You are not connected. Please login or register

Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit?

+8
REDACTED
ClockworkOcean
Mike
Zarius
iank
burrunjor
Rawkuss
Adam Ant Driver
12 posters

Well?

Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_lcap24%Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_rcap 24% [ 4 ]
Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_lcap59%Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_rcap 59% [ 10 ]
Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_lcap6%Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_lcap6%Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_rcap 6% [ 1 ]
Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_lcap0%Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_lcap5%Dalek Movies: A Great Alternate Interpretation or a Load of Old Shit? I_vote_rcap 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Adam Ant Driver

Adam Ant Driver

I'm not a fan myself, I thought the tv stories did it better.

https://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

www.theinfolist.com/php/SummaryGet.php?FindGo=Innes%20Lloyd

"They eventually cast character actor Patrick Troughton, having previously considered another actor, Peter Jeffrey, as well as Peter Cushing, who had played Dr. Who in two Dr. Who movies."

drwhointerviews.wordpress.com/category/peter-cushing/

there was an interview with Peter Cushing in which he says that the BBC talked to him about taking over on the TV series - the relevant quote is near the bottom of this page

He also mentions being asked back for a Tom Baker story, which if I remember rightly was for Dr. Solon in The Brain of Morbius.

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

For what they are they are OK. The first is just a dull retread and the second... Yeah, I suppose you could say the same but I enjoy it much more. They feel much more like H.G. Wells' The Time Machine which I prefer. I think if you remember they are aimed at different audiences it's easier to be forgiving. They are less dramatic than the series though. And have the same misplaced humour.

I also prefer the Robomen from the film adaptation with their blank stares rather than the lumbering zombies from the TV series. Cool

burrunjor

burrunjor

I love them but I don't know how much of that is down to childhood affection or not?

I think they are beautifully directed, Cushing's Who is a lovely character for kids and the Daleks are effective. They don't hold back in making them evil and parallels for the Nazi's.

IMO the second is actually better than the tv serial. Its ending makes more sense and it cuts out the fluff. Though to be fair Hartnell's good bye is the most moving moment, but still overall I think the Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD is the best of the 4 stories.

iank

iank

A load of old shit. I find them completely unwatchable myself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Zarius

Zarius

Can't go wrong with Castle and Cribbons. They steal 'em

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

The Dalek designs look taller, chunkier and more stable, making them look more intimidating. The BBC even hired three of them for The Chase which was broadcast before the film’s release. Others were sent to the Cannes Film Festival in 1965 to promote the film.

Here is a pic, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/5324276/The-golden-age-of-the-Cannes-Film-Festival.html?image=16

Mike

Mike

The movies are what got me into Who. They are pretty cack though, but I love them.

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

I like them a lot. They're a bit cheesy and dated in places, but it's all part of the charm. The direction and production design are fantastic, and it's interesting to see what both stories might have looked like with a bigger budget. The Daleks look amazing and feel appropriately threatening. Though he bears little resemblance to Hartnell's Doctor, Cushing's "Dr. Who" is a likeable character in his own right, and certainly a much more valid interpretation than any of the NuWho versions. I prefer the serials in both cases, but I'm glad the movies exist, and it's a pity Subotsky didn't get to make any more of them.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Haven't got a bad word to say about them myself. I actually like the Invasion of Earth movie more than the serial.

REDACTED

Watched both yesterday whilst I thought the first film was mostly enjoyable, it did feel rather dull in places and it was basically a more lighthearted kiddie orientated retelling of the TV story with a lot of the darker elements removed or dumbed down.

The second film on the other hand is a massive improvement, Its still rather camp and silly, but feels like its taking the material more seriously. Bernard Cribbins is a massive improvement over Roy Castle and on a superficial note, the Dalek props look better.

On a side note, both films are rather enjoyable and make good viewing for a lazy afternoon and have some elements that are better than the TV stories (Roberta Tovey's Susan is more enjoyable and likeable than CAF'S) but it is understandable why people dislike them and its just a case of each to their own.

Dr Who And The Daleks: 6/10
Daleks Invasion Earth 2150AD: 7.5/10

Boofer

Boofer

They're good fun, and they give you an idea of what Who could have been like on a larger budget.

The stories are meh, but there's shit loads of Daleks which look and sound fantastic.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Don't forget the score.

stengos

stengos

I really like them. At one point they were the closest i expected to ever get to seeing both stories in a live action format as i never thought I would see the original tv episodes made available to the general public. When the Hartnell versions were finally released on Video / DVD I had mixed feelings.

I felt the tv version for Dead Planet was superior to the cushing film. Not sure why but the first time i saw Dead Planet i was just transfixed to the screen.

On the other hand the tv version of Invasion felt like a bit of a let down after the higher production standards of the film. The tv one just felt a bit too slow, the robomen were poorly executed and some of the acting bit wooden. I do like the tv version but its just in contrast to the film which had more money behind it.  

I have always wished the film versions had kept the tv tardis interior and deleted the "kiddie" grandaughter - far too young.

Ludders

Ludders

I like them. Especially the second one.

Check out the guest appearance. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum