The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

What did William Hartnell Think Of Tom Baker

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 What did William Hartnell Think Of Tom Baker on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:03 pm

I was just wondering. Tom was the last Doctor Hartnell would have seen and we know what he thought of both Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee. His widow Heather said that he watched all of Troughton's era, and whilst he didn't see that many of Jon Pertwee's stories, he did like him.

Still sadly there is nothing about what he thought of Tom which is kind of a bit weird.

He wouldn't have seen much of Tom. He died right at the end of his first year, and sadly he spent his last few months in a hospital apparently.

Still he would have seen a bit of him and he would have known that he was cast. Are there ANY sources about what he thought about such a young guy playing his role for instance?

There is so little you can find about William Hartnell's last few years online which is a shame. Obviously much of it was sad due to his declining health, and even just how bad he felt at being made to leave a role he loved so much, but at the same time I'd imagine he was probably quite happy to see how long it lasted.

View user profile
Hartnell was so non-compos-mentis by the end, and that built up over years, that I doubt he would have seen it let alone been in a state to be interviewed or have the where with all to understand the images on the TV screen.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Hartnell#Later_life_and_death:
His health had worsened during the early 1970s, and in December 1974 he was admitted to hospital permanently. In early 1975 he suffered a series of strokes brought on by cerebrovascular disease, and died in his sleep of heart failure on 23 April 1975, at the age of 67.[22]

So he was admitted at the time that Robot began broadcasting.

View user profile

View user profile
Mr. Happy wrote:https://twitter.com/spankybackpack/status/946436101891395586

Great piece of Who History there

Interesting. Is that the hospital that Hartnell was admitted to in the last few months of his life? Just asking as you brought it up in this thread.

View user profile
@burrunjor wrote:
Mr. Happy wrote:https://twitter.com/spankybackpack/status/946436101891395586

Great piece of Who History there

Interesting. Is that the hospital that Hartnell was admitted to in the last few months of his life? Just asking as you brought it up in this thread.

No idea, it has kids in so I suspect not. This thread was vaguely related to 'The Robot' and it didn't really seem worth starting another thread for.

View user profile
I think Bill Hartnell probably would have appreciated Tom's early creative energy and drive in the role - plus Tom used his 'eye acting' well and made his fourth Doctor rather 'snappy' and 'sulky' at times which were exact traits of Hartnell's own first Doctor and something he'd have spotted (if well etc) and probably approved of as Tom was keeping the character faithfully accurate in a number of key aspects and indeed harking BACK to the first Doctor a bit more in those respects

now...I wonder what Hartnell would have thought of Steven Moffat ?

View user profile
@sanchez ll wrote:I think Bill Hartnell probably would have appreciated Tom's early creative energy and drive in the role - plus Tom used his 'eye acting' well and made his fourth Doctor rather 'snappy' and 'sulky' at times which were exact traits of Hartnell's  own first Doctor and something he'd have spotted (if well etc) and probably approved of as Tom was keeping the character faithfully accurate in a number of key aspects and indeed harking BACK to the first Doctor a bit more in those respects

Nice analysis, its such a shame that Hartnell didn't really get to see Tom in action that much.

As for Moffat LOL. Hartnell would have hated every single thing about his version of DW.

To start with he would have been pissed at Moff doing all he could to throw out every single aspect of his character.

The mystery, by telling us every single detail of why he ran away, and why he became eccentric, crazy, etc.

The fact that he was a friendly old grandfatherly figure by having him fall in love with Clara, boast about all the bad girls he's shagged, boast about having bondagey sex with River Song. To be fair he isn't the only one who did that, but he kept it up.

He also rewrote the Doctor to being gender neutral, and set things up for him to become a woman, which again is at odds with Hartnell's character who was very much an old fashioned, grandfatherly, gentlemanly figure.

The current sex crazed, non binary, female Doctor who ran away because of a prophecy about a hybrid that was actually he and Clara who loved each other so much they would destroy everything, is about as far removed from Hartnell's character as can be imagined.

As you say the great thing about Tom's Doctor was that he was faithful to the original Doctor, but so were all of the first 7.

The whole point of regeneration wasn't that each Doctor is a totally new person. It was really an advanced form of healing. His body broke down and repaired itself, but took on a new appearance, and as a result of living in a new body, his outer persona would change somewhat, but the point is that he was the same man underneath.

If they had wanted them to be different characters, then they could have easily just had another member of the Doctors race take up his legacy when Hartnell left and so on and so on.

Regeneration was to make sure that the same character could go on and that's why whilst all actors made the role their own, they never went against that template Hartnell established.

Terrance Dicks said the single most important thing was to never change the Doctors character too much. Tom Baker also said that the role was the most limited he ever played as there were so many things he couldn't do.

All of the Doctors in Classic Who are believable as still being Hartnell. The all as different as they might seem on the surface, have the same desire to explore, the same moral code (that he develops later of never killing unless in self defence) the same air of mystery around their origins, the same habit of travelling with young girls as a companion (Vicki, Victoria, Zoe, Jo, Nyssa, Ace), because they are clearly a surrogate figure for Susan.

Even physically they all dress in the same Edwardian/Victorian era frock coats, wear hats and have long, flowing hair.

Hartnell's character was kept alive for so long by so many great actors and writers and then the new self loathing fanboy clique did all they could to get it away from Hartnell's character which is utterly disgraceful.

Even before the SJW crap. Eccelston and Tennant are too modern looking, don't dress right, and lust after women only a few years older than Susan. Tennant also treats each Doctor as a different person too with his I don't want to go bullshit, which means that there doesn't have to be any similarity between them, which was NEVER the attitude before.

"Your appearance has changed before it will change again"

"You can't just change what I look like without consulting me"

"You will be allowed to choose what you look like"

"Oh well that's not so bad I suppose, but I should warn you I'm very particular."

How the fuck does that fit in with the I don't want to go bullshit?

Matt Smith was the only one that Hartnell might have time for. He at least it seemed tried to carry on Hartnell's character as he dressed in the right clothes, played him as an old man in a young man's body, a scientist desperate to explore, and he thought his first series where his Doctor was horrified at Karen Gillan coming on to him was the best, as opposed to the series where he was drooling over Jenna Coleman's arse.

At the end of the day there is only so much an actor can do with shoddy scripts, but Matt at least tried to keep up Hartnell's character as best as he could.

Capaldi meanwhile, well by that point the SJW rot had set in so he was fucked from the start. Literally in his first episode Moff was more concerned as seen with Missy in making sure his replacement was a woman.

Aside from tossing his character in the bin Hartnell would have HATED the way that Moffat and RTD made a joke of his show. He was a legitimate character actor who took the character and concept seriously, and hated variety crap. When you look at things like ALLONSY, Missy Poppins, Santa showing up, the moons an egg, the Anne Droid, Hartnell would have been fucking furious.

Its just as well he never saw New Who.

View user profile
@sanchez ll wrote:

He would have hated him for casting David Bradley. You know Moffat would have still cast David Bradly over Hartnell cos Moffat has to put his mark on everything Sad

View user profile
Is this Heather Hartnell in Bessie with Tom?

https://twitter.com/FubsyShabaroon/status/964232877423710208

View user profile

10 Re: What did William Hartnell Think Of Tom Baker on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:20 am

Not sure...could be a local councilor or official.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum