You are not connected. Please login or register

Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time? on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:06 am

I was just wondering why the Third Doctor was the only one of the Classic Who Doctors never to get a Cyberman story.

Was just an oversight or was their a specific reason for it?

View user profile

2 Re: Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time? on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:09 am

Terrance Dicks thinks they're crap. They're only in Five Doctors so much because Saward likes them. Big Grin

View user profile

3 Re: Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time? on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:08 am

The Vault by Marcus Hearn (from BBC Books) on P.95 shows a concept drawing for Cybermen who were to appear in Frontier in Space instead of Ogrons

Top right corner, image quality is crap

You can pick the book up for 0.01p + p&p on Amazon

View user profile

4 Re: Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time? on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:37 am

A lone Cyberman is glimpsed on the miniscope screen in 'Carnival of Monsters' but otherwise they notably completely vanish from the show from Patrick Troughton's story  'The Wheel in Space' until their return in Tom Baker's era for 'Revenge...'

I think besides Dicks feelings the overall view was probably that the Cybermen were 'sixties' Dr.Who and essentially were Troughton's big foe just as the Daleks had been William Hartnell's (they also vanished from the show for quite a long time too for other reasons but at least they returned in 1972)

The Master was very much THE 'Pertwee foe' - but he was vastly overplayed appearing in EVERY story of Pertwee's second 1971 season tho' thankfully they made it work but later Barry Letts admitted he went OTT featuring the (very easy to use) Master too much in 1971

so with Dicks apparently not keen on the Cybermen and the show in a new decade and colour era I suspect the Cybermen for a long time went the way of the purely historical adventures (shelved by producer Innes Lloyd after 'The Highlanders' in early 1967)

ALL such moves were mistakes really as the show should never 'limit' itself and I think they later on tried to compensate for the lack of any proper Pertwee v Cybermen somewhat in 'The Five Doctors' - tho' by then the Cybermen had become far too easy to kill - both the Rassilon warrior robot and board game massacre them !

sadly over time the Cybermen have been reduced in threat level, becoming far too easy to kill and reduced to just 'lumbering clodhoppers' who get zapped en mass on cue in too many tales even back in the classic era of the show

The Cybermen like Daleks massively need a  proper 'foe overhaul' in order to make them their own masters again, almost impossible to kill, and FAR more serious a threat again as both originally were in the sixties

View user profile

5 Re: Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time? on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:07 am

@Mr. Happy wrote:

The Vault by Marcus Hearn (from BBC Books) on P.95 shows a concept drawing for Cybermen who were to appear in Frontier in Space instead of Ogrons

Top right corner, image quality is crap

You can pick the book up for 0.01p + p&p on Amazon

WOW Cybermen in Frontier in Space would have been amazing! Daleks, Cybermen and the Master in the one story all working together, none of them being undermined. Why didn't they do that? It also would have been a great way to celebrate the tenth anniversary. All 3 big villains in the one story.

Obviously I'm assuming that they wouldn't have made the Cybermen the Daleks servants. I wouldn't have liked that. They would have had to be the Master and the Daleks allies, with all 3 evidently planning to stab each other in the back somehow once the earth and Draconian empires were completely fucked, but the Doctor would obviously destroy their plans first.

Think of the possibilities for spin off material. A war between humanity, the Draconians and the Daleks and the Cybermen.

View user profile

6 Re: Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time? on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:10 pm

No idea why they were dropped. Probably for the reason you said about making them subservient to the Daleks. DWM's Essential Cybermen also mentions the plan to incorporate them into this serial, perhaps there is a bit more information in there if anybody has a copy? Page 113

View user profile

7 Re: Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time? on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:42 pm

You could have had The Master playing them off against each other! Oh well.

View user profile

8 Re: Why no Cybermen in Jon Pertwee's time? on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:58 pm

The latest graphic novel had a punt with it, if I remember correctly...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum