he wants the show to be the most diverse series in the world, and in his first episode, a story set in a majority white country, has about two white guys in it?

Ultimately it didn't bother me for that episode, as thankfully a big deal wasn't made out of it unlike if it had been Moff writing it, but I shudder to think where it will go later episodes with Rosa Parks.  

The companions were the only passable things and even then they were bland. They weren't annoying at least like Jodie, but that's not saying much.

That was their first episode? That was the big one and they wrote the most generic shit. Sorry but a theme song (that's still not a patch on the best from the original.) Is not enough for me to watch this. If I want to I'll just google it on youtube and you should too!

Thank God you haven't lost your mind, I was beginning to think everyone had drunk the Kool-Aid. It was watchable if uninteresting until "she" turned up, at which point it became excrutiating. Seriously, I could not stand two minutes of her. Everything from the hyper performance to the accent to the typical NuPoo moron dialogue... ugh.
Spare me.

And yes, that theme is shit too.

But I did enjoy Who on Sunday.
Ambassadors was awesome! Big Grin

View user profile

909 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:23 pm

That was excellent.

View user profile

910 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:27 pm

It's still inferior to every classic debut story. Honestly, Twin Dilemma shits all over it. That story is probably the most unique and suspenseful post-regeneration tale. It also has a proper Doctor in it. Characters like Hugo Lang and Azmeal are far better written and more interesting than anyone in TWWFTE and the structure of the story is less messy and coherent. The only aspect of TWWFTE that's on par with Dilemma is the music.

Last edited by Maxil McCoy on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

911 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:28 pm

Thank God you haven't lost your mind, I was beginning to think everyone had drunk the Kool-Aid. It was watchable if uninteresting until "she" turned up, at which point it became excrutiating. Seriously, I could not stand two minutes of her. Everything from the hyper performance to the accent to the typical NuPoo moron dialogue... ugh.
Spare me.

And yes, that theme is shit too.

But I did enjoy Who on Sunday.
Ambassadors was awesome!

LOL thanks, tbf I don't think anyone here liked it, I think the consensus among our fine establishment is more just that it wasn't as bad as the recent dregs of the Moffat era. I mean compared to Twice Upon A Time and Death in Heaven it was a masterpiece.

Also I will be fair, I still don't think Jodie was as bad as Missy. I don't like a female Doctor for well explored reasons.

I just couldn't connect her to the previous 13, and I really tried, and I don't think anyone could if they're honest. Yes you could obviously imagine a woman doing Doctory things like be the smartest in the room, be brave, beat up the badguys etc, OBVIOUSLY no one ever said a woman couldn't do that. But having a woman specifically be the same person as Pertwee, Hartnell, Troughton etc, no, its too jarring. (Which again is why a Romana show would have been a fantastic compromise for everybody even the SJWs.)

Added to that, yes Jodie is terrible, and the reasons behind it, the makers, the vile SJW fandom like Paul Cornell, Claudia Boleyn (sorry her man hating comments have pissed me off too much.) And Whovian Feminism all make me hate Doctor No 13.

However that said Jodie's Doctor could only have been as bad as Missy if she had actually called herself the Nurse, or the Doctoress, or if she had beaten the badguy by snogging him, if she'd got all weepy when bad things happened, and if she'd dressed like Chibnalls weird kinky fantasy, and got jealous of the male companion liking the female companion more.

Those were all things Moff actually did with Missy! Sorry I know this is my hate obsesseion, but it still angers me that he not only got away with that, but actually thinks he convinced us all with Missy that a female Doctor was a good idea!

View user profile

912 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:35 pm

Maxil McCoy wrote:It's still inferior to every classic debut story. Honestly, Twin Dilemma shits all over it. That story was probably the most unique and suspenseful post-regeneration tale. It also has a proper Doctor in it. Characters like Hugo Lang and Azmeal are far better written and more interesting than anyone in TWWFTE and the structure of the story is less messy and coherent. The only aspect of TWWFTE that's on par with Dilemma is the music.

I'd say the Woman Who Fell To Earth is vastly inferior to every New Who debut too, with the possible exception of Deep Breath.

The Eleventh Hour is brilliant. Rose was okay. Not a classic, but a decent enough story. David Tennant was also better in The Christmas Invasion when he beats up the Sycrocrax.

Deep Breath meanwhile had more of a plot, but there were so many cringey moments. Clara fantasising about gay orgies, Clara and Madame Vastra's comments about flirting, the Doctor calling a T-Rex a big sexy woman, and mentioning that's how he picks up girls, Capaldi begging Clara to look after him, and Moffat having a wank as he writes Vastra drawing Jenny are among the cringiest moments in Who's history.

Also Deep Breath introduced Missy, the single worst character in the history of the show, (yes Jodie still doesn't beat her.) So yeah its a toss up between these two shit stains for the worst opening to any Who story (which is no meant feat considering one opening in Classic Who had the Doctor play spoons over Kate O'Mara's tits!)

View user profile

913 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 pm

@burrunjor wrote: So yeah its a toss up between these two shit stains for the worst opening to any Who story (which is no meant feat considering one opening in Classic Who had the Doctor play spoons over Kate O'Mara's tits!)

That bit was funny LOL

914 Re: Series 11 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 pm

View user profile

915 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 am

I'm amazed at the positive response this is getting.

I think it's a classic example of managing expectations.

Everyone expected it to be shittier than a skid mark in Moffwatt's underpants, so the fact that it wasn't the worst episode of NuPoo is greeted with a great sigh of relief and the delusional belief that it wasn't bad.

I don't have a problem with a female Doctor.  I think it's a shame they didn't do it when it was first mooted prior to Tom leaving.  And I thought Joanna Lumley and Jonathan Pryce were the best things about Fatal Death.

But this was crap.

Some of the special effects and cinematography were nice but the only thing that was genuinely and consistently good was the incidental music.

It wouldn't be hard to improve on what's gone before since everything Murray Gold did sounded like Charlie Cairoli farting through a bassoon, but Segun Akinola is probably the best composer since Nathan-Turner fired Dudley.  Shame the theme didn't get anywhere near the same standard.

Everything else was rubbish.

It's supposed to be a sci-fi/horror show but we're back with the usual RTD-era soap opera welded on to the slackest, most flaccid plot imaginable and, again like RTD, composed of rehashed bits from other shows and movies thrown at a wall like shit to see what sticks.

Despite the gender swap, the NuPoo dick-waving persists.  "I'm the Doctor, I help people, I'm here to save the day, get off this planet..."  Jesus Christ, give it a rest.

The Predator pushes teeth into its own face?  How many humans has it killed?  Or do all alien life forms have teeth like humans?  So it's this armoured hi-tech alien sent to kill a defenceless human and then it gets to be leader of its own planet?  Wow.  That makes so much sense.

What's the special guy doing pissing around in a tower crane at midnight?  Bar the sacrificial guard, why are there staff hanging round a tower crane storage depot at midnight?  Why do they evacuate because two random duffers tell them to?

Where is the online video that shows you how to operate a tower crane in 5 seconds?  It's a feature of online videos that it takes some wittering fuck-wit forty-seven minutes to tell you how to scratch your own arse.

The gormless wankiness of this whole sequence reminds me of Chibnall's Titlurian episode where a major drilling operating is run by two folks in a garden shed in Wales and detente between humans and Titlurians is signified by Meera Syal doing Riverdance.

26 minutes in, the Doctor says, "I would of".  

If you were going to jury-rig a sonic screwdriver, surely the electronics are the important part.  With a murderous alien running round, would you really waste time constructing a makeshift forge to weld two spoons together for a casing?  Wouldn't you just grab a length of copper pipe, a bit of steel box section or a tampon applicator?

(And, of course, no way is Chinball just reheating the scene from the first Iron Man movie where Stark makes the prototype armour in a cave. And the alien pod isn't Spearhead.  And Jodie and the hammer isn't Ecclescake and the hammer.)

Why does the black guy have to tell the Asian police woman that she's turning the crane in the wrong direction?  She says she knows but she's still doing it and the bloody thing only turns two ways.  With a joystick, FFS.

Is Sheffield really so crime-free that she can radio in and ask for exciting assignments and then bugger off on an alien-hunting jaunt without being missed?  

Any sense of threat the Predator might represent is completely undermined by Bubble constantly referring to it as Tim Shaw.

This is a line from Genesis written by Terry Nation:

Davros... if you had created a virus in your laboratory, something contagious and infectious that killed on contact, a virus that would destroy all other forms of life, would you allow its use?

This is the same line improved by Chibnall:

If you had created a virus in your laboratory, something contagious and infectious that killed on contact, a virus that would destroy all other forms of life, would you allow its use... Dave Ross?

And the costume.  God, the costume. It's like someone said to Chibnall, "You couldn't make it worse than Colin Baker's."  And Chibnall fixed them with a steely glare and said, "Look at my wig!"

View user profile

916 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:18 am

LOL

View user profile

917 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 am

Read the comments under this ridiculous propaganda article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45763549

View user profile

918 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:08 am

@burrunjor wrote:LOL thanks, tbf I don't think anyone here liked it

I did. No Kool-Aid required, I found it passable and certainly not the great work of art people are pretending it is on Youtube, but it isn't a steaming shit show either.

View user profile

919 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 am

The BBC tend to remove the odd anti-PC or critical comments on its forums. Bit difficult to do that when about 90% of the opinions are negative!

920 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:41 am

Didn't watch it and have no intention of doing so either.
Chibnall can fucking go do one, fucking Michael Grade arse sucking cunt.

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

921 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:57 am

@iank wrote:I was beginning to think everyone had drunk the Kool-Aid.

Huh?

Almost every single review here ranged from calling the episode "absolutely terrible" to "mediocre at best". Only around two or three users here actually said that they liked it.

Just because most of the users here didn't switch it off within the first ten minutes like you did and immediately proclaim it to be the worst thing ever doesn't mean that we've been drinking the Kool-Aid, iank.

View user profile

922 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:12 am

Honestly I think the politics surrounding it are distracting even nay-sayers from seeing just how bad the episode was. It wasn't even memorable. With essentially any other NuWho episode I can think back to a particular scene or moment, or instance of design that might attract me to watching it - with this, I can't. And this is a debut.

View user profile

923 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:28 am

One thing about Jodie is that she's entertaining sans aucun doute. I think a great test of implicit acting talent can be found in the silent freeze-frame, and for that Jodie is no slacker.

Behold the raw intellect exuding. You can literally feel the innumerable parallel thoughts as she composes of the scientific arts in her mind.

View user profile

924 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

LOL

View user profile

925 Re: Series 11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:48 am

I watched this again and it’s as fucking dull as dishwater. I mentioned on my post that I thought it was okay but that’s probably because I thought the incidental music was brilliant and back to the eerie synth music of the Radiophonic Workshop.

Watching Jodie Whittaker play the role of The Doctor was a very cringe worthy experience and I just cannot take her serious. I must admit every time she spoke I burst out laughing because she reminded me of a cross between Jane Horrocks from Absolutely Fabulous and Raquel Watts from Coronation Street.

The only good things on the new episode were the production and the brilliant music which pisses over anything Murray Gold did. However, I have this awful feeling that the music will return to the horrible farty brass band music in later episodes.

Last edited by Arthur Stengos on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 37 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum