You are not connected. Please login or register

Is there going to be a male Xena?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:26 am

There is no equivalence between a gay male Xena and a female Doctor as a gay male Xena is primarily aimed at the gay community which according makes up 10% of the population (although, I usually hear it’s closer to 5%), whereas, women make up approximately 50% of the population.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/05/10-per-cent-population-gay-alfred-kinsey-statistics

Yes, feminism ignores minorities both inside and outside its barriers but its primary concern is bettering society for women so why would they be pushing for a gay male Xena and ignoring their primary concern? It just doesn’t follow that there should be a one in one out policy to maintain the ratio of male-to-female characters in general.

In terms of narrative and intended demographics, it doesn’t sound worthwhile. Xena is a show that is built around idolising the female form judging by the numerous scantily clad women in those clips so you would lose a huge section of the audience as it is designed for men.

In its current form, Doctor Who has a much wider demographic. And has run for much longer meaning it has to try harder to stay fresh. There are numerous Xena-type characters but the Doctor is vastly different from Ellen Ripley who as a combative female is probably closer to Xena than the Doctor. Xena, Buffy, Ripley are all American.

The Alien films are a good example of a character that shouldn’t change gender because of the various Freudian and feminist horror themes. Bond is a symbol of masculinity. Xena is designed to attract men who want to look at scantily clad women which isn’t a narrative reason to have her remain female. Conan manages alright. Buffy is subverting hero expectations, Ben the Vampire Slayer just doesn’t sound the same. But outside of the Doctor has always been a man, what narrative reason does he have to be a man in the first place?

A character that solves problems in a non-violent way by thinking around the problem.

Why let the dominant patriarchal ideology of 50 years ago affect the casting decisions of the 21st century?

View user profile

27 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Anyway, gives us your pitch for this Xena the Warrior Princess: The Musical.

LOL there have already been two musical Xena's. Both shit.

Still people I think would actually be good in a Xena remake are.

Dawn Steele



as Xena



Jill Wagner



as Alti



Margot Robbie



as Callisto



As for Ares the god of war I'm not sure? I think Leslie Jones would be absolutely perfect of course, but she's probably off filming Ghostbusters 2 sadly.

View user profile

28 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:11 pm

@Mr. Happy wrote:There is no equivalence between a gay male Xena and a female Doctor as a gay male Xena is primarily aimed at the gay community which according makes up 10% of the population (although, I usually hear it’s closer to 5%), whereas, women make up approximately 50% of the population.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/05/10-per-cent-population-gay-alfred-kinsey-statistics

Yes, feminism ignores minorities both inside and outside its barriers but its primary concern is bettering society for women so why would they be pushing for a gay male Xena and ignoring their primary concern? It just doesn’t follow that there should be a one in one out policy to maintain the ratio of male-to-female characters in general.

In terms of narrative and intended demographics, it doesn’t sound worthwhile. Xena is a show that is built around idolising the female form judging by the numerous scantily clad women in those clips so you would lose a huge section of the audience as it is designed for men.

In its current form, Doctor Who has a much wider demographic. And has run for much longer meaning it has to try harder to stay fresh. There are numerous Xena-type characters but the Doctor is vastly different from Ellen Ripley who as a combative female is probably closer to Xena than the Doctor. Xena, Buffy, Ripley are all American.

The Alien films are a good example of a character that shouldn’t change gender because of the various Freudian and feminist horror themes. Bond is a symbol of masculinity. Xena is designed to attract men who want to look at scantily clad women which isn’t a narrative reason to have her remain female. Conan manages alright. Buffy is subverting hero expectations, Ben the Vampire Slayer just doesn’t sound the same. But outside of the Doctor has always been a man, what narrative reason does he have to be a man in the first place?

A character that solves problems in a non-violent way by thinking around the problem.

Why let the dominant patriarchal ideology of 50 years ago affect the casting decisions of the 21st century?

Well if you want to look at it that way then a female Doctor is primarily aimed at the trans community. It is a man turning into a woman. Even it doesn't bring to light the actual hard times trans people go through, that is what the writers, the critics, the feminists who want it are pushing it as.

Trans people are a ridiculously tiny proportion of society. Practically less than 1 percent. So you've taken the Doctor from being a character little boys could relate to, to being one that possibly the tiniest percentage of the entire population can.

If Xena's a man then half the population can relate to him, same way that half the population can relate to the Doctor now.

Also about Xena's appeal being simply idolizing the female form, I think that's a bit unfair. I am not going to deny that obviously Xena, Alti and Callisto are sexy as fuck! However that's not really what Xena's main audience are.

Be honest how many male fans of Xena do you know? Look at this forum. I'm sure everybody here fancies the women in those clips I posted, but I doubt that apart from me there are any fans of Xena here on this forum populated by guys.

At the end of the day a show has to survive on more than that, particularly in this day and age.

In fact I'd argue that there is a greater market for the female gaze for want of a better term than the male one.

Look at it this way what's more popular Twilight or Xena? Also I might add guys don't go online and write lesbian fan fic about the Charmed sisters or Xena and Alti the way women and gay men do about hunky straight leads. (Or if they do its not as common.)

Also look at the Doctor. In order to succeed in the modern world he had to be made into someone that young fangirls would drool over.

Imagine if for again say Miss Marple a non sexualized female hero they had to make her into someone like Maggie Q or Lucy Lawless and furthermore rewrite her to be a young man's idea of the perfect woman.

Musicians whole careers are spent on being appealing to young female audiences. Like look at One Direction. Would you say that its all young boys who are fans of Girls Aloud?

So yeah get in two big hunks and you'd ironically probably get a wider audience than if it was two big babes.

And as Rob pointed out the whole "there is no reason for him to be a man just because he has always been a man" argument is flawed. The fact that he has always been a man is good enough! He's been a man for 50 years, all of his relationships are from a male perspective, audiences around the globe have both always related to him as a man, (both men and women), to act as though he is A/ genderless or B/ could be a woman and it wouldn't make any difference is just silly.

Now again I have already gone over why I think the differences are bad, but not one person has ever given a reason as to why these changes would be brilliant for the show, so they often fall back on a vague argument of "ALL CHANGE IS GOOD" or just abuse "YOU SEXIST, CIS WHITE, TRANSPHOBIC SCUMBAG!"

View user profile

29 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Clayton should be Xena the Warrior Prince/ss in this remake. He is fierce. LOL

What am I saying, he is probably fully booked in this year's panto.

View user profile

30 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:26 pm

@Mr. Happy wrote:Clayton should be Xena the Warrior Prince/ss in this remake. He is fierce. LOL

What am I saying, he is probably fully booked in this year's panto.

Thank you for putting the image of Clayton Hickman in the Xena suit in my head LOL LOL LOL

I wonder though out of Xena, Callisto and Alti who would you snog, marry and get tortured by in a kinky S and M way?

I'd snog Callisto cause she is pretty, marry Xena cause she is the perfect woman, and I'd let Alti do all kinds of nasty stuff to me because she's nuts.

View user profile

31 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm

If Xena can shape shift then you could have all three in one woman Razz

Do you reckon Kate Beckinsale would make a good Xena?

View user profile

32 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:23 pm

@Mr. Happy wrote:If Xena can shape shift then you could have all three in one woman  Razz

Do you reckon Kate Beckinsale would make a good Xena?

Hmm interesting choice. She is quite a good actress, gorgeous and can do action movies well. I think the problem with Xena is though you need someone who is a bit more rough around the edges. What was good about Lucy Lawless was, as gorgeous as she was, she really was a lot less polished than other female leads in a lot of ways.

I'm not sure there are many leading ladies that would do things like smell their armpits, wipe their arses on their friends scrolls, spit flaming booze on people and vomit everywhere and get head lice.

View user profile

33 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Kristen Johnston?

View user profile

34 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Oh my god talk about coincidences. They just cancelled the Xena reboot LOL. Maybe they saw this post and got scared that a bunch of whiny little MRA cunts would bully the makers of the show and slander them and the fans until the makers caved and cast Ross Kemp as Xena LOL

View user profile

35 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:40 pm

@burrunjor wrote: Maybe they saw this post and got scared that a bunch of whiny little MRA cunts would bully the makers of the show and slander them and the fans until the makers caved and cast Ross Kemp as Xena LOL

I think Ross Kemp would make a pretty good Xena myself, I think it's about time!

I haven't watched a single full episode of Xena whatsoever by the way, but anyone who disagrees with my decision is obviously a fucking backward-looking misandrist oppressive hater living in fucking primitive times, fuck off back to your cave.

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

36 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Adam Ant Driver

avatar
Dick Tater


ROSS KEMP: EXTREME WARRIOR PRINCESS

View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

37 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 pm

I think Ross Kemp would make a pretty good Xena myself, I think it's about time!

I haven't watched a single full episode of Xena whatsoever by the way, but anyone who disagrees with my decision is obviously a fucking backward-looking misandrist oppressive hater living in fucking primitive times, fuck off back to your cave.

Well duh and all the Xena fan girls who don't want Ross Kemp playing their precious are clearly ugly, fat, lesbian virgins who hate men because no man would ever want to fuck them in a million years. I bet they are all disgusting bloody little poor people too!

Also Rob don't forget a fangirl who has seen every single episode of Xena, knows the names of all the actors in it like Claire Stansfield, Hudson Leick, Lucy Lawless, has been going to Xena conventions her whole life, has the main cast members autographs, has had to endure people making fun of her for liking that silly cheesy, camp 90's show, she isn't a true fan compared to you Rob.

And she is so entitled wanting Xena to remain the same character she fell in love with compared to you who has come later to it than everybody else and wants it ALL changed to go your way.

Any life long Xena fan who is angry that the makers are pandering to you whose come later than everyone else Rob, knows fuck all about the show and character, but has simply screamed the loudest and hurled the most disgusting abuse at the real fans who supported the show through dark times clearly just has a problem with men. Poor little entitled fangirls I sooooooooooo hope Ross Kemp is Xena just to see those little fucking gay bitches cry.

I'm not sexist by the way. I have 0 problems with women, but anyone who disagrees with me has a problem with men.

All kidding aside its hard to believe that this shit is literally no different to the actual arguments that were put forward by the media, former writers on the series and high profile fans as to why they should completely rewrite the shows history and change the gender of a character LOL LOL LOL

“Supposedly well-meaning observers always like to come in and say that hardcore fans simply won’t accept a woman portraying the Doctor. This attitude does both the show and our fandom a disservice. While there is always a smattering of assholes to prove this type of attitude does exist, they aren’t even close to a majority. And even if it were true, we should not let the direction of the show be dictated by the worst of its fans. If a misogynistic jerk who disparagingly refers to a woman Doctor as “The Nurse” says he’ll quit watching the show, he’s exactly the type of fan we should be proud to piss off. I promise, plenty of new fans (especially ones with disposable income!) are waiting in the wings to take his place.”

Dear God Please Let The Identity of 13th Doctor Upset

I Am Delighted To Annoy The Wrong People

“I think he’s a great choice!” Cornell enthuses, “I would’ve preferred a woman though… I got really annoyed at lots of my friends in the Doctor Who fandom, I’d no idea they’d react so conservatively and negatively to [the idea of a female Doctor]. They seemed to think it was okay to say an awful lot of s***.” Does he think we’ll ever see a female doctor? “Maybe! Neil [Gaiman] changed the world by including that one line in his script about a woman having been a Timelord before, so that opened up the possibility”


And feminists wonder why everybody hates them? Its a mystery alright Big Grin

View user profile

38 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:54 pm

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:

ROSS KEMP: EXTREME WARRIOR PRINCESS

Dying of laughter! Please do one of Brian Blessed as Susan (which should also happen as hey its canon and apparently there is no continuity between different versions of time lords and if you think there are, then you are a sexist cunt)

View user profile

39 Re: Is there going to be a male Xena? on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

@burrunjor wrote:Well duh and all the Xena fan girls who don't want Ross Kemp playing their precious  are clearly ugly, fat, lesbian virgins who hate men because no man would ever want to fuck them in a million years. I bet they are all disgusting bloody little poor people too!

Also Rob don't forget a fangirl who has seen every single episode of Xena, knows the names of all the actors in it like Claire Stansfield, Hudson Leick, Lucy Lawless, has been going to Xena conventions her whole life, has the main cast members autographs, has had to endure people making fun of her for liking that silly cheesy, camp 90's show, she isn't a true fan compared to you Rob.

And she is so entitled wanting Xena to remain the same character she fell in love with compared to you who has come later to it than everybody else and wants it ALL changed to go your way.

Absolutely right, these fat ugly lesbian virgins are obviously so frightened of a cock, I ask them this: "Since WHEN did Xena ever NEED a twat and pair of tits to save the day?"

Exactly.

I can't remember what episode that happened in.

How dare these out of touch, overly precious, selfish, obsessive fucking misandrists DICTATE to me over what kind of fucking Xena I want, they've already had fucking YEARS of a female Xena, they can always go back and watch that instead, the selfish cunts.

I don't need to watch a load of out dated crackly 90's cheese with crap CGI to know I'm right - fuck that shit.

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum