Mott1
Zarius
Defeatment
Boofer
Mike
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 4:41 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Join the club.

Thankfully, the faint death knells of the genre grow louder with each passing day.

RazörFist's analysis is pretty much spot-on here. (Not a bad channel if you can overlook his minigun delivery and occasional forays into right-wing politics.)

And there are a few politically incorrect jokes in there that'll inevitably make the 'strong alpha males' on here woop with delight.  Wink

2Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 5:25 pm

Mott1

Mott1

He looks a bit like me, with long hair!

I'm sick of them too. People seem to be attaching too much importance to the Wonder Woman film, and the last series of superhero films that made me get involved with the heroes were the Dark Knight & Sam Raimi Spiderman movies. And why they felt the need to reboot The Fantastic Four is beyond me!

3Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 5:40 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Birdman director Alejandro G. Iñárritu also criticised them recently, telling Deadline: “I think there’s nothing wrong with being fixated on superheroes when you are 7 years old, but I think there’s a disease in not growing up.

“I sometimes enjoy them because they are basic and simple and go well with popcorn. The problem is that sometimes they purport to be profound, based on some Greek mythological kind of thing. And they are honestly very right wing. I always see them as killing people because they do not believe in what you believe, or they are not being who you want them to be. I hate that, and don’t respond to those characters.

“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/the-death-of-superhero-movies-is-coming-promises-steven-spielberg-10484025.html

4Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 6:01 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

5Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 6:07 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Interesting stuff, Rawkus, ta!

6Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 7:40 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I have little love for the superhero genre and the neocolonialism generated by the success of these films worries me a bit. I remember posting an article on the old hive that argued that these monolithic franchises were actually driving a large number of people away from the cinema and doing more harm to the film industry than good.

I try and limit my visits to the cinema to SF and British films in the same way I vote labour or buy free range eggs and fair trade products. SF is equally good as escapism.

Films industry like any other is cyclic and I like forward to a step away from the current fad. Part of the problem seems to be listening to the average cinema goer too much rather than striving for artistic and creative freedom.

I am not sure that the trend will only last 10 or 20 years like the Westerns as society is very different and streaming services like Netflix may come to dominate. Hopefully, once the Superhero genre has finished disappearing up its own arse by bringing niche characters Ant-Man to the screen or burying itself under mountains of continuity and alternate universes and team ups they will then fuck off to Netflix. And the cinema will be reclaimed.

Superhero films are a plague.

I have been watching lots of Hitchcock lately. Those were the days. Smile

7Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 7:56 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Do you think the superhero narrative has had a pernicious effect on the character of the Doctor at all?

To me, the Doctor's character has changed in irrevocable ways, nudged towards more traditional heroic values and a far cry from the reflective, compassionate anti-hero he/she used to be.

8Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 8:40 pm

Mike

Mike

Boofer wrote:Do you think the superhero narrative has had a pernicious effect on the character of the Doctor at all?

To me, the Doctor's character has changed in irrevocable ways, nudged towards more traditional heroic values and a far cry from the reflective, compassionate anti-hero he/she used to be.

I think it probably has, but that both are reflective of societal changes on a broader scale. Why do we need to see superheroes?

9Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 9:07 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Boofer wrote:Do you think the superhero narrative has had a pernicious effect on the character of the Doctor at all?

Look at the way he points the sonic screwdriver like a weapon and the way RTD would give him hyperbolic labels like the oncoming storm but they are superficial similarities. The modern TV emulates cinema and we have the fast paced action that lacks suspense.

The Doctor started to move away from the anti-hero with Troughton but he was still the underdog and it was Cartmel that made him more god-like. In his book, Script Doctor, I am pretty sure he mentions being a big comic book fan.

I was watching Robocop the other day and it feels like a SF superhero film. A single protagonist with extraordinary abilities in a good vs. evil duel and no shades of grey.

Again Hartnell was an explorer, at least to begin with, and with Troughton and the introduction of more regular monsters it becomes more superhero-ish. This last series, though, has had a lot of antagonists that weren't as evil as they seemed.

Heather the puddle, the mistaken robots in Smile, Missy was turning good and in the finale he said "People get the Cybermen wrong. There's no evil plan, no evil genius. Just parallel evolution." Capaldi's whole tenure started with whether he was a 'good man'.

Evil has been shown to be more of a choice in the Capaldi era rather than 'Might makes right' that Letts spoke of when he compared Doctor Who to Bond and Superheros.

10Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 9:09 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Mike wrote:

I think it probably has, but that both are reflective of societal changes on a broader scale. Why do we need to see superheroes?

We feel uneasy in a chaotic, hyper-normalised world and need to sate our need for order, morality and negentropy because cosumerism has failed to plug the spiritual vacuum in our lives.

It seems (to me anyway) that we have become so self-focused, so solipsist , that superheroes are way to escape that world, to give ourselves up to something, have faith in them.

It's driven by a sense of helplessness because the narratives of those in in power are failing. We know they aren't the real arbiters or decision makers, and we know they know they aren't. And, in turn, that means we feel powerless too.

11Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 9:53 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

12Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 10:14 pm

Mike

Mike

Boofer wrote:
Mike wrote:

We feel uneasy in a chaotic, hyper-normalised world and need to sate our need for order, morality and negentropy because cosumerism has failed to plug the spiritual vacuum in our lives.

It seems (to me anyway) that we have become so self-focused, so solipsist , that superheroes are way to escape that world, to give ourselves up to something, have faith in them.

It's driven by a sense of helplessness because the narratives of those in in power are failing. We know they aren't the real arbiters or decision makers, and we know they know they aren't. And, in turn, that means we feel powerless too.
I think this is on point, and I am reminded of Walter Benjamin's remarks on cartoons.

He basically says that, for the proletariat, who has no control over their daily lives, whose day-to-day life is exploitation, who are so alienated from the world, cartoons represent an enormous satisfaction - seeing how Mickey Mouse manages to escape certain death in completely impossible ways, for instance.

On the other end of the scale, Adorno remarks that Daffy Duck's mishaps prepare us for our own beatings.

13Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 10:27 pm

Defeatment

If only Superhero films did stuff like this then they'd be more interesting!

14Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 11:40 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

"You can't consume much if you sit still and read books."

Most of the money that these franchisees make is from merchandising. America's favourite past time: consumerism. Superman is an obvious analogue for the American Dream. Captain America, a true blue American. Consumerism, nationalism and let's not forget the rich. Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark. You don't get many working class superheroes like Peter Parker who is more the exception.

15Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 22nd July 2017, 11:41 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

16Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 23rd July 2017, 12:32 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Was totaly numb to the JL trailer, and they've turned the latest Thor into a Guardians movie because they got nervous his usual themes and tones drove away audiennces last time

Now I hear they're going to adapt Flashpoinnt to the big screen...meaning a timelinne reboot is coming

Much prefer the tv stuff and comics from DC nowadays

17Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 23rd January 2018, 10:07 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

18Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 30th April 2018, 5:43 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

From FB: "This article's worth a read, but I don't think superheroes are tools of neoliberalism so much that we live in a time where we *really* want clearly identified good and evil, conflicts that end decisively, and to believe that ordinary people aren't complicit. Where 'extremist religion' means a Norse trickster god and that the First World War was caused by Ares. Where there are countries run by black people and women, and they're utopia precisely because white guys aren't allowed in to ruin them. We want escapism, because you can't punch a hyperobject like climate change, collusion or Brexit. The DC films, adapting comics from the boom years of the eighties, when the stories were about 'wait a minute, booming for who? What about those left behind?' are bombing, the ones written for younger audiences in times of war - WW2 and Vietnam - can't go wrong."

Link to the article:

https://www.salon.com/2018/04/28/how-superhero-films-became-the-guiding-myth-of-neoliberalism/

19Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 13th May 2018, 5:53 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

https://twitter.com/ElSandifer/status/995120359698518018

Sandifer accuses somebody of "cheap superhero apologism" LOL

Sandifer really has been on his high horse since becoming a woman

20Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 24th May 2018, 6:03 pm

Mott1

Mott1

The superhero boom certainly had a regrettable influence on Bond (Die Another Day's villain). It's curious that as Bond then went more towards Bourne the superhero franchises then went darker too (for a while anyway).

21Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 24th May 2018, 7:45 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

The only "Superhero" movie I'm interested in seeing is a Marshall Law one.

He hunts the fuckers and kills them.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

22Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 24th May 2018, 9:21 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

Never really been a huge superhero fan myself either to be honest. I like the first two Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies and a couple of the X-Men films, but that's about as far as it goes really.

23Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 24th May 2018, 9:24 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

DeadManRising wrote:Never really been a huge superhero fan myself either to be honest. I like the first two Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies and a couple of the X-Men films, but that's about as far as it goes really.  

I agree with the first Maguire Spider-Man film but I was so disappointed with the sequels.

I quite like the 1994 Shadow movie starring Alec Baldwin. Some of the Christopher Reeve Superman flicks weren't so bad either. Burton's Batman films are decent.

Last edited by Commander Maxil on 24th May 2018, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

24Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 24th May 2018, 9:26 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I like Nolan's Batman films because they are gritty and half-realistic, Avengers nonsense is not for me.

25Sick of fucking superhero movies? Empty Re: Sick of fucking superhero movies? 24th May 2018, 9:41 pm

DeadManRising

DeadManRising

I agree with the first Maguire Spider-Man film but I was so disappointed with the sequels.

I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a movie than Spiderman 3. Holy fuck, that film was such a steaming pile of garbage.

Retconning Uncle Ben's killer, Harry forgetting what happened to his father due to a super convenient bout of amnesia, the cringe worthy scenes with Emo Peter, Venom hardly getting any screen time and Harry's manservant waiting over five fucking years to tell him how his father really died for some utterly bizarre reason.

What on earth were the writers smoking when they wrote this abomination?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum