You are not connected. Please login or register

Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Bernard Marx

Pertwee was a superb Doctor. The gentlemanly yet ultimately flamboyant nature to his character encompasses the character in all the best ways (in ways the New Who Doctors have never come close to), and the politics of his era, though not always subtle, were always intelligently portrayed and never overtly patronised the viewer. As many here have acknowledged, it’s hardly surprising that the New Who fans at GB can’t see this, given their alleged limited capacity for any form of critical analysis. More than anything, his era represented a period where the programme was genuinely grown up (especially in season 7), never resorting to the patronising toilet humour adopted during New Who (especially during RTD’s era) and instead dedicating itself to telling thought provoking stories which tapped into their respective zeitgeist without pandering to the conservative mantras of popculture (as with all of New Who). Although I’d rank Tom, Hartnell and Troughton over Pertwee, his era is still great, and the most consistent of all of them alongside the remainder of the first four Doctors.

Oh- and everything from season 7 is light years ahead of anything from New Who, and is possibly my favourite of all time.

27Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Mercury

Mercury
Although his era is my second least favorite of the original show (with the exception of Season 7), Pertwee is a great Doctor and he (and S7) really helped bring the show into the 1970s.

28Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 pm

Bernard Marx

@Mercury wrote:Although his era is my second least favorite of the original show (with the exception of Season 7), Pertwee is a great Doctor and he (and S7) really helped bring the show into the 1970s.

What’s your least favourite of the original show, might I ask?

29Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:39 pm

Mercury

Mercury
@Bernard Marx wrote:
@Mercury wrote:Although his era is my second least favorite of the original show (with the exception of Season 7), Pertwee is a great Doctor and he (and S7) really helped bring the show into the 1970s.

The Davison era, I like all eras of the original series, but these two are the ones that just aren't as entertaining as the others. As stated above in my original comment, I like his Doctor and I love Season 7, but its just the tone change after 7 that I find frustrating, not to mention the UNIT stories in my opinion felt a little stale by S11.

30Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:45 am

iank

iank
I kind of agree with Mercury on those. Very Happy

31Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 am

Ronnie

Ronnie
@Mike wrote:the guy visits gentlemen's clubs!

But does he?
Perhaps the Doctor just claimed to know Tubby Rowlands in order to put off Brownrose.

At any rate, the points have been well made in the 3rd Doctor's favour. As for the NuWho fans on the 'American' website... I couldn't have put it better than Iank.

32Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:04 am

Bernard Marx

@Mercury wrote:
@Bernard Marx wrote:

The Davison era, I like all eras of the original series, but these two are the ones that just aren't as entertaining as the others. As stated above in my original comment, I like his Doctor and I love Season 7, but its just the tone change after 7 that I find frustrating, not to mention the UNIT stories in my opinion felt a little stale by S11.
Agreed about Davison’s era, though I still quite like it. I think the tone change becomes especially distracting if you watch the era in order- I try to put it in the back of my mind whilst watching later Pertwee seasons as to judge the stories more objectively. Although I do wish that the season 7 style had carried on for another year or so, given how awesome it was, and the cosy style of later seasons becomes irritating when at its absolute worst (e.g. The Time Monster). I still really rather enjoy his later seasons, regardless, though I wonder if it could have been the greatest ever had the season 7 style and template remained and become all the more refined.

33Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:15 am

iank

iank
Agreed. That style has aged far better than most of the rest too. Even the Kazoo music in Silurians doesn't perturb too much because of the grittiness of it all.

34Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:05 am

stengos

stengos
@iank wrote:Agreed. That style has aged far better than most of the rest too. Even the Kazoo music in Silurians doesn't perturb too much because of the grittiness of it all.

I love the silurians. Great performances all round and at 7 episodes it somehow doesn't feel too long.

But I think the kazoo music was awful. Misjudged, distracting and mood destroying in places.

35Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Mott1

I read something interesting in Leslie Phillips' autobiography. He said that Jon Pertwee was one of the most gifted and natural entertainers he ever met (and he met a few) but despite them becoming friends he felt Jon didn't ever have the ambition to match that talent.

36Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:02 am

Genkimonk

Genkimonk
Not just a great doctor, but also a fantastic man.

I think I've shared this before. When I was a child I spent most of my childhood in and out of hospital having eye surgery. My mum got me into DW during those lengthy stays, and I became hooked on the VHSs. I especially liked Jon Pertwee's doctor.

Secretly, my mother arranged for Jon to come to the hospital in Manchester when he was doing a convention. He came in full costume and stayed for 3 hours. Just talking and telling me stories. Sometimes in character, sometimes about himself.

I met him again and Manaptican III, and he remembered me and asked how I was going. He then arranged with my mother to be a pen pal, and every time I went into hospital my mother notified him, and sure enough, he write a letter. I have these letters to this day. But I was requested by his wife to keep them private, and I respect her wishes.

A really good bloke.

37Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:41 am

stengos

stengos
@Genkimonk wrote:Not just a great doctor, but also a fantastic man.

I think I've shared this before. When I was a child I spent most of my childhood in and out of hospital having eye surgery. My mum got me into DW during those lengthy stays, and I became hooked on the VHSs. I especially liked Jon Pertwee's doctor.

Secretly, my mother arranged for Jon to come to the hospital in Manchester when he was doing a convention. He came in full costume and stayed for 3 hours. Just talking and telling me stories. Sometimes in character, sometimes about himself.

I met him again and Manaptican III, and he remembered me and asked how I was going. He then arranged with my mother to be a pen pal, and every time I went into hospital my mother notified him, and sure enough, he write a letter. I have these letters to this day. But I was requested by his wife to keep them private, and I respect her wishes.

A really good bloke.

Really nice story.

And i hope you are fully recovered from those days.

38Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor - Page 2 Empty Re: Jon Pertwee Was A Great Doctor on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:23 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor
@Genkimonk wrote:Not just a great doctor, but also a fantastic man.

A really good bloke.

Nice to see you posting here again. That's a lovely story. Jon Pertwee was by all accounts a generous man to his fans and co-stars, though he was also very arrogant and concieted. Not in a nasty way, but he was said to be a big show off which IMO benefited his performance as the Doctor hugely.

Jon Pertwee was also BFF with James Doohan who played Scotty on Star Trek (who was similarly devoted to his fans.) Shame there isn't any footage of them together at conventions, but you can find lots of cool pictures of the two icons together at conventions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum