You are not connected. Please login or register

What books are you reading?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 What books are you reading? on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Currently starting the third book of Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem Trilogy.

The series gets progressively better as you go along. Definitely one of the best series of hard sc-fi books I've ever read.

It deals with issues like alien invasion, the Fermi paradox, galactic communication, the human spirit, betrayal, runaway climate change and technological progress.

The revelation at the end of The Dark Forest (book two) is a staggering insight as to why we appear to be relatively alone in the universe. It's so feasible that you'd think it was slap-in-the-face obvious in retrospect, but I've only ever heard a notion like it once before.

2 Re: What books are you reading? on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 pm

I was reading Time and Relative Dissertations in Space but I was reading it out of order and then put it down for a couple of weeks and then forgot what bits I had read and what bits I had not.

So I started Keith Booker's The Dystopian Impulse in Modern Literature: Fiction as Social Criticism. It's alright.

The most interesting thing I have read lately is how Paramount bought the film rights for War of the Worlds from H.G. Wells in 1925 and there were several failed attempts to get it green lit. Hitchcock was lined up at one point in the '30s.

It was a magazine article but it's mentioned here: http://markbourne.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/alternate-universe-movies-alfred.html

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum